My boys want to build a shack in our woods.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Saturday's weather was pretty much perfect. We spent the morning running around and getting my wife finger printed and paperwork turned in for her LTCH, then met Tyler-The-Piker and did a trade, had lunch ,then headed home to enjoy the weather. It was beautiful. I got out the chainsaw and started cleaning up the down trees in the woods. The boys wanted to go "exploring" in the woods. I gave them the "stay out of the water" spiel and sent them on their way.

15 minutes later, they come out of the wood . I was thinking, that didn't take long. Lol. They came over to where I was at all excited and told me about the place they had discovered. :) we have a couple trails that are closer to the house and other than being in the creek, they have never been farther than the trails go. Until Saturday that is. There is a low spot just past the trails that butts up to the creek that is sandy. We have now named it "The beach". Well, they proceeded to tell me that they needed to get some stuff and they were going back out. A couple minutes later they all come out of the house carry g their walking sticks and 2 bottles of water apiece. Just how long are they planning on being gone? About 45 minutes go by and I go check on them. They each have their 2 bottles of water and walking stick set in their own little area on the beach. And they have come up with the plan that they NEED to build some sort of shelter, you know dad, like a shack if they are gonna be hanging out down there all the time.

Of cours they are trying to get me to save every twig I am having them throw in the fire pit. I told them they can help me clean up the woods and we will see what we can come up with to build them a shack. Gonna be a learning experience for all of us, that's for sure. I'm gonna learn how to make a shelter and they are gonna learn that picking the low spot next to the creek may not be the best idea for a shelter. Lol. We are looking forward to it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That's awesome. I spent a ton of time in the woods as a boy and absolutely loved every minute of it. In warmer weather I was in the creek all day catching crawdads and fish. In the colder weather, especially if there was snow on the ground I was tracking and stalking different critters. I learned more than I realized about being stealthy while moving through the woods and it served me well years later when I started hunting. Sooooooo much better than sitting in front of the television with a game controller in their hands. It's great that they live someplace where they have that opportunity!

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Sooooooo much better than sitting in front of the television with a game controller in their hands. It's great that they live someplace where they have that opportunity!

This is my main goal in life these days. Teach them that screens aren't the best times in life. Saturday was definitely a step forward for that. When it is warm, we hike and fish the creek. All 7 of us love it.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Sounds like 2 12 year old boys with us this weekend. Son had a friend from school stay over Sat night. Saturday was in the woods and nearby the creek.

Boys. You could have sold tickets when dad quietly walked up on them and they didnt see him until he was sitting on a log nearby. The friend almost jumped out of his skin.

:ingo:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My family had a cabin on a lake in Pike County when I was growing up. Friends and I built many a lean-to and other shelters over the years. Something special about a place you make in the woods.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    When I was a kid and I wanted to build a hut or fort, my dad would stop by the local lumber yard and fill his PU up with crooked lumber. It costs him next to nothing and we go more than we needed to build with..

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Free pallets are a good source of lumber for a project like that. I'd also tell them about rising waters, etc. rather than make them learn the hard way. Spring will be here soon, and the fort will be downstream right after they build it. I'd tell them "Guess who gets to drag the trash out of the creek if you decide you want it on the beach?"

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I'm gonna learn how to make a shelter and they are gonna learn that picking the low spot next to the creek may not be the best idea for a shelter. Lol. We are looking forward to it.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment

At first I was going to say to warn them about the low spot but... could be a great "experience". Give enough advice to keep them safe so they don't get drowned by the rising waters or have the shelter collapse on top of them. The rest can be up them, offer advice when asked, point them to the proper resources if they want to learn on their own. Although passing up the opportunity to build it together with them would be hard to pass up. You know your kids best, choose the approach that best guides them to become the men you want them to be.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm 47 and still get the itch to build a fort! Man, we had some dandies when we were kids. Mom and Dad built a house when we were young. Some of the lumber made it's way into the woods.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I do like the idea of getting a truck load of the bent lumber. We may look into that one of these days. We took a walk out to "The Beach" today to check how high the water gets. Surprisingly enough, the creek didn't come over the edge by the beach. Here's a picture of it from up on top of the hill.

Top Bottom