My wife is headed to chicago...what to arm her with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    My wife is going to a conference in chicago the weekend of June 8/9th
    I was really hoping she would be able to carry her firearm by that time but it looks very unlikely.

So what should i send her packing with?
    Kitty keychain?
    mace?
    tact light?
    quick deploy knife?
    brass knuckles?
    brass knuckles knife? (cliffhanger anyone?)

She has been carrying every day for a little over a year now and its dawning on her that she doesnt feel safe without her firearm (WIN!!!!)
    Any suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    According to the Chief of Police up that way... vomit and urine.

Knives smaller than 2.5" blades are legal.
    Mace is legal.
    Flashlights would be legal.
    Brass knuckles, and likely the "kitty keychain", are illegal (on any public transit, and in the stations): Ill COMP STAT § 6 : Illinois Statutes - Section 6

The worry is that she would be armed with the above... and going up against a punk with a gun.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    a whisle, and hope she doesn't damage the criminals hearing with it or she could be sued for hurting the poor guy....insert purple where needed

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Remember that in IL and Chicago in particular the really want to protect their criminals. So just about anything that might be used to cause harm to one is illegal.

Sad, but true!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    yeah, she will be in the downtown area near the pier the whole weekend
    call me paranoid, but man i would feel a lot better if she was able to take her SR9c with her

For what it's worth, that is the safest area of Chicago, if you can call any place truly safe. My daughter currently lives on the river just off the pier and says as long as you pay attention, you should be ok.

While you can never get away from the pick-pocket types, the gang types don't usually populate the "Magnificent Mile" area.

My suggestion, Mace is the best choice in the unconstitutional city of Chicago. That and 100% situational awareness.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    I have to go up there fairly often. That is a one of the safer areas if there is such a thing. I always make sure I have a very strong, sturdy (metal if possible) fountain pen with me...it's certainly not the best option, but a jab to the throat or an eye would more than sting.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    yeah, she will be in the downtown area near the pier the whole weekend
    call me paranoid, but man i would feel a lot better if she was able to take her SR9c with her

You aren't paranoid. You're watching out for your wife.:yesway: I would be the same way with any of my family. I would worry to death about her.

:+1: to the SR9c. Great gun! Love mine!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My wife is going to a conference in chicago the weekend of June 8/9th
    I was really hoping she would be able to carry her firearm by that time but it looks very unlikely.

So what should i send her packing with?
    Kitty keychain?
    mace?
    tact light?
    quick deploy knife?
    brass knuckles?
    brass knuckles knife? (cliffhanger anyone?)

She has been carrying every day for a little over a year now and its dawning on her that she doesnt feel safe without her firearm (WIN!!!!)
    Any suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

Give her a big box of Common Sense and tell her not to go. :(

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Arm her with information and situational awareness and she will be fine.

That is a very safe area of the city. 90% of the problems in the city are thug against thug and occur in the thug infested areas. Stay out of those areas and the city is actually a pretty safe place. Beautiful too. One of the nicer big cities I've ever been to see.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I've been to Chicago many times; stayed mostly in the downtown area. Use common sense. Stay in groups, go to established places (not the time to look for that outside mainstream bar, etc), and SITUATIONAL awareness. The one time I felt threaten ( my perception) was when I got off at the wrong train stop.

Most of the time I was alone and walked to most places downtown. No issues.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Sorry Indykid, but you should search "Chicago wilding" on Google or YouTube then reevaluate how safe the area is for tourists. I am a private detective who offices on Michigan Ave and suggest tourists take extra precautions on the Mag Mile or Navy Pier.

Kwood, I recommend your wife take Fox Labs pepper spray. Use cabs for door to door transportation and keep valuables out of sight.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Wad of Cash

Kwood, I recommend your wife take Fox Labs pepper spray. Use cabs for door to door transportation and keep valuables out of sight.

Yep. Go for the cabs and have exact change w/ tip available in cash. Only pull out what is needed for that particular cab ride and keep the rest of the wad of cash buried deep and out of sight.

Also put the phone away while out and about so she can be aware of her surroundings instead of tied to the idiot box in her hand.

A good map so she knows where she should be and more importantly when she is drifting into an area she should not be.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    how is the area around union station?
    thats where her bus station is
    i believe she will be getting free shuttle service from the sheridan hotel to the pier every day

Top Bottom