• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    It's amazing how the little things we pound into our heads about safety can have far reaching effects when properly practiced.

I was at the range today doing some drills drawing and firing the first shot from concealment when the front sight of my pistol caught on a lip on the inside of my overshirt and turned in towards my stomach. Had I had my finger on the trigger as soon as the gun was pulled from the holster as many tend to do then I probably would have ventilated my midsection. It took me a second to fully realize the gravity of what had just not occurred and why. I learned a lot about the particular shirt I was wearing and the incident was not repeated for the rest of the session. I was also able to see how I shot when the added stress of what had just happened present. I was still shooting a little low at 10yds...so, no change at all...

Moral of the story: Keep your Gold Diggin' booger picker off the freaking trigger until it's pointed downrange!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for sharing that. Its good to learn from your mistakes. Its even better to learn from someone else's.

Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Thanks for sharing we can all use a safety reminder from time to time this just hammers it home. Glad you were practicing good trigger safety and didn't add another hole to yourself.

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    I had a blink at a light in a tunnel aswell. I was taking my belt & holster off, I always take gun out first. This time I didn't and a Ruger P84 hit the floor HAMMER FIRST. I was looking right down the pipe. It hit very hard and it could of gone BOOM. Just glad to be here and it could happen to anyone. Also one day at a friends all day with friends & family shooting, me being the SAFETY GUY was putting up everything. Out of nowhere I hit staple gun wrong way and you know what happened after. Just glad had a pair of needle nose with me.. THE OLD SAYING IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE IS SO VERY TRUE... Eddie

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

I'm having a bit of trouble picturing how the shirt could've caused such a dramatic "catch" to turn the handgun.

A) please know that I don't doubt you. I really don't.

B) I'm having trouble picturing it is all. I promise.

While being 100% SAFE - is there any way that you may be able to have some photograph this using a dummy gun / demonstrably empty one?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    OP:

I'm having a bit of trouble picturing how the shirt could've caused such a dramatic "catch" to turn the handgun.

A) please know that I don't doubt you. I really don't.

B) I'm having trouble picturing it is all. I promise.

While being 100% SAFE - is there any way that you may be able to have some photograph this using a dummy gun / demonstrably empty one?

I'll avoid taking a picture of me holding a gun to myself if I can avoid it. However, I managed to get a picture of the lip where it was caught in general relation to where the pistol would have been on the draw. It's a full button up short sleeved shirt, not a t-shirt.

View attachment 29515

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I dropped a Ruger Super Blackhawk out of a shoulder holster years ago, had just got home from a deer hunt in Kentucky, and bent down to untie my boots. I had unsnapped the strap on the holster, and got sidetracked, then went to untie the boots. I will always remember the sight of that beast hitting the floor, on the hammer, muzzle pointed straight at my face. Back then, I carried all of my revolvers on an empty chamber. It was a new model Blackhawk, but, you just never know.

Glad you escaped without injury!

Top Bottom