My friend just bought a new Springfield 1911. A pleasure to shoot!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    My friend and I went to H&H in Fort Wayne and I helped him look through some pistols for his first, and I recommended a few to him including some Glocks and Springfield XD's, and S&W M&P's, but the Springfield 1911 in .45 ACP really caught his eye.

He has shot my 9mm in the past and complained after a few rounds that his ears were ringing (He refuses to use hearing protection). Well, needless to say he shot the 45 he just bought and said after the first or second shot his ears were ringing much worse. haha.

After shooting it I must say it is a very nice handgun, and although I don't like the 7 round mag cap, he claims that he should be able to take down an attacker with 7 rounds easily.

I was surprised to see that Springfield has included the kydex holster and double mag pounch with their 1911's now similar to the kit you get with the XD's.

Cost was nearly $1000 out the door, but he says he likes it. *Shrug*. If price wasn't a problem I would definitely pick up a 1911 style 45 after shooting his. I don't think I'd go for one that cost $1k but to each and their own. I've seen some 1911's new or slightly used in the $400-500 range.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I have no words... :dunno:

My friend and I went to H&H in Fort Wayne and I helped him look through some pistols for his first, and I recommended a few to him including some Glocks and Springfield XD's, and S&W M&P's, but the Springfield 1911 in .45 ACP really caught his eye.

He has shot my 9mm in the past and complained after a few rounds that his ears were ringing (He refuses to use hearing protection). Well, needless to say he shot the 45 he just bought and said after the first or second shot his ears were ringing much worse. haha.

After shooting it I must say it is a very nice handgun, and although I don't like the 7 round mag cap, he claims that he should be able to take down an attacker with 7 rounds easily.

I was surprised to see that Springfield has included the kydex holster and double mag pounch with their 1911's now similar to the kit you get with the XD's.

Cost was nearly $1000 out the door, but he says he likes it. *Shrug*. If price wasn't a problem I would definitely pick up a 1911 style 45 after shooting his. I don't think I'd go for one that cost $1k but to each and their own. I've seen some 1911's new or slightly used in the $400-500 range.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Seriously, Hi, Kyle. Your friend has set the bar a little high, getting a good quality 1911 for his first pistol. He'll probably end up one of those bitter old men on the forum who complain about every manufacturer's quality. ;)
    But that springfield should serve him well. Just do us a favor, and get him to use plugs, or muffs, or rolled up pieces of cotton or string or SOMETHING.
    Shooting w/o hearing protection is just dumb.
    Good luck!
    Andy

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    Seriously, Hi, Kyle. Your friend has set the bar a little high, getting a good quality 1911 for his first pistol. He'll probably end up one of those bitter old men on the forum who complain about every manufacturer's quality. ;)
    But that springfield should serve him well. Just do us a favor, and get him to use plugs, or muffs, or rolled up pieces of cotton or string or SOMETHING.
    Shooting w/o hearing protection is just dumb.
    Good luck!
    Andy

He works at a factory and said he will definitely be using ear plugs that he gets for free from there. He has horrible stance and he needs to learn a lot about using any pistol let alone the one he just bought. I might try to interest him in some classes, seriously. I can only try to teach him so much. I had to show him how to load the magazine, and use all the features of the handgun, so I was extremely nervous about him getting one but he picked up fairly quick on it.. I'm all for 2nd amendment rights but only if the person KNOWS how to use it and does so responsibly.....

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    As a younger man I seldom used hearing protection. Most of us did not back then.

I wished someone would have pounded that in my head back then, I can not understand near anything in a noisy or crowded environment. In the woods, I miss sounds that would alert me to some thing being there. My fading eyesight has to be my major sense when hunting.

Let him talk to a few others that had the same problem. Those free ones at work are not that good. He needs something better then that.

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    As a younger man I seldom used hearing protection. Most of us did not back then.

I wished someone would have pounded that in my head back then, I can not understand near anything in a noisy or crowded environment. In the woods, I miss sounds that would alert me to some thing being there. My fading eyesight has to be my major sense when hunting.

Let him talk to a few others that had the same problem. Those free ones at work are not that good. He needs something better then that.

Well i agree, but its much much better than nothing. I have worn the free plugs from my previous job and i've had the opportunity to test out some high dollar hearing protection and even some noise cancelling headphones and I will say that the cheapos arent the best but they sure work a LOT better than nothing.

It's not just the sound but the pressure that hurts ears. I was in DbDrag racing for several years and i've seen more hearing problems from sound PRESSURE than actual loud noise. Pressure is a huge killer of hearing. I've personally sat in a vehicle (1987 Chevette) with two 18 subwoofers and 40,000 watts of amplifier power that was achieving a 159.8 decibels of sound pressure (SPL) and it it was so much that i couldnt BREATHE afterwards. Very very dangerous. Currently I believe it is Pioneer who has a dbdrag vehicle capable of 182 decibels of sound pressure and that is insane. That's more than enough to kill someone if they were inside it during that.

I'm still young but I want to be able to hear when i am older for sure. I damaged my hearing enough when i was in high school with a stereo that I played daily at 144 decibels... wayy too much It was cool to see a stereo powerful enough to make a girls hair blow completely away from her head, but not so cool when you have to say "HUH?" "What?" all the time.... I literally would get to school after playing my stereo on the way to school and showing up in class with my nose and ears BLEEDING. Definitely not cool.

I suppose there is always someone at every age that is more or less mature, and not caring about future consequences of acts. Shooting without hearing protection is a great way to kill your ears. I think he's wised up after his first outing with the 1911.

Unfortunately, he called me up today to ask me "Hey, what kind of gun did i buy?"... I'm guessing he was away from home and was bragging to someone, and was unable to recall what he just dropped $1k on.... Horrible.

God forbid something happens with this guy that the split second he decides something could mean FOREVER.

I'm not saying I'm a genius, but I could probably rattle off his serial number and it's not even my pistol.

I keep telling him read the manual, practice, and be safe. The next time he asks me something that he should already know, I will recommend some good NRA training from some INGO members that I have spoke with previously.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian

There's your mistake. Should've come to 21st Century down in Bluffton. We have the Springfield Loaded SS model with fixed sights for $799.

ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    Cost was nearly $1000 out the door, but he says he likes it. *Shrug*. If price wasn't a problem I would definitely pick up a 1911 style 45 after shooting his. I don't think I'd go for one that cost $1k but to each and their own. I've seen some 1911's new or slightly used in the $400-500 range.[/quote]

I got my SA GI 1911 for $509 at the indy last January. 500 hundred rounds later and im still lovin it.

1/2 shot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    State of Confusion
    :yesway: IMHO I don't think he could have picked a better first gun than a Springfield 1911. :rockwoot:Very nice start. However about the hearing protection, I wouldn't listen to anybody when I was younger myself and today there are many tones I just can't hear anymore. I'm constantly saying "huh", when I'm trying to have a conversation with someone, and it's usually very aggravating to the other person that has to constantly repeat themselves.

Top Bottom