• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I picked up a new shooter yesterday, and got a chance to put her to the test today. Behold! My Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum!

I chose the 3" barrel version to keep as much of the .357 Magnum velocity as possible... The increased accuracy due to the longer sight radius is a nice bonus. I added the Hogue grips to help manage the recoil and I have to say that they performed well.

rugersp101.jpg

This is my best target for the day at 15-yards, Not quite as good as one of my 1911's, but it will certainly do.

1sttarget.jpg

I think I'll keep her.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I must say that my second trip to the range was even better than the first. I just installed the Wolff reduced power hammer (10 lb.) and trigger return (8 lb.) springs, and this little shooter has become quite the.. err.. shooter. :)

This 5-shot target was done with the same 15-yard distance and a modified Weaver stance. I would say that things are starting to tighten up. I believe that I am hitting just a little low of POA due to the 125gr bullets, and things should be a little higher with my 158gr carry ammo.

2ndtarget.jpg

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

?? I installed the reduced power springs right after my first range trip. That is one of the reasons for the tighter grouping. But, thanks.

357Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Nice looking gun. My range gun is a 357 Blackhawk with 6" barrel. Pie plates at 100 yards! I love Ruger.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Congrats!!! The SP101 is a fantastic gun. My 3" was one of my favorite guns of all time. I will have another sooner rather than later.

As for shooting low, I found that Winchester 130 SXTs (now the PDX1) shot to point of aim for some reason. I do not know why, when other light bullets shot a little low, but I carried them for that reason.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    After helping my niece pick out her first gun, a Ruger SP101 bobbed hammer and crimson trace grips, I ended up buying one for myself. It is a standard hammer 3" barrel with crimson trace grips also. I liked hers so much I had to have one too. I have to say I do not regret it. Great shooting gun. I also put in the wolff springs. I am sure you will enjoy, I know I do.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    What a classic!

The SP101 is built like a tank and is heavy, but soaks up the .357 recoil very well and should be in every snubby fan's arsenal!

Vanguard.45

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom