• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    11 is not "normal." My 96 F350 powerstroke, with an AUTO, would get 16-18mpg.

Sounds like you guys have a bad fuel system, poor injectors, or boost leaks.

Checked mine at fill up today 12.3

Was your 96 4 wheel drive?

Was there not an HP difference from 96 to 2001?

I have know lots of ford owners that have the same mileage 11 to 14tops chipped out .

BTW If he is going by the Electronic readout on the headliner console it is never right when I check actual mileage to gallons at fill up.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    1996 powerstroke rated at 215 HP with 425ftlb torque

2002 powerstroke rated at 275 HP with 525ftlb torque

So there would have to be a difference in fuel milage .

60 more HP isn't gonna be free.

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Congrats - Nice Truck, you'll love it. I have a 2007 Chevy Crew Cab with Dmax and Allison. Get about 17 mpg in town, and up to 23 on interstate road trips.
    use Shell Rotella UNLESS you can find Amsoil.
    Millenium Line-X has Roll-N-Locks and Jack rabbit bed covers. They have shops on the West Side on 10th and Girls School, and also on the South side of Indy.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Checked mine at fill up today 12.3

Was your 96 4 wheel drive?

Was there not an HP difference from 96 to 2001?

I have know lots of ford owners that have the same mileage 11 to 14tops chipped out .

BTW If he is going by the Electronic readout on the headliner console it is never right when I check actual mileage to gallons at fill up.

Not sure if I trust the electronic mPG gauge. My 96 was a 4 door dually, 2wd auto.

It had a 4" turbo back, warm up valve (some people call it the wastegate but it's NOT the wastegate flapper) removed, K&N intake.

Sure it is. Huge improvements on injection timing, turbo design, etc etc.

Will add that Valvoline Premium Blue is also excellent oil, as is Shell Rotella.

Correct. The Premium Blue is wonderful oil.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Get about 17 mpg in town, and up to 23 on interstate road trips.

First fill-up already! Hand-calced at 16.1 MPG, mixed driving (around town and short highway bursts). DIC read a little low (15-something). This thing may get the same highway mileage as my 4-banger Jeep!

Millenium Line-X has Roll-N-Locks and Jack rabbit bed covers. They have shops on the West Side on 10th and Girls School, and also on the South side of Indy.

Checking $$$ there today. Any other sprayliner and truck accessory places on the west side?

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I put my charger up for sale so I could get a diesel truck. They are freakin awsome. Love the new Duramax. Untill I get my diesel trck, I consider anyone who has one a RACIST!!!!!

Last edited:

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN

Not neccesarily!

My truck for example,

2000 Dodge 4x4 factory rated 235hp and I get 18-21mpg, with upgrades and Edge all the way up approx 435hp and 16-19mpg. Not really a large difference with the hp increase. But yet it is a Ford, the V-8 diesels tend to waste a lot of fuel compared to an I-6.

As far as anything with electronic injectors, I STRONGLY reccomend NOT running used lube oil for fuel! And even be wary on the Veggie oil conversions because it can cause failures in the fuel system components, especially if it is being heated.

And a warning to a previous comment on letting it idle for long periods of time, yes a diesel can idle for long periods and not overheat or use vast amounts of fuel but it will cause fuel dilution of the lube oil and lead to premature bearing failure.

Top Bottom