• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Disclaimer: I don't give legal advice online; I claim no special expertise or knowledge about this particular law; and I'm only floating these ideas out for discussion and education. Don't anyone go treating this like legal advice, because it isn't!

Interesting situation -- I'd like to hear opinions from GunLaywer and Kirk, too. For that situation, I think the problem would be whether you were "employed or authorized" to participate in a school-authorized activity. That's a pretty vague term, but to me it connotes working/volunteering FOR the school. Your PTO example is getting pretty close to the line, IMHO -- your presence is aimed at your child's academics more than the benefit of the school as an institution.

Now, to muddy up the hypothetical further, it would be even closer to the line if your PTO, in conjunction with these monthly meetings, does some school-beautification stuff like volunteer landscaping, etc.... ;)
    To me, "employed or authorized by the school" indicates that the person must have been granted authority to act on the school's behalf at the school function - not merely attending with the school's consent or even due to a mandatory requirement of the school. In this regard, the preferred definition of "authorize" is "to grant authority or power to." Requiring attendance at a school event is not the same as "authorizing" a person to act for the school - at least that's how I read the statute - and I think it's consistent with the rest of the section.

Not legal advice - just my :twocents:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Kirk, Gunlawyer, what is your opionion if you were part of an organization asked to volunteer at school events to act as security?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    To me, "employed or authorized by the school" indicates that the person must have been granted authority to act on the school's behalf at the school function - not merely attending with the school's consent or even due to a mandatory requirement of the school. In this regard, the preferred definition of "authorize" is "to grant authority or power to." Requiring attendance at a school event is not the same as "authorizing" a person to act for the school - at least that's how I read the statute - and I think it's consistent with the rest of the section.

Not legal advice - just my :twocents:

This is kinda the way I see it. Like I said, I have no intention of testing it. This was all curiosity.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Having worked security at a high school function for a private security company ONLY P.D. carried firearms. I don't think I would imply anything if asked to do something for a school I would ask about firearms before carrying there and have something IN WRITING for CYA.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The way I understand it, you would have been fine on the school issue because you never exited your vehicle. I know it would still freak me out a little bit though because I bet maybe 15% of cops know that law - its just not common knowledge.

Glad everything went good!:yesway:

Ain't that the truth :yesway:. If cops think you can't even OC, then they probably won't recall half the other laws. They do have a ton of laws to remember though.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Kirk, Gunlawyer, what is your opionion if you were part of an organization asked to volunteer at school events to act as security?
    On its face, that would appear to fall squarely within the exception in the statute, which mentions "security guard" specifically. (But if it were me, I agree with Sureshot129 - I would get written authorization from the school before I carried in this capacity.)

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    thanks for the reply Gunlawyer, my main issue is when I'm out and carrying then I'm supposed to be at a school to help and have to go home to disarm. I would never carry an school grounds with out written permission, not worth th risk of going to jail, but it would be nice to be able to just secure my weapon in my car and help out.

Top Bottom