• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Good piece Guy. I think there are some gun owners here and elsewhere that were/still might be unsure about what actually happened and if this EA would put them in jeopardy just for conducting ANY kind of private sales. I think you've done a good job of explaining exactly what happened. Hopefully those that are feeling a little skiddish about private sales will take a minute and read your Op-ed.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Thanks, guys. Due to length limitations, the following paragraph wasn't included in the Star article, which I think is extremely important:

What many of us expect, however, is that BATFE will step up its enforcement efforts and more part-time or occasional sellers of firearms will be prosecuted for failing to have a FFL (and perform background checks) if they meet the existing statutory definition of being "engaged in the business" of selling firearms. In this regard, the "guidance document" issued by BATFE references prior court decisions that have held that persons were engaged in the business of selling firearms "when as few as two firearms were sold or when only one or two transactions took place, when other factors were present." Those other factors include using business cards, advertising, and representing themselves to be dealers. All of this "guidance" is based on existing federal law, but that law will likely now be enforced with much more frequency - and with the assistance of 200 additional BATFE agents in 2017.

The full article is on my WIBC blog at Exposing the Gun Show Myth | 93.1 WIBC

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A question for your friendly neighborhood ATF agent. My answer - yes. But that's just one "factor."
    I think the point you brought out about it being just one "factor" is important.

I also think that it would be well worth someone's time to take a look at the BATFE "guidance document" mentioned in your previous post and get a better understanding about "advertising" related to the context of other "factors" as a whole before freaking out about simply posting an ad in the classifieds from a personal collection.

Here's the link to the PDF. guidance document.

https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I think the point you brought out about it being just one "factor" is important.

I also think that it would be well worth someone's time to take a look at the BATFE "guidance document" mentioned in your previous post and get a better understanding about "advertising" related to the context of other "factors" as a whole before freaking out about simply posting an ad in the classifieds from a personal collection.

JMHO, but I think SOME of the people, in the classy, better be careful ..... YMMV ..... IANAL .....

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

I think you are EXACTLY right. Great post!

Guy

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    JMHO, but I think SOME of the people, in the classy, better be careful ..... YMMV ..... IANAL .....
    I hear ya. They might be well advised to study up on the matter. I was trying to put things in perspective for the average joe like me who posts an item occasionally in the classifieds. I've seen a few people getting a bit uptight about even conducting a casual deal anymore over this.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I expect ATF to arrest some people at gun shows after alerting the media, then squeeze them to plea. They won't get many, just enough scalps for obie to wave in front of the cameras and beat his chest before making his tee time.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Here's something that will shock some people (and I may get physically ill): for the first time in my life (or his), I agree with the SOB/POS. If you are consistently buying and selling guns to make a profit, you should damn well get your FFL and require 4473s and NICS checks from all your purchasers.

We are the f*cking good guys in this debate - let's don't lose it because we look like we're trying to sell guns to prohibited purchasers.

Guy

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Here's something that will shock some people (and I may get physically ill): for the first time in my life (or his), I agree with the SOB/POS. If you are consistently buying and selling guns to make a profit, you should damn well get your FFL and require 4473s and NICS checks from all your purchasers. We are the f*cking good guys in this debate - let's don't lose it because we look like we're trying to sell guns to prohibited purchasers. Guy
    What he said !!!

Top Bottom