My daughter made me a happy father today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    I was getting ready to go meet a friend of mine and fire my new S&W 22A and adjust the sight on it. She then asked me if I would teach her how to shoot a handgun and someday take her to the range to shoot. I almost cried and said we will start this week. I cannot wait to pass on what knowledge I have unto her. I am so proud of her.:rockwoot:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    :yesway:

My first is well on his way. The second is still a tad young (and far more interested in food right now, though that may never change). But it's so fun to see them get so excited with their first experience on the trigger.

GSXR883

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2012
    My 14 year old is starting to get into shooting and it's a great relationship builder. Especially, when she normally wants nothing to do with parents at this age.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    It is awesome. I started shooting with my daughter just this year. She is 17, and hadn't shown much of an interest before. I teach my kids how each weapon functions, how to clear it, etc... but she had always declined when asked if she wanted to shoot. Naturally, I wasn't going to force her. Then out of the blue earlier this spring she asked if she can try shooting. She's shot the .357, m&p9, 10/22 and ar-15. Her fav is the 10/22. Her groupings got great within 20 rounds with the m&p (where it took me 100-200 rounds lol). It is a great time to be had... I don't know if its just our relationship or not, but once in her teens, we seemed to gain some distance between us... Shooting has actually gotten us back closer to where we were before, and I am glad for that!

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Thats awsome! I started my daughter out on a 22 rifle a year or so ago. We just went to the range on the 4th and she shot at the 50 yard line mostly by herself. She was always ready for the cease fire with her bolt open and gun safe to post new targets with out any reminders. Definately makes you proud. She is only 8, but might start working with her on the 22 pistol soon.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I suggest that anyone with a child showing an interest in shooting consider taking them to an Appleseed event. Both of you will learn an enormous amount about rifle marksmenship and American history. It's also an excellent bonding time.

Here's a recent picture of a young lady (15 yrs old) learning to shoot. In one day she went from not shooting to hitting steel targets at 200 yards! Her father was beaming!

66a00f56.jpg

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You luck dog. Your Daughter is building our future with people who will be there to protect the rights of people who refuse to help. Tell your Daughter; Thank you from a Vietnam Combat Veteran.

shannonneumann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    NE Indiana
    my daughter (18 now, but was 17 at the time) asked, basically out of the blue, to learn how to shoot. we've gone to the range, as well as out to a friend's property, to shoot. her favorite is the .22LR revolver, but also handled herself respectably with everything from a .380 LCP to a Mossberg 535 tactical. :rockwoot:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was getting ready to go meet a friend of mine and fire my new S&W 22A and adjust the sight on it. She then asked me if I would teach her how to shoot a handgun and someday take her to the range to shoot. I almost cried and said we will start this week. I cannot wait to pass on what knowledge I have unto her. I am so proud of her.:rockwoot:

Mine both started a bit later than yours, but i share the same feelings as you over it. And tonight, I am going shooting with my daughter, and her new boyfriend. I have a feeling I will like him, since he is an avid gun owner and shooter.

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Well a little update. Started her out today learning the 4 rules of guns. I then taught her how it works, how to use the sights, and then let her dry fire it several times. Tomorrow is the big day that I take her to the range for some live fire. She and I are excited.

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Well here is an update. I finally got to take her to the indoor range today. She did GREAT. She did better with the 22 then I even imagined. Then she shot my Glock 22 .40 cal and it gave her a bit of a kick the first time but she squeezed off the rest of the 9 shots and did great. She cannot wait to go back again. I think I have created a MONSTER.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    Glad to hear it! My son 6, and my daughter 4, are already starting to learn the rules about gun safety and like to learn about each gun I have and watch me shoot when I go. I've tried to take them to the gun shop a couple of times, but they still need some time before they are ready for that; although they know not to touch any of daddy's guns, they still haven't made the connection not to touch other guns they see. Maybe after I've had some more time to teach them they'll be ready.

Tink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    So. Bend
    Thats great. My daughter wants to learn but she dont like the kick that any of mine have. I'll have to start her with a smaller caliber and work her way up.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'm happy for you ChrisBarnes. It is such a joy to have that bond with your child. My son Collin and I do and play almost everything together. There is something
    Different about the shooting sport, hobby that is just different than going out shooting basketball with them. My son is 12 and I have created a shooting monster. I hope the same for you. Keep buying her ammo!!!!!!!

Top Bottom