• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Thanks again for all the complements. I half way expected to get some negative feedback of some sort. But I'm loving all the positive comments. I can not wait to get started on the next one out of d2.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Thanks again for all the complements. I half way expected to get some negative feedback of some sort. But I'm loving all the positive comments. I can not wait to get started on the next one out of d2.

thats a BIG pitfall of the internet. 99.9% of the comments are positive, when posting pictures. some folks then believe that everything they make is awesome, even if its not. not the case, here, as your work is very good for a first knife! but there are makers who have made for years who can make a steaming pile of crap and fanboys will claim its the most awesome piece of kit EEEEEEVAH!!! :D

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Wow, ummm are you kidding me? that's your first knife? This is a skill I covet.

I made one out of a circular saw blade. Traced a spyderco, sharpened it and wrapped in paracord for the handle. Tested in on field dressing a deer. But, it looks like someone chopped up a circular saw blade.

Nice work guy.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Wow, I didn't expect this thread come back to life. Lol. But for the record, I am working on two more at the moment. Both being 1/4" thick d2 tool steel. And let me tell you, a full flat grind on 1/4" D2 is no easy task. Especially with average hand tools. I really like to do my stock removeal freehand with a hand held angle grinder (which is how I ground the above blade), and it's just not gonna cut it for this hard tool steel.

I kind of put them on hold and have been looking into belt grinders. I picked up a small belt, disc combo sander, but realistically that is just for the wood work. But I will keep posting as I get farther along.

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    i like it so much that i would be interested in one. PM me if you decide to make some more. it looks like one i would use.SWEET JOB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Thanks again for all the complements. I half way expected to get some negative feedback of some sort...

Wouldn't want you to feel disappointed, so here ya go...

Yer knife sucks, this thread sucks, and *YOU* SUCK(!!!) because we can't see more pics of your blade!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

...Now that I've restored your pessimism towards the Interwebs ;), please post some more pics of your sweet lookin' handiwork, dude!! :yesway: :ingo: :cheers:

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Awesome! Browning inspired?

Hey thats awesome! You are an artist, like a warrior poet.

The knife reminds me of a vintage Browning Drop point hunter, but bigger. I dont know but thats a nice knife and was curious if the old Brownings had any impact on design.

Congrats on the incoming rep

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Wow, I didn't expect this thread come back to life. Lol. But for the record, I am working on two more at the moment. Both being 1/4" thick d2 tool steel. And let me tell you, a full flat grind on 1/4" D2 is no easy task. Especially with average hand tools. I really like to do my stock removeal freehand with a hand held angle grinder (which is how I ground the above blade), and it's just not gonna cut it for this hard tool steel.

I kind of put them on hold and have been looking into belt grinders. I picked up a small belt, disc combo sander, but realistically that is just for the wood work. But I will keep posting as I get farther along.

Try using a metabo disk on the tool steel. I fabbed up a custom guard for a dewalt grinder so it accepts the metabo disks and they really do a fine job of honing hardened steel. Although i did bite the bullet and pick up an official metabo since then.Keep in mind they are intended for cutting and not truly a grinding disk, but who follows the rules with power tools anyway.:dunno:

Top Bottom