• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    hey y'all, i have recently purchased a mossberg 500 off an old friend. it has a rifled slug barrel and a field barrel that came with it... tryin to decide whether or not to turn it to a tactical gun because i already use a mossberg 500 for hunting... lets say i go tactical/hd... a shorter barrel? accessories? what do ya think?

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Unless you're just into owning toys for the sake of ownership, it makes no sense to have a tactical shotgun unless you know the tactics to go with it. Do you know how to select loads to respond to changing fighting conditions? Do you know how to move about? The mechanics to enable efficient searching? How to enter a doorway? How to transition to pistol when your shotgun fails? Take the money you'd spend on the add-ons and put it towards a defensive shotgun class. Both Gunsite and Yavapai conduct classes in Indiana. That's between $600 to $1,000.

As for a shotgun setup, I'd want an 18" unrifled barrel, ghost ring sights, magazine extension, side saddles on both the receiver & the stock, forend-mounted flashlight, and single-point team sling. Maybe red dot if you've got several hundred dollars to spend. I'd also look into stock additions/replacements for reducing recoil, because it hurts after shooting several hundred rounds. That will cost you about the same amount, if not more than the classes, depending on how fancy you get with the red dot & flashlight, if you choose to get them.

Anyway, I don't know a lot. I just know that it makes more economic sense to stick with one weapon for defense than learning and outfitting oneself for two or three... I don't know why I do this to my bank account.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I like a tactical 500. I have a JIC that I upgraded the stock pistol grip(gave the old away to a friend) Replace the forgrip with a pistol style. I have a door breacher barrel made up. I added a tri-rail and a flash light, laser and a reflex sight. I enjoy shooting it. I have even shot clays with it. Boy do they look at you strange! But It is fun. I keep it on my night stand. I think a tactic shotgun is useful. But the right ammo, training and practice are needed.

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    i appreciate the input from both of you. im tryin to find training around my area. i do have more training than the everyday shooter, thankfully. im also tryin to decide what im gonna do... wanna get a degree and work in the gun field..

Top Bottom