• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why should the OP have to undertake the strenuous effort to move his family and himself just because there are miscreants and criminals around?

Safety is the name of the game, but I think OP has every right to stay where he's at if he thinks it's safe to do so. I think the criminals should move. Preferably into a nice lot about 72" below the surface of the Earth or behind those big old-style stone masonry buildings with the huge wrought-iron internal fences.

no one says he doesn't have the right, but if you can leave an area for one that's more safe, why not do it? The world should be full of chocolate rain and gumdrops too :(

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Unfamiliar with the area. Again, I said very clearly, if OP thinks it's safer to do so that leaving is of course an option. I was merely lamenting that it's come to that point, that a law-abiding citizen, a family man who lives his life in peace, has to fear for his life and the lives of his family simply because thugs around him would see it fall into entropy. That he should have to pack up his belongings and flee to safety else risk harm to his loved ones. This doesn't solve the underlying problem. What if his new neighborhood also falls into entropy? We cannot forever migrate the Earth in search of "safe" neighborhoods. What is the TRUE solution here? I don't know, but suggesting that misuse of violence can be countered by simply not being present at the location of its exercise is mind-bogglingly insufficient a suggestion. The wielders of misused violence are whom need to be punished, their actions are what need rectification.
    Again, I personally have very few non-radical ideas as to how to go about that, which makes moving certainly the easier suggestion. But it's not a true solution since anyone in his new neighborhood could well do the same thing once he's arrived and settled in there.

What is his is his. What is yours is yours. What is mine is mine.
    And every single one of us should have the legal recognition to do defend what is ours, under the law.

The legal right to post heads on pikes in your front yard would do more than moving to supposedly 'safer' ground. It'd also go a longer ways towards instilling fear and hesitancy in the minds of the enemy, in the minds of those who would misuse violence. A great way to counter the underlying, actual problem is some serious PSYOPS, despite how much the law currently frowns upon it. But again, I never suggested that OP shouldn't move if he feels it safer to do so. Merely that it is a DAMNABLE shame, hanging over all our heads, that it has come to that point. That in a free Republic a man must do so.

Get off my lawn.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Time to start packing. If you can't afford it now, start saving. Sell or rent out the house. You can't put a price on your safety and the safety of your family.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So you call for police because someone fired a dozen rounds, and the police are smart enough to not show up for 20 minutes, knowing that facing a criminal with a firearm is dangerous.

And they wonder why we the people want to be so heavily armed? And why people take the law into their own hands? Or ignore crime because some police also ignore crime when it is too dangerous to track down the perps?

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Time to start packing. If you can't afford it now, start saving. Sell or rent out the house. You can't put a price on your safety and the safety of your family.

I'm like Clint Eastwood's character, "Walt" in the movie Gran Torino. I've lived here 25 years, raised my kids here, made many improvements on the house, garage and property and I'm not about to let some punks and gang bangers scare me out of here. All the druggies and troublemakers will eventually leave on their own. My wife and I discussed moving and we both decided to stay put. A lot of the neighbors feel the same way. Safety is a concern, but being intimidated into fleeing isn't an option.

We'll continue to report drug traffic and illegal activity. We'll let the troublemakers know we're watching. Law enforcement is only effective when concerned citizens do their part. The neighborhood association will be working with the PD to improve response times when issues are reported. Until then "Be Aware and Be Prepared".

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I'm like Clint Eastwood's character, "Walt" in the movie Gran Torino. I've lived here 25 years, raised my kids here, made many improvements on the house, garage and property and I'm not about to let some punks and gang bangers scare me out of here. All the druggies and troublemakers will eventually leave on their own. My wife and I discussed moving and we both decided to stay put. A lot of the neighbors feel the same way. Safety is a concern, but being intimidated into fleeing isn't an option.

We'll continue to report drug traffic and illegal activity. We'll let the troublemakers know we're watching. Law enforcement is only effective when concerned citizens do their part. The neighborhood association will be working with the PD to improve response times when issues are reported. Until then "Be Aware and Be Prepared".

Well said.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Yep, can't be scared when you're dead.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yep, can't be scared when you're dead.

There are some things worse than death and living your life in fear and running away from thugs, gang bangers and bullies is one, in my opinion.

Dan Daly, USMC, was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. In WWI he led 18 Marines directly into enemy machine gun positions and trenches. Before the charge he stood up and yelled at his men "For Christ's sake men—come on! Do you want to live forever?".

I was at Khe Sanh Combat Base in 1967-1968 during the 77 day Siege where we were shelled and attacked daily. I remember a sign that was posted on a piece of carsboard that said "For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There are some things worse than death and living your life in fear and running away from thugs, gang bangers and bullies is one, in my opinion.

Dan Daly, USMC, was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. In WWI he led 18 Marines directly into enemy machine gun positions and trenches. Before the charge he stood up and yelled at his men "For Christ's sake men—come on! Do you want to live forever?".

I was at Khe Sanh Combat Base in 1967-1968 during the 77 day Siege where we were shelled and attacked daily. I remember a sign that was posted on a piece of carsboard that said "For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Perhaps I should have used the purple after all.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    This morning an Indiana State Trooper was forced to kill a suspect in the middle of Main Street, 3 blocks from my house.
    One person critical after police action shooting

Last Saturday morning at 3:55am a car went speeding down the alley in reverse, just missing my garage, and then slid to a halt and one of the occupants pumped 12 rounds of 9mm out the window. I called 911 and it took FWPD 20 minutes to get a car on the scene. (5 blocks from downtown) While they were taking photos of the empty casings, 5 more shots were fired about 5 blocks down the street. The officer just kept taking photos and then drove away.

Last summer someone pumped 8 rounds of 9mm into the radiator of a car parked just 2 houses down the street.

Today, I started to open carry in my neighborhood. If I am driving or going away from home I still wear a long shirt covering my HK45C. My wife wondered why I keep a pistol grip 12 ga mounted over the bedroom door, sleep with an M9 with lasergrips on the nightstand and keep a loaded AK47 close by. Now she understands that we have to be proactive and can't afford to wait 20 minutes for the police to arrive.

A couple neighbors gave me the thumbs up when they saw the .45 while I was walking the dog. One neighbor said she was coming over the next time the rounds started flying.

I have a shoulder rig for my S&W 500 Magnum, but I think I'll stick with the .45 for now. If this continues I may start slinging the FS2000 and carrying the 500 on my dog walking trips.

How about an INGO OC bbq/party? I'm in.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    This morning an Indiana State Trooper was forced to kill a suspect in the middle of Main Street, 3 blocks from my house.
    One person critical after police action shooting

Last Saturday morning at 3:55am a car went speeding down the alley in reverse, just missing my garage, and then slid to a halt and one of the occupants pumped 12 rounds of 9mm out the window. I called 911 and it took FWPD 20 minutes to get a car on the scene. (5 blocks from downtown) While they were taking photos of the empty casings, 5 more shots were fired about 5 blocks down the street. The officer just kept taking photos and then drove away.

Last summer someone pumped 8 rounds of 9mm into the radiator of a car parked just 2 houses down the street.

Today, I started to open carry in my neighborhood. If I am driving or going away from home I still wear a long shirt covering my HK45C. My wife wondered why I keep a pistol grip 12 ga mounted over the bedroom door, sleep with an M9 with lasergrips on the nightstand and keep a loaded AK47 close by. Now she understands that we have to be proactive and can't afford to wait 20 minutes for the police to arrive.

A couple neighbors gave me the thumbs up when they saw the .45 while I was walking the dog. One neighbor said she was coming over the next time the rounds started flying.

I have a shoulder rig for my S&W 500 Magnum, but I think I'll stick with the .45 for now. If this continues I may start slinging the FS2000 and carrying the 500 on my dog walking trips.
    I would advise you to advise your neighbor to call you prior to comming over so you dont mistake someone beating on the door for someone trying to break in.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry to hear about the trouble in your area. I know where you are talking about and I agree, not a bad area, just a few bad people ruining it for the good folks. Besides, bad things can and do happen anywhere. Stay safe and best of luck.

Top Bottom