23rjwpt.jpg

296kp4p.jpg

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    That looks really nice, a regular dear slayer if all goes well and the deer show up.

Yeah, I can only hope it's a regular deer slayer. Let's just say if a deer wonders within 100 yds of me then it's a goner.

And yeah, right on Uconas. Ruger 77/44 in 44 magnum. The scope is a Nikon Prostaff 2x7x32

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    great gun,

I've done some reviews on this gun and the net and youtube has a couple reviews

I've been shooting leverevolution ammo in mine and it shoots good, but so far it shoots fairly well with the 2 or 3 factory ammo's I've tried

My magazine is a little sticky and but I haven't had time to contact ruger about it

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    Yeah, I have heard that a lot of people have had some trouble with the magazine. Also, the trigger pull on it is pretty ridiculous, even though it's a very crisp pull. What kind of groups have you been getting with the leverevolution ammo?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Yeah, I have heard that a lot of people have had some trouble with the magazine. Also, the trigger pull on it is pretty ridiculous, even though it's a very crisp pull. What kind of groups have you been getting with the leverevolution ammo?

the trigger on my is just over 6 lbs on my 77/44 (measured with caldwell gauge).

I'm getting 1.5 -1.75 groups at 100yds, I've had a terrible time with my scope this year,
    The first scope I put on the gun was a simmons 1.5-4 pro diamond, my groups were horizontal stringing terrible, LSS (long story short) the prodiamond scope had terrible terrible parallax, a slight movement of my head would put the crosshairs all the way from one side of the target to the other. I then changed to a trusted old K4 weaver and everything grouped great, but FOV was not acceptable then I threw on a Holosight and I found the dot was way way too big and I was getting inconsistant groups.

Then I took my trusted burris speed dot 135 off my bullseye gun in 38 and mounted that, and I just now got that sighted in, I'm going to shoot some more this weekend, (nothing like waiting to the last minute) but with the speed dot I'm back to 2 inch groups,

I really want a scope with some magnification and I want a scope with no magnification at the same time, This winter I'll save my money and buy the burris 1-5 (or whatever) scope,

One of the things that bit me was the ruger ring setup, Of course it worked perfect for the standard scopes I had. I still have the weaver K4 in the rings and I bet I could put that on and be sighted in

But I bought a scope rail that addapts to the 77/22/77/44, Well the first one i bought was adverstised and after contact with the guy said it would fit the 44 WELL it didn't

So I ordered a burris 77/44 adapter , Well that a*$*%&**$ thing had these humps on it and my 30mm scope rings that come with the red dot and the funky mount that comes with the Holo sight wouldn't fit on them.

So then I found a wiegland mount that puts a rail on top of the 77/44 and that finally worked but of course weeks are being eat up during this order fail order fail order work process

I am ready now but the wigland mount puts the scope a bit high,

I'm about to ditch the whole thing and find a 458 socom upper or some other good deer caliber

Its too late this year to change I'll hunt with the 77/44 the way it is and the scope problem I have isn't really the gun's or Rugers fault, they did us a great service with their scope system. but I just have had $$$$ restrictions that kept me from just buying the burris or millet scope I want and going

I will post deer pictures when and if I get them

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I'm getting 1.5 -1.75 groups at 100yds

That's very good, I would be pleased with it. 2nd review I've read and the other was shooting up about the same - very encouraging.

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    I hope it shoots better than the 44 mag marlin 1894 i bought last year. It shot awfully. I mean it shot good enough to kill two deer last year, but I couldn't stand the way it sprayed on paper. I traded it in on a 480 puma. I don't know how this one shoots yet but hopefully better.

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    Drooool. Been wanting one of these for a while - they quit making them for a bit, didn't they? Saw they were back out and would like to pick one up, but really need to pick up an AR-15 first.

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    Hah, yeah with a name like Josey Wales I should be using a lever rifle. I took it to Atterbury last Saturday and after zeroeing the scope I was able to get really tight groups at 50 yards. (Plus I don't consider myself an exceptional shot). Unfortunately, I should have checked how tight the scope ring was on because in my last group the scope jumped because the gun smith at Dicks didn't mount it correctly... looks like I'll have to head back down this Friday and rezero it. The rifle shoots like a charm and someone at the range who I let shoot it was pleasently surprised by the recoil, or better put, lack there off. This Friday I'll zero it in at 50 yards then try some shots at 100yds.

good luck to anyone hunting opening weekend for deer.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Pretty nice gun. It seems the early models had very poor accuracy, but the newly introduced ones seem to be getting good reviews.

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    Pretty nice gun. It seems the early models had very poor accuracy, but the newly introduced ones seem to be getting good reviews.

yeah, i think that has to do with the different barrel that the new ones have, and i believe that is the only improvement that they made on the new ones.

Top Bottom