My shield is bigger than yours! (A sad story)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just a heads up for anyone packing Glaser in the SD/HD pistol. Bad idea. Fired directly into a target they have terrible penetration, they do however have a tendency to penetrate BETTER after going through a wall (yes they still go through the wall.)

Never got full penetration through a wall when we tried. Not saying they will but we tried and no joy.

Shot a feral pig with a 1911 .45 glaser (4 direct hits at 20 ft.) and they drilled right in.

Son shot a Feral dog and it spun around and dropped on the spot. Same caliber.

Mag-safe works well also.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Never got full penetration through a wall when we tried. Not saying they will but we tried and no joy.

Shot a feral pig with a 1911 .45 glaser (4 direct hits at 20 ft.) and they drilled right in.

Son shot a Feral dog and it spun around and dropped on the spot. Same caliber.

Mag-safe works well also.

May be caliber dependent then. Saw a couple test, but all where 9mm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    May be caliber dependent then. Saw a couple test, but all where 9mm.

Never tried the 9mm version. We have them in .44 Mag and .45 ACP.
    The .44 does some damage with these rounds. I do prefer the Mag-Safe rds. over the Glaser from our own impromptu non scientific red-neck testing......:):
    but Glasers are easier to find.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    WoW! WJ, thanks for sharing, I can't tell you how much I've learned from this post, and the additional reading I've been doing with regards to the rounds I have. I too will have to (as a safety measure) replace my ammo every year or so. I have some that's at least 3 to 5 years old, and have never checked for seating! This was an eye opener!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Glad your ok, my grandpa had a .357 blast off a bad round, which detonated a round next to it, something like that, I wasn't born at the time, but the shrapnel came back and blinded him in one eye!

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    resolution

Just an update to anyone interested...

S&W stated that they believe the gun did not malfunction and that their best guess was an over charged round. They offered to replace the gun at a reduced rate. After discussing the possibility of just having them send the gun back to me so that I would have my magazines, they lowered the replacement price even lower. I agreed to the deal and in addition they sent me the original magazines to keep.

I also forwarded their comments and a couple pictures to Corbon. Corbon was not responsible for these rounds since they bought the Glaser company after these were made but without me asking, they offered to pay the portion S&W was charging me for replacement.

I am very happy with the customer service at both S&W and Corbon and feel that both companies went above and beyond to help me resolve this issue. I also want to make it clear that I did not try to "strong arm" or "bargain" with either company. I just contacted customer service and let them know what happened. They took the lead and offered to help me. Something to remember for all of us when we work with these companies. Again, both S&W and Corbon treated me very well!

In addition to the replacement shield, my wife bought a shield and I bought a full size M&P 9. Glad to be shooting again!

Thanks again for everyone's comments in this thread. I appreciate all the support.

WallyJJ

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just an update to anyone interested...

S&W stated that they believe the gun did not malfunction and that their best guess was an over charged round. They offered to replace the gun at a reduced rate. After discussing the possibility of just having them send the gun back to me so that I would have my magazines, they lowered the replacement price even lower. I agreed to the deal and in addition they sent me the original magazines to keep.

I also forwarded their comments and a couple pictures to Corbon. Corbon was not responsible for these rounds since they bought the Glaser company after these were made but without me asking, they offered to pay the portion S&W was charging me for replacement.

I am very happy with the customer service at both S&W and Corbon and feel that both companies went above and beyond to help me resolve this issue. I also want to make it clear that I did not try to "strong arm" or "bargain" with either company. I just contacted customer service and let them know what happened. They took the lead and offered to help me. Something to remember for all of us when we work with these companies. Again, both S&W and Corbon treated me very well!

In addition to the replacement shield, my wife bought a shield and I bought a full size M&P 9. Glad to be shooting again!

Thanks again for everyone's comments in this thread. I appreciate all the support.

WallyJJ

Thanks for the update, and nice to hear that both companies stepped up.:yesway:

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Wow what a post I have learn a lot I am glad everything worked out so well makes me think about ammo i have had a long time some I bought some I have reloaded

michelob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I'm glad I came across this thread. First off, I'm glad that OP is ok after that incident. It's also good that S&W and CorBon worked with him to make it right. I now have to think about how I treat my SD ammo. I have recently switched from .40 to .45. I sold my .40 Shield and replaced it with an XDs, and traded my HK USP compact .40 for a Kimber Pro CDP II. I am trying to replenish my ammo supply. We all know it is difficult in these times...Anyhow, my defense ammo for my .40s was old. I mean several years old. I guess I'm just going to have to start cycling through my defense rounds annually. It'll be fun. Expensive, but fun.

Thanks OP. Good luck!

s&wluvr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    LaPorte/Michigan City area
    I, too learned a lot from this thread. Thank you for sharing and thanks to all who responded. I certainly will start to use my older self defense hollow points up and but new on an annual basis. This makes a lot of sense and can certainly alleviate any safety issues that could arise. Again, thanks everyone.

Top Bottom