My Personal Favorite Flavor of Ice Cream is...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Surprisingly, these new ice cream machines are really quite efficient. About 20 minute cook time on the ice cream slurry itself, and then toss it in the maker for 30minutes to an hour, and forget about it. You can tell by the sound of the motor if it's getting close.

The toughest part about making it is finding somewhere that sells pasteurized creme (non-UHP). Out of all the places, Meijer is the place to find it.

From top to bottom, the ice creams are:

Maple ice cream with salty, buttered pecans (but it can be any nut)
    Tahitian vanilla bean
    Salted Caramel - not yam, but it's REALLY darned tasty.

I've got a batch of strawberries here that I'm going to roast in the oven, puree, and turn into ice cream in the next day or two.

Last summer, I picked a bunch of apple mint from my garden and made my own mint ice cream. It was pretty darned tasty. I might try it with chocolate or regular mint this next season.
    If you're looking for real cream try Whole Foods. They carry at least one brand that has only one ingredient. Cream. I use it for most recipes and it makes a big difference. Doesn't come in huge containers, but it isn't prohibitively expensive, either. And, if your recipe calls for milk, you might splurge and get some Traders Point milk. Pricey but it will make a difference.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    If you're looking for real cream try Whole Foods. They carry at least one brand that has only one ingredient. Cream. I use it for most recipes and it makes a big difference. Doesn't come in huge containers, but it isn't prohibitively expensive, either. And, if your recipe calls for milk, you might splurge and get some Traders Point milk. Pricey but it will make a difference.

I was aware of Whole Foods, but unfortunately there isn't one anywhere near my. The closest is Clay Terrace, I believe, hence why I've been using the Meijer stuff, which actually seems to be pretty good.

Traders Point, on the other hand, is right near me! I use their whole milk for making cheese and other stuff :D I really wish they would start selling cream, but they never will give me a reason why.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I was aware of Whole Foods, but unfortunately there isn't one anywhere near my. The closest is Clay Terrace, I believe, hence why I've been using the Meijer stuff, which actually seems to be pretty good.

Traders Point, on the other hand, is right near me! I use their whole milk for making cheese and other stuff :D I really wish they would start selling cream, but they never will give me a reason why.
    I can actually tell you why they don't sell cream. They don't separate it from their milk. Their milks are full cream and, if you leave it sitting for a while, the cream will separate out. That's just a step they don't want to take and I can see why, really. I wish they'd sell cream, too. I'd be a customer for that one, for sure! But as long as they're leaving it in their milk, I'm OK with that, too.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom