My daughter can legally own, her husband cannot how do I...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Hello group,

My daughter can legally own, her husband cannot. If I gift her a weapon how do I make it unequivocally clear it is HER weapon and not his. I want to protect them from overzealous LEO's if possible,

oDbCo

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Legally, it is very risky to posses a firearm while living with someone who legally cannot own one. Almost to the point where it is not worth it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Sounds like your daughter is married to someone with a felony? The key here, as has been discussed on INGO a number of times, is making sure he cannot have access to the firearm. It's tricky. He could get jacked up pretty badly, if he has access to a firearm. It's not really a matter of who the owner is. I'd consult an attorney, maybe Relford, and see what their take is on it.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    My daughter can legally own, her husband cannot. If I gift her a weapon how do I make it unequivocally clear it is HER weapon and not his.

Is this a firearm as part of an estate, or do you wish to give it to her while you're alive? If the latter, I see little way around him being in/around a firearm, even when it's "secured". How do you convince a jury you DON'T know the safe's combination?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    While not ideal, is this a situation that an antique firearm could solve? Felons can own those, correct? I'm not saying blackpowder, but there are many antique cartridge revolvers in usable calibers out there. (Think .45 long colt or .44-40.)

Carey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Mentone
    Like so.eone else said, that is a slippery stone. I don't think I would do it just for the fact it could get my daughter in trouble as well. I'd look for other options.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hello group,

My daughter can legally own, her husband cannot. If I gift her a weapon how do I make it unequivocally clear it is HER weapon and not his. I want to protect them from overzealous LEO's if possible,

Guy Relford, is the guy to talk to .....

If a Felony, then no .....

Probation, maybe .....

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Legally, it is very risky to posses a firearm while living with someone who legally cannot own one. Almost to the point where it is not worth it.
    Legally, it's kinda questionable, as long as they are in their residence. IC, makes it clear that prohibited persons cannot possess or carry a firearm. But there is caselaw that exempts "in the home" possession by a felon. It's quirky, and may not work, up it is there. Now, I do not know if this applies to a person convicted of a DV misdemeanor, but a felon in possession, in his own home MAY be ok under IC, noe, the Feds can at anytime pick it up, but...?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Step 1. Get a lawyer (Guy Relford).
    Step 2. Don't post anything else in this thread that you don't want quoted in court.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    You are all making this harder than it has to be. Just have her get a different husband. But serious talk with an Attorny and get an expungement. Make sure you get one that does the Expungment correctly. There is a trick to doing them the right way. I'd tell you how but that would cost you big bucks :draw:

Top Bottom