• ...and so much more!
  • MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    So today, myself and 2 of my buddies headed down to Atterbury to spend some time at the pistol range. I got some new sites installed on my sig and glock and wanted to make sure they were where I wanted them and they were. :) Shot my Firestorm .45 that I recently picked up on the boards. It's a great .45 for the price of them! My only complaint is the slide isn't locking back after the last round, so I have to look into that.

One of my buddies is pretty new to shooting so I spent some time working with him. He's got an XD compact(?) in .40. He was having a heck of a time keeping it on target. I'm talking 10 inch groups at 20'! Luckily, he knows it's him and not the gun and he's wanting to get some REAL training so I'm going to give him some info. This was the first time I'd ever shot an XD. Not a bad gun! I'll stick with my Sig though. :D

Ok, now the fun part. The RO's were as good as always. I've never had any problems with them. They keep a tight range, which is what I like. Well, we hadn't been there more than 10 minutes when it got ugly. I was still putting my mags and shell on the bench when I noticed a group of 2 guys and 2 gals about 10 spots down. First, the guy that had the weapon in his hand half turned around from the line and pointed his firearms DOWN the line. Next, he turns to the other 3 standing behind them, and, POSES WITH THE GUN POINTING AT THEM SO THEY COULD TAKE A PICTURE!!! At this point I yelled at the guy out of the top of my lungs. He turns, points the gun at me and points at the mag well with a WTH look on his face saying "there's no mag in it". I yelled back to point it down just as the RO's came running up. The RO's spent some time with them going over gun safety and what to do/not to do. I'd say they spent the better part of 30 or 40 minutes with them. I do have to say that when I was yelling at this guy the range did go quiet. Everyone but a couple of guys way down on the rifle range just stopped and stared. I guess common sense just isn't so common.:rolleyes:

A big +1 for the RO's at Atterbury for doing what they do. I know some on here aren't a fan of this place, but I'm glad they do what the do.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's a nice range and all, but only getting 40 minutes of range time and paying for 60. My Dad worked there before they rebuilt it, and it was fine the way it was.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    :+1: to you for speaking up to them. Just because the mags are on the bench doesn't mean there isn't a round lodged in the chamber. You want to go home safe that day, too.

What are the four rules, kids?
    "Treat every gun as if it's always loaded."
    "Know your target and what's beyond it."
    "Finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you're ready to shoot."
    "Never point the gun at something you don't want destroyed."

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Good on the ROs, and good on you. Rep sent.

There are some really, really stupid and/or improperly educated people that come to public ranges. Sometimes they just don't know any better and need to have basic firearms safety rules firmly explained to them.

I know some folks don't like the way the ROs there run the show, but I don't mind. I would rather have a bit more downtime and structure when sharing the line with "lowest common denominator" types.

ahighland

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Bloomington
    Good job speaking up.

What are their range fees like? I know they were pretty high in the past, but there was some talk of them becoming more reasonable.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    $7 for the first hour, $5 each additional.

Home

Not too bad, but not great either. As far as outdoor facilities go, it's one of the nicest I've ever been to.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    $7 for the first hour, $5 each additional.

Home

Not too bad, but not great either. As far as outdoor facilities go, it's one of the nicest I've ever been to.

Yup, I agree. I remember the old range. You took your life into your hands when ever you went there. The range is one of the nicest in the state, not to mention the midwest. With ammo as high as it is, spending $12 on a range fee for 2 hours of shooting and people on hand to make it a safe place, I'll take it any day.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Right on.

We need to get together one of these days and go down. Maybe get IndyTechNerd to go, too. We'll have an MPCC shooting outing. LOL

-J-

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Right on.

We need to get together one of these days and go down. Maybe get IndyTechNerd to go, too. We'll have an MPCC shooting outing. LOL

-J-

Yes we do! Actually, the 2 guys that I was down there with are members of MPCC and also members of my small group at church. It was a great bonding time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I was there this morning and had a great time. I must have left before they came because it was well run, and everyone was doing their thing and having a good time. +1 to you for noticing the danger and alerting the RO's.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Ok, now the fun part. The RO's were as good as always. I've never had any problems with them. They keep a tight range, which is what I like.

A big +1 for the RO's at Atterbury for doing what they do. I know some on here aren't a fan of this place, but I'm glad they do what the do.

I went to Atterbury last week, first time I have been since they changed the place. I likely hadn't been down to that range for five years, give or take a year? Anyways, the place was _very_ nice, I really like what they did to the place. I walked in and asked my questions. I was shooting a bolt action that I had _never_ shot before.

Of course being new to sighting in a rifle, I started at the 100 yard mark. Thankfully one of the ROs came out and helped me, and I was able to get my rifle back on target with his help.

Glad to hear no one got hurt.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    More people are accidentally shot with unloaded guns than any other kind.

ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

rlynch25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    South East Indy
    I'm glad you spoke up. It's also nice to hear that the range fees have dropped from where they were. MontereyC6 is right, $12 for 2 hours of shooting is a fair price.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    It's a nice range and all, but only getting 40 minutes of range time and paying for 60. My Dad worked there before they rebuilt it, and it was fine the way it was.

I have to SUPER strongly disagree with you on attebury being fine the way it was.

I was ran out of there by the idiots, I had people handling and loading firearms while I was setting up targets,

I had a guy bring his kids with some 22's and after going down to him and trying to give him ear protection for him and his whole family and he refusing me and the last time getting pretty short with me, Then cussing me as they packed up and left when we fired our guns that were much louder. I'm sure he still talks about the idiot that ran him and his family off the range.

I'm sorry there are too many people who do not show proper responsibility

sorry for taking the thread off, I'll leave this as a stand alone comment.

Glad you got to shoot an XD, I don't own one but the time's I"ve fired them they have an appeal

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I'm glad you spoke up. It's also nice to hear that the range fees have dropped from where they were. MontereyC6 is right, $12 for 2 hours of shooting is a fair price.

Actually thats terrible. All the ranges i go to are free or much cheaper.

Top Bottom