My web gear/pack and 20 miles in a canoe.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My family and I took an overnight canoe trip on the Green River through Mammoth Cave National Park. I used the trip to "test" some new gear and an Eberlestock Fac Trac pack that I've had for a while..
    DSCF0631.jpg

DSCF0632.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

DSCF0641.jpg

The belt is a Condor "Tactical Gear MultiCam Battle Belt" wrapped around a Condor "Tactical Belt." I've never owned a "War Belt" before, but "buy once, cry once" applies to them just like anything else. Maybe I was expecting too much, but the cushioned part wanted to rotate; it seems like it could benefit from a stiffener (kydex?) to help keep it in place. I will say that it was 100% more comfortable than a nineties issue LBE. It's also made of closed cell foam so it doesn't soak up water. It did what I bought it to do, which is to allow me to carry essentials when I drop my ruck. It also integrated well with the Fac Trac. I give it a 6 out of 10.

DSCF0633.jpg

The Tactical Tailor "Triple Pistol Mag Pouch" is a quality piece of gear. It has kydex inserts that squeeze the mag and velcro flap for retention. My M&P .40 mags go in easily and come out smooth. It's built to TT's usual bombproof standards; I LOVE this pouch! The kydex squeeze is a little loose with 1911 mags but for my purposes with dbl stacks it's a 10/10.

Next is the HSGI Mini Admin Pouch. Very well built and it serves it's intended purpose. The size is good for belt attachment, but it's lacking in organization. It has a couple of mesh pockets and a, as in 1, pen holder. The zipper pulls are surprisingly noisy. 7.5/10

DSCF0635.jpg

Generic molle holster and mag pouch. Serves it purpose till I find something better, and a leatherman fits in the mag pouch. 5/10
    Also pictured is an HSGI Single Mag pouch that I bought to carry a flashlight (a Quark 123/2). I don't think anything will ever escape this pouch; it has a clip closure AND velcro. The velcro has a cover which can be tucked back into the pouch and that's what I ended up doing. It's built just as well as TT or OSOE and is the pouch of choice if you absolutely need max retention. 9/10

DSCF0636.jpg

Above is the small ATS medical pouch. I use it more as a blowout kit as there's a more extensive first aid kit in my ruck. It's the "rip-n-roll" design which makes sense to me on several levels. It holds quite a bit... QuickClot, HemoCon, CAT, etc... I need the "new" style chest seal whose name escapes me. I like it, hope I never need it. 9.5/10
    DSCF0637.jpg

DSCF0638.jpg

DSCF0639.jpg

Eberlestock "FAC TRAC." Indestructible. Very high quality. I can't compare it to a Mystery Ranch or Kirfaru as I've never seen one first hand, but I can't see how they could be any better. They may be different, but the FAC TRAC is a TANK. Molle everywhere, even on the inside. 3 liter hydration pouches x2 with hangers (I keep tent poles in one of them). If I buy another pack it will be because I need a different size. 10/10.
    DSCF0642.jpg

DSCF0643.jpg

DSCF0644.jpg

DSCF0645.jpg

DSCF0648.jpg

DSCF0650.jpg

DSCF0651.jpg

Eberlestock GP pouches... meh. They're built tough, but they unsnap easily. There are many better choices, but the smaller ones hold and MSR MiniWorks perfectly. 4/10

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Great way to keep gear dry while canoeing....is to pick up some of those 5 gallon "pickle" buckets that McDonalds uses (same as those drywall mud buckets). They seal up water tight...and float in case you tip over.

We've been using them in my family for over 35 years for just that.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Good review, looks like you had a good time..... uh, did the canoe sink? Or what? ;)

We drive right by there on our way to Dale Hallow, TN over the July 4th week.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    where can one get this pack and accessories that looks like what I am looking for.

I got my pack direct from Eberlestock. They had a fire and were selling "damaged" gear. They still have the FAC Track: Eberlestock: Web Special Offers

I wouldn't worry about the condition; mine was graded lower than what they appear have left and the only "flaw" I found on mine was that the shipping bag had melted to the pack in one small (< 1") spot.

Like I mentioned in the OP, I'd pass on the Eberlestock pouches. Go to SKD Tactical | Select Military and Law Enforcement Tactical Gear and Equipment and you'll get better pouches at a better price.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Great pack! How do you wear the pack with your "war belt"?

I wear the "war belt" slightly lower on my waist than a typical belt, and I adjusted the pack to ride a little higher than where I wore it before I got the belt. In the pic that shows the packs suspension systems, you can (barely) see black horizontal webbing on the vertical center line; the shoulder straps can be moved up or down by routing the molle/pals attachment to different places. I my case, I moved the straps down one, which raised the packs waistband just enough to clear the war belt. It's more difficult to explain than to do... The fact that I made some compromises (mounted everything low) when attaching pouches to the belt helped too.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom