• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My son is turning 13 and I'm trying to figure out what to do for him as he becomes a young man. This will be the first year he goes hunting, so I was thinking about a rifle. Maybe I'll give him my Marlin 357? I was also considering a NRA lifetime membership? Any real help would be appreciated. :ingo:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think the rifle would be a great thing! He'll cherish it now and later... The NRA membership is also a great thing but as a kid I don't think he would appreciate it until later so if you go that route I'd do something else in addition to it.

MegaTank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Goshen
    I have a 13 year old as well. I am new to guns and have not introduced him to shooting just yet. I would suggest giving him some options on a hunting rifle. Maybe take him to shoot some different ones and see what he likes. Let him choose. At that age they enjoy being able to make their own choices. At least that is what I have discovered in my experience.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    My son is turning 13 and I'm trying to figure out what to do for him as he becomes a young man. This will be the first year he goes hunting, so I was thinking about a rifle. Maybe I'll give him my Marlin 357? I was also considering a NRA lifetime membership? Any real help would be appreciated. :ingo:

Both are great ideas Que. The pass down of the Marlin will likely be treasured until he can pass it down to his son, and of course the benefits of NRA membership go way beyond protecting our 2nd amendment rights.

Something else to consider Que would be a weekend dad and son semi-survival outing. Just you and he, the outdoors, learning survival skills, and just talking...dad to son and son to dad. Have fun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I would give him a path to "earn" both of these things for himself. In my experience, "free" gifts are never really appreciated and sadly not taken proper care of or even used at all. :twocents:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I have this same bday coming up for my oldest in october. I'm debating between guns for him. He is working towards a shotgun and a handgun for shooting matches. Now I just need to figure out which route to take. I think both of your ideas are great ones but I'm with the others as far as they may not be quite fully appreciated at this age yet. Possibly better suited for an 18th birthday when they can truly grasp the meaning. In the meantime, maybe a less expensive rifle and more ammo to really get the hang of it and see if he enjoys hunting. Or start loading up the hunting gear.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Que, I really can't improve on the suggestions already made, but encourage you to remember that the important thing is that whatever you end up doing comes from the heart and that is where the real impact will be found. Your son will only see this transition once and the important thing is that he knows that you are with him as he experiences it. You have already given him what matters the most which is your love. Everything else is just details.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Either would make a great gift. I'm with bwframe, a little sweat equity would make a more valued gift experience. Congrats to son on this milestone and to you for having a son worthy/trustworthy enough to be considered for such gifts.
    Enjoy these years as they are all too fleeting.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    After I posted this I began to reconsider both of these iotions for reasons already mentioned. I figured the little guy was born in Indiana and still considers it home. Since I'll be getting one of the INGO lowers, I think we can build him a 300 Blackout together. We could get it done in time for deer season.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    After I posted this I began to reconsider both of these iotions for reasons already mentioned. I figured the little guy was born in Indiana and still considers it home. Since I'll be getting one of the INGO lowers, I think we can build him a 300 Blackout together. We could get it done in time for deer season.

Great idea Que! You two building it together is going to be one of his favorite memories - hes going to love it and be able to upgrade it or change uppers in time if he chooses(or you) - you get a nomination for "Father of the Year" in my book -

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    If he is the one I met, I would suggest a Vert Ramp or a quality skateboard. If his career aspirations have changed, then get him the .357 rifle.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Que is Virginia like the flatlands out here and you are limited to straightwall centerfire? Would you hunt in VA or perhaps go to an adjoining state where rifle hunting would be allowed. If so may I suggest a Remington Model 7 in .260 or an 1894 in 30-30. My first real rifle was not handed down to me from my dad, instead he gave me an 1894 'brush gun' and I loved that thing. Later I inherited his other rifles and they mean a great deal to me, but I still have and treasure that 94

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We can hunt with anything bigger than .223 in Virginia. I think OkieGirl posted about someone building a rifle with a kid, but I can't find it right now.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

That sounds like an awesome gift!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Whatever you decide, consider sitting down and writing a letter expressing how you feel on his turning 13. Not for him to read now but many years in the future, say when his son is 13.

Top Bottom