• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    *Some minor rounding is involved.

So there I was, surprised that I was even considering building an AR-15.

For a (very) long time, I have been either hostile to the AR-15 on my worst days, or non-committal on my best days. The .223 is too small, the plastic rifle itself seemed insufficient in some vague way, and then there was the mall ninja tacticool element to it.

Eventually, though, (mostly for reasons related to the SPR variants), my heart slowly warmed up to it as a platform. Plus, the ability to totally mod it became a huge interest point for me. (A .308 AR-10 variant is on the wish list.)

Recently, I did some work for a friend who is super-knowledgeable about guns generally, and the AR specifically. In exchange for the work, he offered to do a high-end build for me. (That'll be for another thread.) That was to be my first AR.

But it got me thinking about doing my own build. Now, I'm still not "into" ARs, so I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it. I've read about other people trying for under-$500 builds, but it never seemed like they could contain the costs. So, they ended up with an inexpensive rifle, but not necessarily under $500. Also, this is a soft market. I know that the same $500 for a build would get pretty close to getting a decent complete rifle. (For instance, as of this writing, the classified has a $600 Spikes lower that looks like a good rifle and it has been up for awhile.) Part of the reason for keeping it under $500 was because if it got to be more than that, I was probably spending too much.

I started researching. I may make bad choices, but they'll at least be informed.

I decided that if I can get a completed set of something for less than 10% more than what the individual parts cost, I would do that. That 10% is going to be worth it not to have to spend the time figuring it out myself.

Other than the expense, my other criteria was that I had to be able to find at least some credible reviews of the parts. So, PSA was on the list. But, that proved somewhat more difficult than I thought. There are a HUGE numbers of players in this market on the distribution side. I understand there are much fewer on the manufacturing side, but sorting that out isn't always easy. My 2 main resources were here at INGO and ar15.com (although the signal-to-noise ratio there is sometimes bad). At arfcom, this is a particularly useful thread.

Also, I suffer from a lack of patience. Once I got this idea in my head, it was hard to pass up what I thought was a deal. So, there may be room for others to come in lower if they are patient. Particularly if they stake out the classifieds here. (It seems like there is a usually a premium in the arfcom equipment exchange or on auction sites.) Here's how I came in (obligatory crappy cellphone pics):

PSA complete blemished lower $135 + $17 shipping (from PSA) like this one with 10% off discount code and you can't find the blemish
    Hardened Arms complete upper $202 + $35 shipping (through Gun Broker) like this one
    Ares Armor complete BCG $79 + $10 shipping (from Ares Armor site) like this one
    Colt Charging handle $10 + $4 shipping (from INGO classifieds)
    Magazine $6 + $1 shipping (from INGO classifieds - I bought several, but this ended up the per-unit rate basically)
    Total: $499 including shipping, $432 without.

And, here she is:

:)

Now, I haven't shot it yet, but the fit and finish seem solid. It is certainly a parts gun, and that's ok. It may not be a beauty, but for me - form follows function. Assuming it shoots straight, I can put a spare optic on it and have a knockaround rifle that fills a particular role in my small collection. Plus, I may paint/cerakote it something funky because... well... its a parts gun. :)

One thing I already know I would do different is the handguard/upper. I'd hold out or try to sneak out with a full top rail (at least) or quad rail for the $200, even if it is a UTG rail. I may end up doing some sort of bubba gunsmithing on it to get a rail on the front for an iron sight.

I would love to hear input from others on "budget builds."

Edit: haha - I just noticed in the first pic, I have the bolt facing the wrong way. :) Don't worry, I actually have it assembled correctly. :D

ETA: Because of friendly connection to an FFL, I avoided a transfer fee.

Last edited:

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    One of the ways to cut down on the cost is to purchase assemblies rather than individual parts from several locations. Assemblies usually cost less and basic shipping charges add up if parts are from different locations.

Spending a little more for the configuration you want will save the cost of replacement parts later.

Hardened Arms had this upper with railed hand guard, available for $350 with bolt carrier and charging handle for an extra $133. https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_182_27

It looks like you assembled a good AR.

If you are looking for a UTG rail DOA has the UTG Super Slim Free Float hand guard for $110 to $119 including free shipping.
    DOA ARMS AR15 parts, lower receivers and accessories

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    @0750 Turbo - yep - and that one has a front sight. The PSA deals are just crazy good if you can time it right.

@ jinks - yeah, that Hardened Arms setup is going on gunbroker for the $250 range. I'll wait and see how this one shoots before spending too much more on it.

Really, part of my take-away with this is that you can't really assemble an AR setup with sight/optics for less than $500. Less than $550 maybe.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Nice job, I am almost done with mine

$75 for a stripped lower

$200 complete PSA 16'' upper off a friend including adjustable stock and buffer

Just need the lower parts and I should be ready to assemble.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Nice job, I am almost done with mine

$75 for a stripped lower

$200 complete PSA 16'' upper off a friend including adjustable stock and buffer

Just need the lower parts and I should be ready to assemble.

Wow - that's a good friend! I was somewhat surprised that the complete BCG was so expensive. Easily could be 1/3 the cost of the entire rifle.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    One thing I did not see you mention in your prices was the Tansfer fee. So unless you did not pay for that you still did not come in under your $500 budget.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

Good catch! That's part of the "rounding" - :) a friend with connections to a friendly FFL. ;) So, I didn't pay one.

I'll edit the OP with that info, though, because it may impact someone else's choices.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Wow - that's a good friend! I was somewhat surprised that the complete BCG was so expensive. Easily could be 1/3 the cost of the entire rifle.

Ya I couldn't turn it down, it has a magpul Handgaurd on it that he had crack between the vents and he "Felt Bad", Maybe I am the one that should be feeling bad :rockwoot:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Brief update.

As part of my evolution in AR building, I've taken to Gunbroker. Overall, it seems like there are VERY few deals on there.

But, since I decided to swap out my non-railed upper for a railed one, I went back to the same provider - Hardened Arms. My previous upper worked well and there have been some VERY good deals on railed uppers from them on GB. Over the weekend, I got a railed one for about $10 more than what I spent on my non-railed (less than $250 after shipping). I would highly recommend checking them out if you're in the market for a budget upper.

ETA:
    It seems like there are some businesses that have a business model dedicated to GB. That is interesting to me, because, without a reserve, they have basically no control over the price point. That seems like a huge risk.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One thing I already know I would do different is the handguard/upper. I'd hold out or try to sneak out with a full top rail (at least) or quad rail for the $200, even if it is a UTG rail. I may end up doing some sort of bubba gunsmithing on it to get a rail on the front for an iron sight.

I would love to hear input from others on "budget builds."

This is what I just did:

PSA Blackhawk! lower (shipped) $146.99
    Transfer fee $15.00
    PSA Premium 16" upper w' quad rail $309.99
    PSA BCG $89.99
    PSA Charging handle $24.99
    Shipping $25.50
    Magpul BUIS rear $20.00

Total $632.46

I probably could have gotten a charging handle cheaper, but otherwise I don't see where I could have gone cheaper for a quality quad rail rifle.

I'm going to do a full write up once I've had some time to play with it but right now I've got a Eotech and an Inforce WML (HSP version) on it. The last thing is a sling. I should have under $1100 in the whole build.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I kept eyeing that PSA $309 upper. If this Hardened Arms one on GB hadn't come in so freaking low, that's what I would've done.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

Well, it isn't lonely in the sense that I got my high end LMT last month, too.

I *almost* got another PSA lower to make into a pistol, but decided I want to get these 2 like I want them - and still buy ammunition to actually shoot them!

A pistol/SBR is definitely on the list, though.

pshinn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    i have started my budget build

1st 2 items

anderson lower 74.00
    Delton LPK $53.00

Suggested buffer tube and stock on a budget?
    stripped upper?
    BCG?
    Barrel can you get one with shipping less than $100?

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I found, looking at barrels and the upper parts, that it was cheaper to be patient and get a good deal on a complete upper. On Gunbroker, there's a group from Washington called Hardened Arms that has complete uppers with no reserve. They'll often go for significantly cheaper than what you could assemble them for. I've used them 2x.

For the BCG, check out Ares Armor. They're also "taking a stand" (rightly or wrongly) against the BATFE on the issue of 80% lowers.

For the stock, I'd check PSA every day for a deal. :)

Also, keep the INGO Classifieds in your check-daily routine. Can get some good deals there, too.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom