• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I do wish they made some light .357s, perhaps just a bit over .38 +P because then you don't foul the extra chamber area with .38s.
    What you want are Speer Gold Dot 135gr Short Barrels. They make them in .357 and .38+P, but the .357 version is pretty mild... chronographed at 1050fps out of my 2" 640. They have a very aggressive hollowpoint that's designed to expand at lower velocities, and use a low flash powder so you don't get blinded by giant fireballs when shooting in the dark. It's great ammo...the trick is finding it in stock.

Also, whatever ammo you pick make sure it hits to point of aim for your gun. With the wide range of .38 loads out there and a fixed-sight gun, that can sometimes take some experimentation.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I have had lots of J frames come thru the shop for trigger work or repairs and I HATE when a model 60 3" come in as it makes me want one. It take a couple on months to get it out of my system.
    The 60 shoots a lot better than the airweights but is heavier and doesn't carry as nice but still my favorite J frame by far.
    Most 3" J frames have a adjustable rear sight also or at least the ones that I remember coming in have had them.

kjdoski

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    My two cents. I've been carrying snub revolvers on and off for 20+ years, usually as ankle backup guns or winter jacket pocket carry.

Having foolishly fired a cylinder's worth of 125gr .357s through a 340, I would never, ever, ever do that again, or suggest to anyone else try the same.

There have been dozens of studies showing that .38 Special ammunition doesn't expand worth a poop out of 2" barrels, so most of the guys I know who are no BS revolver experts (most of whom have used them in harm's way) carry and recommend 148gr LWCs to get adequate penetration, nice "sharp" cutting edges, great accuracy, and the least possible recoil.

I'm currently down to a single snubby, and it's loaded with 148gr Gold Medal Match. My speedloaders have 115gr Critical Defense in them, because they load into the cylinders much more smoothly than a full WC.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My two cents. I've been carrying snub revolvers on and off for 20+ years, usually as ankle backup guns or winter jacket pocket carry.

Having foolishly fired a cylinder's worth of 125gr .357s through a 340, I would never, ever, ever do that again, or suggest to anyone else try the same.

There have been dozens of studies showing that .38 Special ammunition doesn't expand worth a poop out of 2" barrels, so most of the guys I know who are no BS revolver experts (most of whom have used them in harm's way) carry and recommend 148gr LWCs to get adequate penetration, nice "sharp" cutting edges, great accuracy, and the least possible recoil.

I'm currently down to a single snubby, and it's loaded with 148gr Gold Medal Match. My speedloaders have 115gr Critical Defense in them, because they load into the cylinders much more smoothly than a full WC.
    My Magtech full wadcutters are 158 grain. I also have some DoubleTap 148 grain full wadcutters.

Top Bottom