• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I gotta agree. WRONG GUN. Availability after the SHTF is primary. Not to mention, if you can't clean it, don't you want it to work ALL the time, no matter how bad things get. AK ALL THE WAY

Well he already bought the rifle, so he better buy plenty of ammo:twocents: he should also buy a 223 upper;)

Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Well he already bought the rifle, so he better buy plenty of ammo:twocents: he should also buy a 223 upper;)

No, I was about to buy the gun, but reading all the posts decided not to. I will stick to my SKS and Saiga. As of a few minutes I just ordered a couple of Tapco 20 rd mags and a 75 rd drum for my SKS. I decided I will just upgrade all my guns.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    No, I was about to buy the gun, but reading all the posts decided not to. I will stick to my SKS and Saiga. As of a few minutes I just ordered a couple of Tapco 20 rd mags and a 75 rd drum for my SKS. I decided I will just upgrade all my guns.

+1

There is something to be said for getting the guns you have squared away before buying more. I have been doing the same thing, adding a sidesaddle to my go-to shotgun, buying more mags for my pistols, etc.

Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I just ordered a Draco to back up my SKS. I was also looking at a Bushmaster 223, but I don't want to run a bunch of different ammo and I just can't justify running the inferior 223 round.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Plum Hollywood.

The AK-47 while a cool Hollywood gun is too slow, cumbersome and not that accurate.

Im not here to bash ya Kelevra I came into the thread late looks like ya went for an Ak, but to kind of show ya my examples of key decisions i made when choosing a SHTF rifle.
    I posted them below.

The choice very very very simple,

my choice later on in this rant,
    Nothing influenced me to get this rifle but my childhood fascination of becoming an American hero that fought off the Libyans and the Reds durring the early 80's***,ironic this will be.

I also had 7 different versions of this toy rifle when we played "war" in the neighboorhood" I really felt i was something.:D

So lets proceed Kelevra shall we.

These are descision topics that "I" felt was most essential for an enjoyable, affordable,if so a :eek:SHTF:eek: rifle.

1. The Parts
    Parts in your shtf rifle gotta be crude, and few. anyone that has the technical ability could
    re- manufacturing these at any place where there's resources to do so. When the SHTF you better believe i will trade 1 gallon of gas, and 1Lb of deer meat for a forged bolt carrier made of the best steel anyone could provide for 350 miles, safely, i mean this is my primary firearm :draw:

2. ammunition
    Gotta be afforable, since i know my budget is tight stocking up on this round if cost efficient for "me" to stock up on. It's Increasingly available and well stockpiled around the U.S. A small piece of Gold could get me a few dozen packs. Also this round is very very strong, in shtf situations
    Could hunt with it, can find it, its decently accurate, I can obtain personal large amounts of it with a limited budget.

3. effectiveness

Whats it being used for? ***well in your case SHTF. You want to trust your weapon 190,987 percent, be perfect with it, also it would be wise for it to be able to quickly disassemble,
    if alot of debris, water, etc got into the rifle, ya should not have to worry about it. When your face down in a 1ft puddle of water protecting your familly, sleeping in the garage, you better have a trusy rifle and a powerfull round.
    I mean we are talking about SHTF ya never know whats gonna happen if your perp sniping or full on chaos occurs in your back yard.
    Large capacity is a + to.

4. Cost
    This one is somewhat simple if its affordable,most effective for your needs, this would be the rifle to choose.

The conclusion
    The Rifle I chose was a Arsenal/legion Sgl, in 7.62x39
    I bought a accurate rifle at a super reduced price that I could afford. "My" choice fulfilled every hypothetical shtf situation that I though of.

Your original choice absolutly did not, at least for another 150 years when that round becomes somewhat suplus:fogey:
    Im not trying to be silly but what did you mean by "Hollywoood" and "inaccurate"? :dunno: ,
    I have one of those 1000.00 AKs that i got for 600 with shipping when Kvar had the SGL sale. With this rifle I have got to know it, inside out, Ive learned to press my current limitations with this rifle and round. With a 25 dollar UTG recoil / extension pad, surplus Russian plum poly furniture, mount, and a cheap 25$ leepers scope im a baddddd boy with it. :rolleyes: hey im broke.

Well i hope this and other INgoers post's had made your descision making a little bit sharper.

Oh ya how this for "Hollywood" and inaccurate
    S5030797.jpg

the one on the left at 140 yards 10 shots
    calm setting

one on the right 100yds
    A little quicker, last 4 shots were fast shooting, still VERY acceptable accurate shooting for a 7.62x39.

Last edited:

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    Late to the show

I'm sticking with my Mini-14 for SHTF use.It shoots .223 or 5.56 and I have several 30rnd mags.The ammo is cheap and it can shoot 45grn up to 68grn,steel case,brass case,it does not matter.It has never had an issue except when I was experimenting with different gas bushings,recoil springs and a buffer system.Unlike an ar it can go 1000's of rounds without worrying about reliability due to not cleaning it.I know its not very accurate but I have a red dot mounted on it anyway.I can easily unload a 30rnd mag at 100yrds very quickly and obliterate an 8inch target.I think that will be enough to get the job done for me.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm sticking with my Mini-14 for SHTF use.It shoots .223 or 5.56 and I have several 30rnd mags.The ammo is cheap and it can shoot 45grn up to 68grn,steel case,brass case,it does not matter.It has never had an issue except when I was experimenting with different gas bushings,recoil springs and a buffer system.Unlike an ar it can go 1000's of rounds without worrying about reliability due to not cleaning it.I know its not very accurate but I have a red dot mounted on it anyway.I can easily unload a 30rnd mag at 100yrds very quickly and obliterate an 8inch target.I think that will be enough to get the job done for me.

NOTHING wrong with the mini-14, as long as you buy quailty mags for it:yesway:

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    I've had a lot of different battle rifles over the years. Mausers, Enfield, Springfield, M1 Carbines, AR, SKS's. While I'd love to have a SOCOM M1A or an FN, FORGET IT for the money. The SKS works for me, is (reasonably) accurate, and I've managed to learn how to get 10 rounds in it on a stripper clip quickly. The bayonet's right there, and the gun is bulky and solid enough to use as a batter (if necessary) without having to worry too much about destroying it. The ammo is cheap, available, and plenty lethal. I take my online coupons from Dunham's every week or two, spend 20 bucks and come home with an extra hundred rounds. There's no real 'budget' for aquiring ammo, but it piles up pretty quickly.

In a SHTF situation, I guess I don't care too much about the asthetics of the gun, as long as it works predictably and can take a few bumps itself. Prepared as I'd like to think I am, I have my doubts about surviving a 2000 round firefight (just being realistic), but it's nice to know I can bank on the gun not failing.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The SKS = a great little gun. Very tough and reliable.
    I personally would never put a 30 round mag on one. To me 10 rounds plus plenty of ammo on stripper clips is good to go. I wouldn't want to chance compromising the reliability. The 10 round box mag works, proven point.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    The SKS = a great little gun. Very tough and reliable.
    I personally would never put a 30 round mag on one. To me 10 rounds plus plenty of ammo on stripper clips is good to go. I wouldn't want to chance compromising the reliability. The 10 round box mag works, proven point.

I have two 30 round SKS mags made by USA & they do work on my SKS:dunno:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I didn't mean to say that none of them work. I'm sure alot of them do. Then on the other hand I'd say there's some out there that don't work properly.
    I'm not willing to take a chance with them. I'm not slamming you or anyone else. Just expressing my own personal opinion, which is just that, nothing but an opinion.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I didn't mean to say that none of them work. I'm sure alot of them do. Then on the other hand I'd say there's some out there that don't work properly.
    I'm not willing to take a chance with them. I'm not slamming you or anyone else. Just expressing my own personal opinion, which is just that, nothing but an opinion.
    I'm shock that those mag work perfectly, I keep hearing how crappy the USA brand is, but I've shot close to 200 rounds & no malfuctions Y E T:D I won't buy anymore USA brand mags, I'm looking at some plastic one that CDNN sell;)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'm glad they're working out for you. Maybe USA mag has improved.
    I had several in the past. A few were good, several were so-so, and some were..... well just plain junk.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm glad they're working out for you. Maybe USA mag has improved.
    I had several in the past. A few were good, several were so-so, and some were..... well just plain junk.

I'm looking at the plastic mags for the SKS, hopefully they'll work if not, I have other semi-auto rifles;)

Top Bottom