• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Well, Looks like I'm being forced to go on a damn cruise in Feb. Kids are forcing me to go with them on RC's "Voyager of the Seas" out of New Orleans and I don't know the first thing about cruising. No time to get a passport seeing that this was all dumped on me last night. Cruise line says I don't need a passport but I sure don't feel comfortable leaving the country without one.

Only positive I can see is they are paying for everything. Any help would sure be appreciated on what and what not to do.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    :laugh:

Man, I'm glad nobody ever tries to force me to go on a tropical vacation. I mean, who the heck would want to go on a cruise when we have this beautiful snow and ice here in Indiana!? What kind of kids did you raise!?

All kidding aside, have lots of fun and enjoy it! :yesway:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well, Looks like I'm being forced to go on a damn cruise in Feb. Kids are forcing me to go with them on RC's "Voyager of the Seas" out of New Orleans and I don't know the first thing about cruising. No time to get a passport seeing that this was all dumped on me last night. Cruise line says I don't need a passport but I sure don't feel comfortable leaving the country without one.

Only positive I can see is they are paying for everything. Any help would sure be appreciated on what and what not to do.

You can pay a little extra and get the passport in a few days.

Make SURE you are back on the boat on time when it leaves a stop, they're pretty ruthless about that (have to be).

Otherwise enjoy, I have a friend who does a couple of cruises a year and loves them.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you want to drink order booze and have it sent to you room before you board other wise you buy theirs and it was $12 for a double Jack and coke.
    If you buy from the duty free shop you get it at the end of the trip.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Can't speak to the cruise, but I'd arrive in New Orleans a few days early (or plan on staying over a few days after your return) and see the sights and eat the food. NOLA is one our favourite places to vacation. The aquarium is great, the zoo is great and the D-Day museum shouldn't be missed. You could have a better time waiting for the boat than you do on the cruise.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When you're in Port, beware of the locals. They can spot a tourist a mile away. They'll try to swindle you into buying something. My friend lost some cash that way. I said NO! Enjoy your cruise. We had a blast! Make sure you know where all the emergency exits are and your life jacket.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I went on a cruise and HATED it. I am not the partying type and was only 17 anyway but it was BORING. I should have brought books to read because the TV they had replayed the same 3 movies the entire week...

Anyway I second the extend your vacation in New Orleans! It was the highlight of my trip and the aquarium is the best I have ever been to.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Cruises are awesome, just kick back and relax. Although a passport wasn't necessary when I last took one, it's still a good idea to have it just incase you get hurt or sick and need to fly back to the states. If you get on the passport thingy now and pay a little extra you should have it in time.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    aint gettin me on no boat! no guns, no ammo, no supplies and gear! and i dont think they'd like me taking my own life boat on board.

and it just aint cool leavin the country! i like it here!

didnt any of you folks see titanic and ghost ship? :dunno:

good luck

jake

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We just got back from one in Nov. It was our wedding reception. we had 20 people go with us and what a way to celebrate getting married that I hope to never do again.

Travel Insurance. Seven corners in Carmel is a broker and can set you up. Cheap plans for a week or month and can save your bacon in an emergency.

we used pass ports every time we got on the boat.... Some didnt have them, but if you can get one try to do so.

Once on the boat....

Water and lemon-aid were free. If you have to have soda then buy the drink package.

The food was OK, nothing great.

If you are a drinker, booze can add up. You can get a wine package so if you are a wine drinker that is the cheapest way to get your fix.

Your port of calls will be a tourist trap. Locals will hound you, just say no and keep walking or try to buy their items for way cheap. we tried to buy something for a 1/2 of a smoke and 2 bucks. It was a fun game.....

Also I did not get sick, but some other people we were with did. get some motion sickness meds. The wife got sick and took some zofran(rx only) and that helped her.

If you go to a private island and you have the option of renting a cabana rent one. Our group got some, it included a private lunch buffet and private bar. it was not that expensive. if we didn't do that we would of had to wait in line for food and drinks while the rest of the ships passengers are ahead of you.

Once you are on the boat, you have nothing you have to do. Even at the stops you can stay on the boat and enjoy what it has to offer while everyone else is gone.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Wouldn't cruise again, even if YOUR kids were paying for it, or even if MY ex-wife paid for it (Unless she went along for the ride, on the anchor!)

I guess there are cruisers and non-cruisers. Personally I don't like spending my vacation on somebody elses schedule.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    I am leaving for one next sunday I love cruising , do you know if you have a balcony? I have been on that ship before , its very nice and you will have a good time. There is plenty of different stuff to do. Shows, Bingo , dancing, pool, what ever you want. +1 on the booze we sneak a few bottles on or buy on shore and fill up water bottles.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Enjoy. You are blessed with children that care so enjoy that as well.
    Went on a sail boat cruise once out of the virgin Islands. It was great but I was not sardine canned into a boat with so many I cared so little for. Sail boat took 50 people.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    As far as the no passport thing I would make sure before I went. If you go out of the country you must have a passport. You can get a card type passport that will allow you to go out of the country on a boat but not by air. I would make dang sure before the last minute.

If you like alcohol, get rum runners. They work. Pack them in with your clothes and they will get through.

I don't know about RC but with Norwegian we were allowed a 12 pack of sodas and a case of water per person. Check the web site to see if they allow this.

Excursions. They are expensive but well worth it.

DSCN0328.jpg

DSCN0320.jpg

DSCN0247.jpg

DSCN0173.jpg

DSCN0003.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I've only been on one cruise but it was a blast, plenty to do and at least on our boat the food was excelant. I thought alcohol was included on our trip but my wife tells me it wasnt(I'm guessing she would remember it better, she didn't drink;). It was a good time, I would like to go again. Makes you feel real small when you are standing at the back of the ship at night and all you can see is water.

Top Bottom