• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I picked up a new shooter yesterday, and got a chance to put her to the test today. Behold! My Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum!

I chose the 3" barrel version to keep as much of the .357 Magnum velocity as possible... The increased accuracy due to the longer sight radius is a nice bonus. I added the Hogue grips to help manage the recoil and I have to say that they performed well.

rugersp101.jpg

This is my best target for the day at 15-yards, Not quite as good as one of my 1911's, but it will certainly do.

1sttarget.jpg

I think I'll keep her.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I must say that my second trip to the range was even better than the first. I just installed the Wolff reduced power hammer (10 lb.) and trigger return (8 lb.) springs, and this little shooter has become quite the.. err.. shooter. :)

This 5-shot target was done with the same 15-yard distance and a modified Weaver stance. I would say that things are starting to tighten up. I believe that I am hitting just a little low of POA due to the 125gr bullets, and things should be a little higher with my 158gr carry ammo.

2ndtarget.jpg

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

?? I installed the reduced power springs right after my first range trip. That is one of the reasons for the tighter grouping. But, thanks.

357Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Nice looking gun. My range gun is a 357 Blackhawk with 6" barrel. Pie plates at 100 yards! I love Ruger.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Congrats!!! The SP101 is a fantastic gun. My 3" was one of my favorite guns of all time. I will have another sooner rather than later.

As for shooting low, I found that Winchester 130 SXTs (now the PDX1) shot to point of aim for some reason. I do not know why, when other light bullets shot a little low, but I carried them for that reason.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    After helping my niece pick out her first gun, a Ruger SP101 bobbed hammer and crimson trace grips, I ended up buying one for myself. It is a standard hammer 3" barrel with crimson trace grips also. I liked hers so much I had to have one too. I have to say I do not regret it. Great shooting gun. I also put in the wolff springs. I am sure you will enjoy, I know I do.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    What a classic!

The SP101 is built like a tank and is heavy, but soaks up the .357 recoil very well and should be in every snubby fan's arsenal!

Vanguard.45

Top Bottom