• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the best round for concealled Carry

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    This is my primary carry weapon because it is small and seems to be reliable so far. I got if for $275 from a guy at church who had never fired it so it was brand new essentially. It came with about 100 rounds. It also came with 2 holsters that you see in the pic and a another pouch from Ruger that is not pictured. My question to all the other LCP owners is this: Did you get a leather holster with a ruger impression on the bottom? I have not seen these anywhere and I am simply curious where it came from. I do want to upgrade this gun to a Sig 380 that is about the same size. I generally like this weapon and have quite a bit of confidence in it in a close range situation.

1103100254.jpg

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sorry, but I can't add my contribution to the poll. I honestly don't believe there is a "best" round for concealed carry. I think the gun's dimensions, characteristics, and your lifestyle too strongly dictates what type of gun/round you will have on you at any point in time.

I personally own and carry my LCP everyday, although it isn't always the ONLY weapon I have on me. When I am at work, I carry only the LCP. This is a compromise that I feel is necessary as it allows me to carry without any potential of being seen by either my employees or my clients. The .380 is better than nothing, and just *might* be adequate in allowing me to escape a threat. I'm not so sure about it *stopping* a threat though, unless I'm just that lucky with shot placement or I am so close I can literally hold the gun to the attacker and get all 7 shots in him.

With that said, I much prefer to have at least my 9mm on me. Not just because it's slightly more powerful... but because it also has more capacity, better sights, better trigger, and a better grip. All those attributes combined make my 9mm a better defensive weapon. (But like I said earlier, my lifestyle doesn't allow me to carry this weapon 24/7)

So, carry what you can. Whether that is a .380, .45, or a 7.62x39. ;)

Side note, I have the De Santis pocket holster for the LCP. I'm quit satisfied with it. No idea where the leather one you have might have came from.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I voted 9mm because if i had to have only one caliber of gun and only one size of gun it would be a 9mm. They come big, small, and in between. I curently carry a g26. not the smallist but it works for me. I also happen to believe that the 9mm has the best over all performace when it come to a pistol caliber. It really doesnt lack stopping power. yes its less then a 45 but its also much easier to shoot in any same sized frame and i dont think ive ever saw it not carry more rds the an equal sized or model in 45. Its cheaper to shoot as well as less fearful to shoot. this tends to lead to more practice. more practice tends to lead to better shoot placement and better shot placement tends to lead to a quickier stop.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    I also have that same gun as well and carry it with me all the time. Now that it is cold enough to wear a jacket I am looking to get something bigger and more accurate than my Sigma...looking to get a glock....most likely 9mm or .40 cal..... I do like the LCP and am a better shot with it than my sigma honestly... I have put less rounds through it also.....it is all in what you prefer to have and what you feel comfortable using to defend yourself..

if you want to sell any of your holsters let me know...

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I went to the local gun shop recently to look at a kel-tec PF9. It is close to the same size and price (slightly larger, and about $30 more)as the LCP, but chambered in 9mm. The sales guy was really pushing the LCP at me and I asked him "Why would I get a .380 when I can get nearly the same gun in 9mm?"

He says "Well the LCP is basically a 'nut gun'. If you shoot the guy in the nuts he will go down immediately." I'm thinking what am I going to do? Ask the attacker to hold still for a second so i can take careful aim?

Some people don't offer much of a target anyways.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Your leather holster came from Ruger's online store. Unless Ruger had a special package available at one time, it did not come with the gun... actually neither of the ones you show in your pic did. You got a pretty sweet deal with those included, IMHO. Also, while the Sig is a sweet gun it's not necessarily an "upgrade." The LCP is a great gun for it's intended purpose.

LCP-Black-Galco-Holster-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You can't answer this poll, because there isn't one answer. The caliber that is best for carry is the caliber that you WILL CARRY. If the .45 is too big to carry, then it isn't best.

Everyone will take a .380 over nothing. But is a 9mm better, yes. Do I carry a P3AT most of the time, yes.

He says "Well the LCP is basically a 'nut gun'. If you shoot the guy in the nuts he will go down immediately." I'm thinking what am I going to do? Ask the attacker to hold still for a second so i can take careful aim?

Some people don't offer much of a target anyways.

I believe a BB gun qualifies as a "nut gun" in that regard. :rolleyes:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I was watching that cop show, 48 Hours, real life detective stuff of murder cases. One victim got shot twice in a parked car by his passenger, with a .380. The victim was able to run about 25 feet before he collapsed, it's all on video from the shopping mall.

I carry the LCP in the summer or when I need deep concealment but I keep in mind it's probably not going to drop a guy in his tracks.

If you want something lighter as a holster then the leather, the Desanis pocket holster is really nice IMO.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I was watching that cop show, 48 Hours, real life detective stuff of murder cases. One victim got shot twice in a parked car by his passenger, with a .380. The victim was able to run about 25 feet before he collapsed, it's all on video from the shopping mall.

That scenario can happen with ANY caliber. There is no BEST caliber to carry. Just choose one you will carry.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Sorry, but I can't add my contribution to the poll. I honestly don't believe there is a "best" round for concealed carry. I think the gun's dimensions, characteristics, and your lifestyle too strongly dictates what type of gun/round you will have on you at any point in time.

I personally own and carry my LCP everyday, although it isn't always the ONLY weapon I have on me. When I am at work, I carry only the LCP. This is a compromise that I feel is necessary as it allows me to carry without any potential of being seen by either my employees or my clients. The .380 is better than nothing, and just *might* be adequate in allowing me to escape a threat. I'm not so sure about it *stopping* a threat though, unless I'm just that lucky with shot placement or I am so close I can literally hold the gun to the attacker and get all 7 shots in him.

With that said, I much prefer to have at least my 9mm on me. Not just because it's slightly more powerful... but because it also has more capacity, better sights, better trigger, and a better grip. All those attributes combined make my 9mm a better defensive weapon. (But like I said earlier, my lifestyle doesn't allow me to carry this weapon 24/7)

So, carry what you can. Whether that is a .380, .45, or a 7.62x39. ;)

Side note, I have the De Santis pocket holster for the LCP. I'm quit satisfied with it. No idea where the leather one you have might have came from.

I agree completly no one calibar is the "best". That being said I think that a gun needs to be suited to the situation and the person that will be using it. You would not bring a .380 to a 20yd+ shootout agianst AR's would you? At the same time we can't carry a MP5 with us at all times... Although I wish I could... Maybe a tactical FN shotgun instead, got myself salivating agian...

Carry what you can, Period.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Like others have said the best may be different for each person or situation. I prefer to carry a 1911 in 45ACP. If I can't carry the 45 I carry a S&W 642 loaded with 38+P. Sometimes I carry both but almost always have the 38 with a 45 nearby.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Very complete answer ....thanks....I just clicked on the poll option when I did the posting so I just made up the poll on the fly..I agree with you on different round sizes though

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    Agree. I have carried an LCP as a BUG behind a sweet Model 94 Beretta in 9MM. I've recently started CC a Kimber Ultra 3 inch slim line in a Super Tuck and I'm VERY happy with it. It's in God's caliber (.45) so I don't carry the BUG anymore.

Pick one that feels good, you can shoot well with, conceals well, is comfortable and most importantly, you are confident with. Also, match it to a good holster. I know guys who buy an expensive gun and wont spend $80 on a decent holster.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I do like the look of Sig a little better....thanks for the info....If I got the Sig I would probably not sell this one...The Sig reminds me of a Colt 1911 a bit....It reminds of a toy gun that I played with when I was a kid ...It was about the same size as the Sig 380 but it was supposed to be a mini 1911...I think that it why I subconsciously favor that one LOL....maybe I should see a shrink and not a gun broker

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I didnt Vote
    Because you have no OTHER choice ..
    I would have voted other ..

The reason being the best round for concealed carry is whatever you can hit things with ,...:ingo:

_OZ_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    In Search of the Holy Grail
    Its a toss up. Ever see the shoot outs on the TV cop shows(the real ones taped from the police car) and an officer will have driver out and all of a sudden, guns are pulled and all you hear is gun shots! Clips are emptied, people are running, getting in cars, leaving... find out that 60 rounds have been used, but not one hit...
    Easy at the range, but very hard in real life....

Top Bottom