• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Some time back in another thread I challenged Jack Ryan when we said something to the effect of ¨Mossberg shotguns are crap¨.

I would like to apologize and confirm that Mossberg are indeed crap. At least my 590A1 is total and utter crap. Another mag spring fail this morning. I´m going back to 870s for good. Getting ready to hit the range with one right now. :xmad:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    See my experience has been the other way. That all the Remi's that I have had were crap, and my Mossies have worked like champs... YMMV

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Ive bumped heads with jack a few times..... But I think I would like the guy if we ever met.... Hes one of the thicker skinned members here. As far as the mossy goes. I find there prices cheap so I dont touch em.... Im a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". Cheap price usually means Cheap gun.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Some time back in another thread I challenged Jack Ryan when we said something to the effect of ¨Mossberg shotguns are crap¨.

I would like to apologize and confirm that Mossberg are indeed crap. At least my 590A1 is total and utter crap. Another mag spring fail this morning. I´m going back to 870s for good. Getting ready to hit the range with one right now. :xmad:

I have never been a fan of Mossberg, but they do tend to go BANG more times than not. They just don't feel as comfortable as an 870 or Benelli to me.

Sorry to hear about your spring problem, that can be very frustrating no matter what brand of firearm you are dealing with.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Ive bumped heads with jack a few times..... But I think I would like the guy if we ever met.... Hes one of the thicker skinned members here. As far as the mossy goes. I find there prices cheap so I dont touch em.... Im a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". Cheap price usually means Cheap gun.

The 590A1 isn´t an inexpensive gun as far as shotguns go, but I´ve had it with this one. The Mossberg 500 series seemed to be priced in the same ball park as the 870 express. I´m not sure I follow you on this one.

and even though he is a member of the UAW, Jack´s a good guy.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Every mossy I've had so far has worked great. That doesn't mean I haven't thought about getting an 870 at one time or another. The one thing I don't like about the 870's is the location of the slide release button.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    I have tried to like Mossberg shotguns (500,835) and just don't feel as comfortable with them as Remington. Reliability was never an issue, they just feel cheap to me.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    My Mossberg 500 works great. Shot a 8 point buck at 100 yards, 2 does at 90 yards (iron sights). Shot well over 200 clays. Never had any malfunction problems.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    My Mossberg 500 works great. Shot a 8 point buck at 100 yards, 2 does at 90 yards (iron sights). Shot well over 200 clays. Never had any malfunction problems.

I have an old Mossberg 500 I bought to shoot trap with some of my friends.
    I bought the gun used while I was in Colorado Springs in 1991. It is a 500ATP with a 28" barrel. I have shot thousands of rounds through this gun and it has been cleaned maybe twice. It has never failed to function period. This goes to the range with me almost always. I have a 20" barrel I put on once I get her home. She is my favorite Shotty.

I have a Mossberg 935. This has to be the most comfortable to shoot shotgun I have ever shot.

I also have a Remington 870.

All in all the guns work.

I try to judge a weapon as I do people. I let "MY" experiences with them dictate how I feel. If I would have bought into the "Mossbergs are crap" years ago, I would have missed out on many great outings with her.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Ya don't owe me any thing friend. I don't take it to heart, every one is entitled to an opinion and they can only be formed from what ever expirience you've had.

Just for the record, I wouldn't say they fall all the way to the "crap" standard but... well no need to go in to that here.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I have some friends who say the same thing when they see I'm a life member of the NRA.

Life is full of contradictions if yer view is narrow.

I have some buddies in the DWU and were I am in the OCU(regardless of the same employer) they are always at odds with me about something. So I completely understand your comment on narrow views. Oh well, keeps the blood pressure up and gives me a chuckle.:D

Top Bottom