My boy graduated to a .22 this weekend at Atterbury!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    My son (9) has been practicing his shooting skills and gun safety with a pellet rifle in the back yard a while now. I took him to Atterbury Saturday afternoon for his first time shooting a real firearm (.22).

I let him shoot my Marlin 60 with Simmons 3-9 scope. He shot supported on a stand on the pistol/.22 side at 15 yds. He read the rules, listened really well, and did exactly what he was supposed to do. He did a great job! I'm really proud of him! We had a blast. :ar15:

He hit me up to come back to the range again on Sunday as soon as we got in the truck to leave Saturday. He must have asked a dozen times this morning. I took him again this afternoon. He just went to bed and asked when we could go back again when we tucked him in. He's pumped and so am I. :rockwoot:

Oh, and he has also laid claim to my Marlin now. He told some friends we had over for dinner last night that he shot "his" .22 at the range. :laugh:

This is going to get expensive, but worth it I'm sure!
    :ingo:

img018.jpg

Last edited:

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Congrats! :rockwoot:and it will be expensive but you can't put a price on father son time and of course your putting money into something he will enjoy for a life time not just a couple months

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Congrats! :rockwoot:and it will be expensive but you can't put a price on father son time and of course your putting money into something he will enjoy for a life time not just a couple months

Well said. I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the post!

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    That's awesome. Can't wait till I can start teaching my little guy (who's not quite 2 yet). Good job bringing him up right — neither of you will forget those father-son moments.

rlynch25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    South East Indy
    It's good to see traditions carried on. I've taken close to 50 deer in my life. The last 2 years I have taken 0 while teaching my son to hunt. The best 2 years I've hunted IMO as he has taken deer both years and become a better hunter each time out.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    That's awesome. Can't wait till I can start teaching my little guy (who's not quite 2 yet). Good job bringing him up right — neither of you will forget those father-son moments.

I'm in the same boat.

The Marlin model 60 was the first gun I bought and it should serve him well over the years.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    That's great! It will be a little expensive, but worth every penny and more in memories and time shared with your son. It doesn't get any better than that! :)

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Stuff like this makes me think I might want kids someday. I doubt it, but we'll see. I just need to get my sister to pop out a nephew. Glad you are having fun.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Congrats, you will have a lot of fun times ahead.

I started my 8 year old daughter out with a cricket last year. And last weekend she shot in her first competition and done quite well.

It is actually dirt cheap when you consider how expensive kid friendly and enjoyable activities are. I would much rather pay for ammo for her to shoot all day, then pay for a movie with popcorn and a soda or pay for chuck e cheese.

Sure she would enjoy the movie or the games at chuck e cheese, but how much bonding would we do? She will remember these shooting trips for the rest of her life. That's well worth the cost of an overpriced brick of .22's lol

Last edited:

RJF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    oh yeah I remember my first gun 410 22 over under love that gun I still shoot it more than my reg 22s. from the pic it looks like the start of a fun time to come

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    It has definitely strengthened our bond. He wants to be just like Dad in anything and everything we do. That is priceless!

Hopefully we can get some shooting in the weekend if this rain will ever stop...

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    It has definitely strengthened our bond. He wants to be just like Dad in anything and everything we do. That is priceless!

Hopefully we can get some shooting in the weekend if this rain will ever stop...

There is no better Hero than a dad if you play your cards right!

My son is 12 and he will get his first .22 rifle for Christmas!

Top Bottom