My S&W M&P 15 AR-15, What Accessory Next?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    AMMO

Although it is not really an accessory, if you don't shoot well it doesn't really matter what you have hanging off your weapon. Unless of course you want to die with the coolest toy.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I am also looking for an AR 15 rifle, but when I see one I can't decide what options I need. It is very confusing. I don't want to spend a fortune on a rifle, but I do want one that functions.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If it was me, I'd take off that compression quad rail and free float the barrel with a new quad rail tube that doesn't put pressure on your barrel. I'd throw away the Green dot optic you have and replace it with a good one. Replace the stock and grip. Add some Troy BUIS, if it is going to be tacticool it should at least be FUNCTIONAL. Remove the vertical fore grip. I see no reason for a 16" carbine to have a bi-pod??? Really, is it supposed to be a sniper rifle or an entry gun? Want a tripod then at least put in an 18 or 20 inch barrel under a free float tube. Pull the fire control parts and substitute a 2 stage national match trigger, or a Timney, or a Jewel, or . . .

There is so much you can do to fix that gun :twocents:

Not too sound condescending, but what parts are "cheap"?
    Anything from LEEPERS is cheap Chinese stuff. See the logo on that oversized green dot sight?

I am also looking for an AR 15 rifle, but when I see one I can't decide what options I need. It is very confusing. I don't want to spend a fortune on a rifle, but I do want one that functions.
    Just get a basic M4 style configuration and don't hang cheap parts on it. Start with the basic gun, learn to use it. Master it. Understand it inside and out. AFTER you do that then you can decide how you want to modify it for a special purpose.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Nice site esrice, thanks for the link. I used to own an AR15 about 3 years ago, sold it because of the economy. I should of mentioned this earlier. I only shot it twice, about 50 rounds total, it was very accurate. Now I want to get another one, just way too many choices. I guess I will start with a M&P 15 and add options a little at a time to see what works for me. I guess my point is I have handling many of them at the 1500 and gunshops and I am having a hard time telling the difference in a $800 gun and one that cost $1500. Heck they both shoot .223 and both are probably accurate enough and function the same, so the added cost is hard to recognize. The link explains some of the difference but it still is confussing.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am having a hard time telling the difference in a $800 gun and one that cost $1500.

Typically, the difference is reliability over time and hard use. Some folks will never run their gun enough to tell the difference, some will. For those that will (or those that will use the gun to protect life) its really worth the extra $$$ in the long run.

The closest most of us "hobby shooters" will ever get to hard use would be a carbine class, where the gun is run for extended periods in less-than-ideal conditions. Its been shown in such classes that cheap parts will fail, fall off completely, or, at worst, render the gun inoperable-- not good.

Right now the best deal running is the Spike's M4, which includes almost all of the mil-spec features shown in the article above, for only $799. If I were doing the M4 thing all over again, I'd start there.

ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5LE1] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

Fireman906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Shelbyville IN
    1. Take all the other stuff off. Dont sell it right away, just take it off.

2. Strip it down to just iron sights.

3. Go to Appleseed rifle courses, till you make rifleman.

4. By then, you will know what works, and what doesnt, and you can decide what to put back on your gun.

Top Bottom