• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No. Especially not in Lafayette... been open carrying around there for many years without issue.

Sounds like you just happened upon an uninformed person with a blurting problem. :):

Your lack of reaction (and acting more "normal" than they are) really does go a long way toward establishing the normalcy of armed citizens, so hang in there if and when you choose to. :yesway:

You are correct, that is NOT normal, but not the worst either.

Several years ago I was working around the house and realized I had run out of cigarettes. Wow, that HAS been so time ago because I quit smoking 10 years ago!

Anyway, I left the house in a t-shirt and jeans. Walked a block and a half to the local V.P. on 14th and Union Sts. in Lafayette.

I walked in, asked for my smokes, and some lottery tickets, paid and left the building.

I walked across the parking lot and stepped out into Union St. to cross. All of a sudden I was surrounded by no less than 5 squad cars and at least 8 officers. All officers had their guns drawn and trained on ME!

I was confused! I hadn't done anything wrong or illegal.

Cops asked where I was coming from, headed to, and "why are you carrying a gun?"

It is then I realize I was open carrying. It didn't dawn on me to pull my t-shirt over my belt.

Police told me that they had received a call about a man with a gun erntering a V.P. I told them the clerk didn't act like it was a big deal. Police said it was NOT the V.P. clerk that called in the report.
    It was instead, some busy-body women standing outside of a medical services building next door to my house. They were outside smoking when a group of them watched me walk through the parking lot on my way to V.P.

After determining that I was legal to carry, the police handed me back my pistol, magazine (which they had emptied) and my ammunition. They told me I was "not allowed" to carry open. I told them they were mistaken, but did not want to push the issue.

When the officer handed me back my firearm and ammo, he asked me not to load it until they were gone!??!

They turned to leave, and so did I. I turned toward my house and started to walk, while reloading my magazine, and walking back through the medical services lot.

As soon as my foot hit the medical services parking lot, about 15 women threw their cigarette butts down and RAN in the door.
    I passed their glass front building re-inserting the now re-filled mag into the mag-well, and then into the grip of my pistol.
    I just glared at them as I walked by, and never had another incident with them.

I do NOT make a habit of open carrying these days. I REALLY did not like looking down the barrels of 8 different firearms at once.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You are correct, that is NOT normal, but not the worst either.

Several years ago I was working around the house and realized I had run out of cigarettes. Wow, that HAS been so time ago because I quit smoking 10 years ago!

Anyway, I left the house in a t-shirt and jeans. Walked a block and a half to the local V.P. on 14th and Union Sts. in Lafayette.

I walked in, asked for my smokes, and some lottery tickets, paid and left the building.

I walked across the parking lot and stepped out into Union St. to cross. All of a sudden I was surrounded by no less than 5 squad cars and at least 8 officers. All officers had their guns drawn and trained on ME!

I was confused! I hadn't done anything wrong or illegal.

Cops asked where I was coming from, headed to, and "why are you carrying a gun?"

It is then I realize I was open carrying. It didn't dawn on me to pull my t-shirt over my belt.

Police told me that they had received a call about a man with a gun erntering a V.P. I told them the clerk didn't act like it was a big deal. Police said it was NOT the V.P. clerk that called in the report.
    It was instead, some busy-body women standing outside of a medical services building next door to my house. They were outside smoking when a group of them watched me walk through the parking lot on my way to V.P.

After determining that I was legal to carry, the police handed me back my pistol, magazine (which they had emptied) and my ammunition. They told me I was "not allowed" to carry open. I told them they were mistaken, but did not want to push the issue.

When the officer handed me back my firearm and ammo, he asked me not to load it until they were gone!??!

They turned to leave, and so did I. I turned toward my house and started to walk, while reloading my magazine, and walking back through the medical services lot.

As soon as my foot hit the medical services parking lot, about 15 women threw their cigarette butts down and RAN in the door.
    I passed their glass front building re-inserting the now re-filled mag into the mag-well, and then into the grip of my pistol.
    I just glared at them as I walked by, and never had another incident with them.

I do NOT make a habit of open carrying these days. I REALLY did not like looking down the barrels of 8 different firearms at once.

I am very glad you do not OC much with that kind of demeanor. Walking down the street while loading your handgun does not sound very smart since you are possibly not aware of where your muzzle is pointing and you certainly don't have a good backstop.

Glaring at someone while shoving a magazine in a gun is not the image I would want people associating me with and does not make people more comfortable with carrying guns in public.

I hope you didn't mean it the way it sounded and if so then I apologize.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I am very glad you do not OC much with that kind of demeanor. Walking down the street while loading your handgun does not sound very smart since you are possibly not aware of where your muzzle is pointing and you certainly don't have a good backstop.

Glaring at someone while shoving a magazine in a gun is not the image I would want people associating me with and does not make people more comfortable with carrying guns in public.

I hope you didn't mean it the way it sounded and if so then I apologize.

:+1:

Somebody rep him for me. I'm out--mag empty--shooting blanks... Kinda like holding a Glock doncha know. :):

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Shooting a Glock is nothing to be ashamed of ;) as long as you do it in private and wash your hands afterwards...or was it writing that Heinlein said that about?:D

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So i have had my LTCH for almost a year now and have been CCing the whole time. I just always assumed there would be comments/weird looks. Finally gave it a try yesterday just going to the VP and what do you know, it happened. As soon as i walked in the door one of the customers goes< "Whoah! I thought you were gonna rob us for a minute!" which made the clerk super nervous. she stayed way behind the counter until i had to handed her my money. The customer asked me if i was a cop or had a license to carry and I told him I had a license. Didn't make them any less nervous though. A pretty awkward situation altogether.

Is this normal?

I OC a lot, and have yet to have anything like that happen. I did get asked once which caliber my MP was.......fella had a .40 of his own.

Shive.Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Greenwood/Whiteland
    nothing has happened to me along those lines. the only reaction i've gotten while OCing was when my contractor fixing my roof came into the house to get the check, and he was all for it. his only comment was "i didn't think you were they type of person to carry."

otherwise, it's always been a relatively easy, no problems thing for me. keep it up.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Ok. Now you guys are just starting crap for the fun of it. :ar15:

picture.php

Huh? Who??? Me???

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    So i have had my LTCH for almost a year now and have been CCing the whole time. I just always assumed there would be comments/weird looks. Finally gave it a try yesterday just going to the VP and what do you know, it happened. As soon as i walked in the door one of the customers goes< "Whoah! I thought you were gonna rob us for a minute!" which made the clerk super nervous. she stayed way behind the counter until i had to handed her my money. The customer asked me if i was a cop or had a license to carry and I told him I had a license. Didn't make them any less nervous though. A pretty awkward situation altogether.

Is this normal?

Whoah! Do you dress like a thug, or come across uneasy with open carrying?

I carry open about 75% of the time, and only one person ever said anything at all about a year ago. I was coming out of a Martin's Grocery store, and I guy sitting in the common area asked what caliber I carried. I can't even recall getting a second glance other than that one comment. I have to say that it might be that I dress like a white-collar office worker most of the time, and maybe most folks think I look like a detective or some such occupation.

I also think that it has something to do with one's demeanor. If I acted at all self conscious about carrying, folks would pick up on it and become uneasy. An example of demeanor: I work in B2B sales and I often walk through many business, and some of these businesses are fairly secure. I discovered long ago that if you act like you belong there, nobody even asks who you are or why you are there... I have always been amazed by that. If I acted like a tourist or somebody who who did not belong, people would pick up on it pretty fast... People are intuitive that way. They pick up on subtle signs.

I would say that if you are going to carry openly, that at a minimum you should at least do so with an air of confidence. As though you were born with a gun on your hip, and it's just supposed to be there.

Good luck.

Top Bottom