• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The 1st .22 rifle for a husband/father should be?

• Total voters

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    IMHO, if you're only going to have one .22, it needs to be Appleseed friendly. This means magazine fed. These little .22 magazines take up virtually no space and can easily be tossed in the rifle case.

I don't really buy the "magazines are too much to lug to the range" philosophy.

407048619.jpg

Why is a tube fed a disadvantage for an Appleseed?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Why is a tube fed a disadvantage for an Appleseed?

Hmm... I googled it, and I guess it's not. You just eject a live round to simulate the "mag change", which is likely faster than some people's reloads. You also have to leave the chamber flag in place until the command is given o "fire".

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Thanks for the input. I also will use this rifle to introduce some of my friends to shooting. I know at least two of them have never touched a firearm before.
    Exactly why I said 39a (or Henry). Soon I will be 50 and I have the 39a our Dad bought in the 1950's. He taught us to shoot with it, I learned to hunt with it, every new shooter I have ever trained has shot it. Some went on to buy model 60's, some 10/22's.

I am 7 years older then my Brother. One of the coolest memories I ever shared with him as adults was when I described to him Watching Dad teach him to be a true marksman. I was 14, he was 7 at the time. I always assumed he had heard me tell that story........I was wrong. He did not even know i had stopped to watch. So when he finally got to hear it our Dad had long passed but we still have that gun.

You can buy any gun, but any gun you buy will be "that gun" for at least two generations of your family, if you are lucky, three or four.

civilshoot582

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Morgan County
    My vote is for the Marlin 60. There are two of them in my family and they have given us many hours of reliable, fun shooting. My next project for the Marlin 60 is to create some speed loaders from empty aluminum arrow shafts.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Marlin - any; Model 60 (semi-auto); Model 981 (or XT-22 ???); and I've always wanted a 39A.
    the 39A's are pricey but feel like a CF - but are essentially Annie Oakley' gun too.
    (sounds like a shooting role model for a daughter).
    mine only 1 is a box magazine 989M2 which is a Model 60 action / prececessor to the 795 (like 35 y.o.) ...

If you want it to train help train your daughter, nothing could be better than an appleseed ready - marlin 795 Liberty Training Rifle - comes all set; but it is a 'box magazine'.

Accuracy - mine at 35 yrs. & several thousand rounds thru it - shoot more than accurate enough for squirrels and appleseeds, (when I do my part) ...

Parts for marlins are everywhere - reliability is great.

Top Bottom