My shield is bigger than yours! (A sad story)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It makes me wonder a lot about using those special high end bullets that everyone puts in their gun for carry but never get around to shooting so they can "save" them or just because they are so expensive...

Here's what I do. When I choose a new defensive ammo, I bite the bullet (so to speak) and fire in excess of 50 rounds, closer to 100, through any magazine I plan on carrying, so I have confidence that it will feed reliably and hit to point of aim. Then I practice with ball ammo that is the same weight and velocity so that the felt recoil is close enough that I can't feel the difference. I then make sure and fire through the carry stuff at least once a year and get new carry ammo.

Costs a little, but pays great dividends in peace of mind knowing that the ammo should never be an issue and I know exactly what to expect from it.

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    When you had this ammo in your defensive gun, did you tend to load/unload it a lot? Example: load it, go to the range and unload to do some shooting with FMJ, reload to go home, get home and unload to clean, then reload, etc.. If so, it can definitely cause "setback" in the ammo, particularly if you load/chamber the same round every time. I make a habit of alternating which round I chamber as well as sometimes checking OAL of old rounds (been loaded for a long time) when compared to new rounds periodically.

As far as where to measure, I believe they want you to measure from the base of the brass to the tip of the bullet/polymer. It's basically the overall length of the round. This can then be compared to the OAL of factory ammo.

If these were stored in the gun I really don't think it was for very long as I would generally prefer some form of hollow point. I can't imagine they would have been unloaded and reloaded more than a couple times and that's probably being generous.

WallyJJ

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    As far as where to measure, I believe they want you to measure from the base of the brass to the tip of the bullet/polymer. It's basically the overall length of the round. This can then be compared to the OAL of factory ammo.

I measured from the base of the brass to the bullet tip on 5 samples of what I was shooting prior as well as the 5 rounds of the glaser that I had left in the magazine. Keep in mind the glaser is a rounded tip polymer and the other range ammo I was shooting was flat tipped FMJ, so I'm not sure if this is a valid measurement.

Independence brand range ammo
    1. 1.1170"
    2. 1.1155"
    3. 1.1180"
    4. 1.1140"
    5. 1.1155"

Glaser
    1. 1.1240"
    2. 1.1235"
    3. 1.1230"
    4. 1.1240"
    5. 1.1205"

I also wanted to make a point to say thanks for all the discussion in this thread. The event set me back a little and I wanted a chance to discuss it with "gun" people. Thanks for the civil discourse and helping me settle my nerves over the event. I appreciate it!

WallyJJ

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Any more of the offending ammo, OP???

You need to contact the manufacturer ASAP...provided you can determine which one.

^^^^This as well as S&W! If it was defective ammo and you have no brand, lot number, etc., S&W could tell you "too bad-so sad."

This is the first Shield I've read about blowing up out of hundreds of threads I've read. It's possibly a defective Shield, but doubtful.

Good luck!

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I measured from the base of the brass to the bullet tip on 5 samples of what I was shooting prior as well as the 5 rounds of the glaser that I had left in the magazine. Keep in mind the glaser is a rounded tip polymer and the other range ammo I was shooting was flat tipped FMJ, so I'm not sure if this is a valid measurement.

Independence brand range ammo
    1. 1.1170"
    2. 1.1155"
    3. 1.1180"
    4. 1.1140"
    5. 1.1155"

Glaser
    1. 1.1240"
    2. 1.1235"
    3. 1.1230"
    4. 1.1240"
    5. 1.1205"

I also wanted to make a point to say thanks for all the discussion in this thread. The event set me back a little and I wanted a chance to discuss it with "gun" people. Thanks for the civil discourse and helping me settle my nerves over the event. I appreciate it!

WallyJJ

Hey, no problem; that's what we're all here for! I'd say someone that has factory Glasers will have to measure theirs to see if yours are any different unless there are factory spec for them out there. Hopefully someone has some to compare yours to.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    C.O.A.L. for a 40 S&W is 1.135", slightly over the measured glasers, but without a solid measurement from another source with glasers to measure, I would not think bullet setback would be the cause in this instance.
    Whatever it was, thankfully you arent permanently injured. From the sounds of things, S&W will likely make it good for you, as I am sure the occasional (hopefully rare) KB with their new gun would be cheaper to replace now and then as opposed to the PR nightmare that this sort of thing could cause for them if they put it on someone else.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'd want to see the barrel to see if it was bulged out - if so, that would definitely indicate a squib with a follow-up shot blowing it up.

I understand the slide is locked shut and I probably wouldn't mess with it if S&W was going to possibly replace it.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Back in the 90's I used Blue Glazers in my EDC (.40 Baby Eagle), and if I remember correctly the Glazers did have a shelf life. Seems like it was around a year. I may be wrong about that but I know I would buy new every six months and then use up the 'old' Glazers and rotate in the new batch. If the first round was a squib it could have been due to moisture migrating into the powder resulting in a light to no burn (primer only burn).

They are a lot of fun to use shooting melons and gallon jugs of water though!

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Back in the 90's I used Blue Glazers in my EDC (.40 Baby Eagle), and if I remember correctly the Glazers did have a shelf life. Seems like it was around a year. I may be wrong about that but I know I would buy new every six months and then use up the 'old' Glazers and rotate in the new batch. If the first round was a squib it could have been due to moisture migrating into the powder resulting in a light to no burn (primer only burn).

Wow, if this is the case, I will need to rotate (as in replace) my nightstand ammo. I am assuming 17 year old stuff might be pushing that envelope...

quake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    I just want to say good luck to you in getting this situation resolved. I'm curious to hear what Smith's conclusion will be and whether or not they want you to send in a sample of the ammo as well.

It's good to see you were not seriously injured in this mishap. Good luck on this.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Are you serious? 17 years?

I thought 12 months for SD ammo was pushing the envelope.

The quoted post got me thinking about my blue tips and exactly when I purchased them. The when was easy, purchase date of SP 101. I immediately realized that was grossly inadequate and posted as an Awareness PSA. I might want to consider changing them at the same frequency/time I change the smoke alarm batteries.

Oh wait, dang...

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    I just want to say good luck to you in getting this situation resolved. I'm curious to hear what Smith's conclusion will be and whether or not they want you to send in a sample of the ammo as well.

It's good to see you were not seriously injured in this mishap. Good luck on this.

I received the email today with shipping instructions. It specifically states not to send any live ammunition in the package. I guess I will include a picture of what I posted a long with the letter I have to include and if they ask for it to be sent later I will.

WallyJJ

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Just a heads up for anyone packing Glaser in the SD/HD pistol. Bad idea. Fired directly into a target they have terrible penetration, they do however have a tendency to penetrate BETTER after going through a wall (yes they still go through the wall.)

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I have 4 guns that I rotate regularly and every spring I shoot all my defensive ammo for all of them and buy new stuff.

I always worry about it getting a little old and want the latest greatest if my life is on the line.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Chances are, ammo well over a year old (probably years) will work fine, and I'll take that chance with range ammo. However, not with self defense ammo.

Every once in a while, some cans or paper get the joy of having their holes made with premium Hornady hollow points rather than whatever is on sale in the FMJ range, but it's a bit more peace of mind.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

If you like to make melons and gallon jugs go pop then hit-em with a Glaser round.

Top Bottom