• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jh1978

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    Day 2 of Fighting Rifle class and 2nd to last drill of the day i got a KA-BOOM instead of a pew. I was running Federal American Eagle AR556 XM193 all day. Probably just past the 1000 rd point. This was my custom built rifle that has seen at least 2-3k rounds over the last 2 years. Many different types of 223 and 556 ammo.

Lower: Spikes Tactical, Rock River Arms lower parts kit
    Upper: VLTOR MUR-1
    BCG: Fail Zero NiB
    Barrel: Black Rain Ordinance .223 Wylde 1:8
    Muzzle Device: Black Rain Ordinance
    Stock: Magpul UBR
    Trigger: RRA 2 stage, KNS anti-rotation pins
    Grip: Magpul MIAD
    Optic: EOtech XPS2
    Rail: Midwest Industries G2SS 12" w/ Magpul fore grip
    BUIS: Magpul MBUS Gen2
    Magazine: Magpul Windowed Gen 2 PMAG
    Lube: Fireclean

I had zero issues/stoppages throughout the class. I can't see a cartridge in the chamber (via mirror/light down the muzzle). The bolt is locked up so its beyond my capacity to tear it down. Federal wants me to send them a sample of the remaining ammo lot for testing. They also requested the rifle be sent to them as well. Anyone have experience in this area? I'm not sure i'm comfortable just sending them my rifle and some ammo. Should I involve some 3rd party like a gunsmith or an attorney?

Only injury i have is my left hand is still tingling a bit and i have a good bruise in my leg that has the shape of the broken BCG, but no major blood or extra holes in me or my gear. I was holding the magwel in a kneeling position and wearing some old Thor MX riding gloves with a full leather palm.

DSC_0049_1.jpgDSC_0050_1.jpgDSC_0053_1.jpgDSC_0054_1.jpgDSC_0057_1.jpgDSC_0058_1.jpgDSC_0061_1.jpgDSC_0063_1.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is Federal offering to pay for shipping? If so, I'd probably send it to them. I'd want to figure out if there was a live round in the chamber before doing so, though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Was it a slam-fire?
    Almost looks like it fired slightly out of battery.

Glad you weren't seriously injured. Be sure to update us when you can...

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    wow! that's a hell of kaboom! shreaded the bolt/carrier, blew out the sides and top of the upper receiver, and screwed up the eotech!! glad you're ok, and I'm interested to see what you find out.

I personally wouldn't have a huge issue sending the rifle to federal, but I would take it to a competent/certified gunsmith first if it were me. Once you send it to them you have NO way to dispute their claims since you didn't get to see it pulled apart.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have had a bolt split in two in an AR but the result wasn't catastrophic. I am wondering if you had a carrier failure which the broke part is obviously the piece that came out the ejection port. I'm just trying to figure how it would have still gotten the bolt back into battery with it so badly locked up.

Please keep us posted as your investigation continues.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    In this pic, it LOOKS like the bolt is ll the way forward.....
    attachment.php

I have never seen anything like that !!!!!

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Wow!
    When I was in the Army, I had an extremely hot M16. A round chambered half way and then cooked off. It was a fresh, 30 round mag. It lodged the head of the case in the upper receiver, between the upper and the charging handle. The blast blew the floor plate out of the magazine and the 29 other rounds, follower and spring. The forward part of the shell case was lodged in the ground by my knee. (Shooting from a kneeling position, behind cover) the bullet itself made it down the barrel, somehow. The bcg was locked up about halfway back.
    It was NOT nearly as catastrophic as this gentleman's mishap. Definitely want to see the outcome of this.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Wow! Glad you are ok!
    Im new to the ar so I'm no help. I am amazed. Quality parts, factory ammo, and still a kb.
    I second letting a smith document and photo anything he can before letting anyone else touch it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Day-um.:n00b:

That is a world class KB.

I don't see how that's comin apart without a cut-off wheel. The prospect of a live round in the chamber would also make me nervous.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Eye pro? Who needs eye pro? John Wayne never needed eye pro!

Glad you're ok. I'd like to see how this turns out.

Top Bottom