• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    These threads scare me and make me think of what my life might be like someday.:nailbite: But in the meantime I will continue and enjoy the single life!:rockwoot: :ar15:

Same here. That's why right now I'm working on getting all the guns, car performance parts, and other stuff that I want. So that I don't have to worry about it later when I get married. :D

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    the hard part is getting new , bigger gun safes without the usual " why do you need a bigger safe if you haven't bought any more guns ." Then I fess up and offer to sell a few . Works most of the time .

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    These threads scare me and make me think of what my life might be like someday.:nailbite: But in the meantime I will continue and enjoy the single life!:rockwoot: :ar15:

Don't let 'em scare you! My wife is the best shooting buddy I've ever had.

My wife is involved in all my gun trades and purchases, cause she wants to be and gives good input. We keep the number of guns each has at a fairly even balance to keep one or the other from getting jealous :D

The one time she interfered with a gun purchase was when I was about to buy a Ruger 345. I'd really wanted one, but she stopped me and said she wanted me to get the 3" SP101 that was sitting next to it. She liked the looks and feel of the gun, and she liked the ability to use snake shot and the thought that I could use .357s when we were camping or hiking in case a black bear got a little too aggressive. I was a little put out, cause I really wanted that 345, but gave in. She was right, it turns out. That little revolver was perhaps the best all around handgun I've ever owned in many respects.

JLawsonTXRH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    My wife has only shot a couple of times. It doesn't thrill her, but she knows how to shoot and knows not to be scared of our guns. She honestly doesn't know how much I've spent on goodies over the years, but I have never given her a hard time about anything she buys. I guess we have an understanding.

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    I get one big purchase a year, whether it be a tv, ps3, gun, crate of ammo, parts for an AR, whatever. Its not so much about permission as much as financial. She doesnt understand why I need different guns, to her rifles and handguns all do the same thing :xmad::eek: and she doesnt want to but its my thing so...:dunno:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I send mine to the kitchen barefoot to make sammiches while I gun shop.

Seriously, most of the time I just say I'm buying one that I've saved up for after researching it. The next to last one I bought was a couple hundred dollars...I brought it home and showed it to Mr.Jet...he plunked that much cash down on the table and said, "There...consider it a birthday present because I didn't know what to get you and it's coming up fast".
    I'm good with that.
    Whatever my wife wants for her Birthday or such, she buys, shows it to me and says "see what you bought me for my Birthday?" I say "That's nice." and pay the credit card charges......simple, eh? :cool:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    We don't really do the "yours and mine" thing. It is all "ours". If I want a new gun, we talk about it, look at our finances and see if we can swing it, then make a decision. And I don't keep any gun purchases from her either. Even if I tried...SHE WOULD KNOW (she can read me like a book). :cool:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Been down this road. Good Lord, I thought that a horse just ate grass and stood in a field. Not so. The thing required more care than a nursing home patient. Ours was a "Free Horse". You know what that means. I feel your pain.

That's a high maintainence hobby!

After 31 years Mrs. Leadeye just comments if she likes the look of a new purchase.:)

Horses......there are two standing in the rain out back looking at me as I type this......

They are looking at me like its 4 PM. Don't get between me and them when I bring the sweet feed to them.

My wife comes from two different former "horse families". Her dad / step mom and her step mom's family were BIG TIME horse people. We're talking about national Appaloosa shows, professional showing/riding, etc. Her dad was once offered $50,000 for a GELDING. That horse was so broke, my wife says that when the ring announcer would say the wanted cadence into the microphone, that he'd just go ahead and do it without further prompting.

Wife's mom has had a few horses in her life, too.

"Our" horse is 17-is years old right now. Appaloosa. He was born on my wife's farm when she was...13, I guess it was. She raised him, broke him, trained him.

Then, she went on a month-long exchange program to Italy; when she returned, the learned they'd sold him.

Fast forward until about 5 years ago... She gets a random email from the people that bought the horse. They were either going to sell him or give him away. Said that she could have him back if she wanted him. Kind of a cool story.

She took him back, found a barn to board him, etc. Even though she could barely afford to feed herself at the time.

Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking ever being interested in a "horse person". :D

But, that's her hobby and her therapy.

My hobby and therapy is firearms and shooting; and she understands.

Heaven forbid, though, that we let that horse starve so I can buy a new gun. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Every time I go to a gun show my wife says "don't buy anything". I just laugh. She thinks I have too many guns (8). We are in good shape financially, and I do a lot of research before buying a gun. Now I just tell her what I'm going to get. Sold three guns this year, and the money is burning a hole. I tell my single friends and relatives to buy all the guns they can prior to the ceremony and make sure she understands that there will be more.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    lots of posts in here that could be scaring the single guys.

Answer: Get a girlfriend who you can go shooting with! If she has never been shooting before, introduce her to it! If shes still not into it, well how compatable are you going to be in the future?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Whatever my wife wants for her Birthday or such, she buys, shows it to me and says "see what you bought me for my Birthday?" I say "That's nice." and pay the credit card charges......simple, eh? :cool:

Meh. If he wouldn't have said anything, I probably wouldn't have given it a thought until I got a birthday email from someone. I usually forget. Normally, I don't get presents or cake and I've never had a birthday party that I can remember.
    So it's not that big of a deal.
    However, I was gonna have a piece of cake at the upcoming meetup in Ft.Wayne and call it my birthday party...but it turns out I'm scheduled to work!
    :):

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    My wife and I maintain separate finances for ourselves, and pay some joint bills out of a joint account. As long as we can make our nut and are being responsible about debt, what we do with our own money is our own business.

Then again, my wife is expected to work. We don't have children and we don't intend to. She's not kept. She can do whatever she wants, whenever she wants, and spend whatever she wants - because it's HER OWN MONEY.

They day she started imposing restrictions on me like that is the day I'd be calling a lawyer.

+1 My fiance and I are doing the exact same thing. Its less stressful. If I want to use MY extra $100/week to buy fast food every day, its my money to do so. If I chose to spend some or all of that money on guns, so be it. Likewise, she blows all of her extra cash on video games. There's no fighting, no judgement over how money is spent. It works out so much better than the traditional way.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Good ideas guys... In my house, Mrs. beautiful-understanding wife usually gets a new Coach purse for every gun purchase that I make. It's worked thus far for over ten years now. Needless to say - she has one hell of a purse collection:)

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Hmmm...almost 12 hours after I made that post about how this thread scares me I'm back to say I'll probably have a date this weekend.:laugh: Not 100% sure but it's likely. I'm not too sure what her stance is on firearms so I don't think I'll OC.:D (I normally don't OC anyway)

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Meh. If he wouldn't have said anything, I probably wouldn't have given it a thought until I got a birthday email from someone. I usually forget. Normally, I don't get presents or cake and I've never had a birthday party that I can remember.
    So it's not that big of a deal.
    However, I was gonna have a piece of cake at the upcoming meetup in Ft.Wayne and call it my birthday party...but it turns out I'm scheduled to work!
    :):

Happy Birthday JetGirl!

My big purchases don't happen until I have saved up enough out of my O.T. pay. Anything small like ammo and such isn't a big deal.

gmotox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Illinois
    Guess I'm just lucky my wife talked me into buyn my first gun. (glock 23c) then we went shopping for her within three weeks we bought 11 guns. Now she wants me to become a dealer. Have my little sister and her husband both police officers and teachers at pti the police academy her in town teaching they are now teaching us how to shoot. So I guess now it's kinda our date night we go and shoot, she really likes it and I love it. It's become something we can do together and now just this evening she's talked me into to start looking for a gun for my ten year old to learn how to shoot with us. So I guess I'm extremely lucky to have a laid back cool wife.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    After 20 plus years together I have found that it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I just buy what I want as long as I have the extra cash ,and deal with the complaints . She doesn't complain too much unless I spend a whole lot real quick.
    She pretty much does the same and it works fine.

Top Bottom