• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The 1st .22 rifle for a husband/father should be?

• Total voters

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    I didn't start shooting until I was in my early 20's. So my gun purchases have all been defense/carry related. However, now that my wife is shooting with me and I am preparing my daughter to shoot I am looking for my 1st .22 rifle. I have two models in particular that interest me the Marlin model 60 and the Henry Golden Boy. I have not fired either rifle so I was hoping to get some input. Is the added cost of the Golden Boy justified over the Marlin model 60? I really like the look of both but I haven't shot either and I was hoping for feed back on triggers, sights, etc..

Thanks in advance.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Semi-Auto - Ruger 10/22 for a million reasons (literally)
    Bolt Action - CZ-452, 453 or 455 (because everyone should be blessed enough to own one)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I bought my first 22 a marlin 60 down in GA in March at age of 26. Paid 140 price was no concern got a good deal on a a slightly used rifle. Found out it was made in 86 the year of my birth and is the 18 round tube. Am very happy with how it shoots and will become my rabbit/squirrel gun.
    Ended up taking the scope off my air rifle and it shoots just fine from 50 yd. The only issue I have is I need to find a new tube as mine is starting to get loose and makes it hard to pull the inner tube out. Other than that can't go wrong and parts are out there.

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    I'm sorry, I want the tube fed magazine because I already have enough stuff to lug to the range with my other guns. I want trips to the range with this rifle to consist of rifle, bag, targets and ammo. The 10/22 is a good rifle I have used several that belonged to friends, it just isn't what I'm looking for in my 1st .22.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    tube-fed, bolt action would be my preference. Good luck finding them...I think Marlin makes a modern version, but most of the good ones are 50 years old or more..

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    There are options available to modify and improve the model 60 if you so desire. Not so much the Henry.

And really, how much trouble is it to pack 2 or 3 magazines to the range? I love rimfire stuff. So many quality options and great historical options still available on the used market. :rockwoot:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Nothing wrong with the Marlin 60 or the Henry. I grew up on a Marlin 60 and learned to shoot with it. It's nice to have a tube fed rifle when hunting and having the rifle slung over a shoulder. The Henry rifles are works of art and I've only gone so far as to work the action on a few of them. They are smooth as silk and a fine rifle by any standard, but it's almost too nice.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Some newer Marlins have feed and accuracy problems, Henry will take lr l or short and never fails. It is typically a tack driver. Also if there should ever be an issue they have the best customer servise anywhere.
    But then for the money you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10-22
    I have both and love them.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    IMHO, if you're only going to have one .22, it needs to be Appleseed friendly. This means magazine fed. These little .22 magazines take up virtually no space and can easily be tossed in the rifle case.

I don't really buy the "magazines are too much to lug to the range" philosophy.

407048619.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    IMHO, if you're only going to have one .22, it needs to be Appleseed friendly. This means magazine fed. These little .22 magazines take up virtually no space and can easily be tossed in the rifle case.

I don't really buy the "magazines are too much to lug to the range" philosophy.

I don't think it's a matter of magazines being that incoveinent, it's just that there's something to be said for a tube fed when it's one less thing to forget back at the house. I'll admit that I forgot my mags and didn't realize it until I got to the range... once and only once.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Marlin 60 and one of these
    Spee-D-Loader Spee-D-15 22 Cal Rimfire Tube Mag Rifle Ammo Loader

I have had the Model 60 for 20+ years and its still going strong. Its the first rifle my dad gave me, and I still enjoy shooting it today. Upgrades are fewer than the 10/22, but its a tack driver out of the box. They get dirty, and can jam because of it, so be prepared to pull it apart and clean the internals every once in a while.

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    I am a tinkerer/customizer by nature and I know how much you can do to the 10/22. That is why I don't want it. I want something I won't want to "trick out", I want something simple/classic that I will like how it is and leave it alone. I have seen the catalogs full of stuff for the 10/22 and I know my nature. However, when I had my 1911 I revered the design too much to mess with it. The Model 60 and the Henry make me feel similar to the 1911, in that I will leave it alone and enjoy it.
    I really was hoping to hear how dependable/accurate these two guns are, how the rigger feels, how well they hold up over time. Again, I have nothing against the 10/22 but it is not for me at this time.

Top Bottom