My adventures in reloading are about to begin...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I am about 1 1/2 years into reloading and have put about 15,000 through my Dillon.

Buy in Bulk is the way to go. Find people that you know reload and split orders in bulk to offset the shipping. I like to buy local but they have limits that cause several trips to various locations.

Place orders where you can and get on back order list if thats all you can do. I have four 8 lb jugs of Bullseye on back order right now. That will bring my cost down to around $14 per pound. I am currently paying $22 per lb.

x-Treme bullets and RMR are my go to for plated bullets.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    One issue i did have was a variance in my finished OAL. Every 10 of so I would check 3 rounds for OAL, shooting for 1.150, but would end up with some from 1.1455 to 1.1535. Can't figure out what was causing the issue. All of my dies were tight and when I started noticing the issue I was purposely pausing at the end of each stroke to ensure I wasn't cutting part of the stroke out, and still had same results.

Get on a class schedule at Profire. That will be the best money you will spend.

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am about 1 1/2 years into reloading and have put about 15,000 through my Dillon.

Buy in Bulk is the way to go. Find people that you know reload and split orders in bulk to offset the shipping. I like to buy local but they have limits that cause several trips to various locations.

Place orders where you can and get on back order list if thats all you can do. I have four 8 lb jugs of Bullseye on back order right now. That will bring my cost down to around $14 per pound. I am currently paying $22 per lb.

x-Treme bullets and RMR are my go to for plated bullets.

I plan on doing that at some point, but for right now I'm in a trial phase. Once I figure out what my guns like I will start bulk ordering. The only thing I would be sure to always use is Hornady 240gr XTPs for my Henry BigBoy 44mag which is my load I deer hunt with. But still with that one I will playing with powder choices. Right now I need to find some H110.

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have loaded well over 150K rounds on my 550...its a workhorse... I bought it in 1993, running mostly 38spl for cowboy but can run 45 ACP, 223, 9mm, 40sw, and 45/70...love it!!! The only part I have had break are some decap pins and that was just this year...and I had some of the plastic primer tube tips just plain wear out...

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    All set up now. Been reloading and experimenting with really good results out of my firearms. Have quite a few loads already developed specifically for my guns.

Also went old school with my scale. I trust things mechanically more than electrically. Same thing with the press.

Here's a pic of my setup so far:
    lD0Q4ECl.jpg

zkyoW5zl.jpg

s1InIgel.jpg

Last edited:

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    First set of test loads when great and I pumped out some more for further testing.

124gr CPRN 9mm (Xtreme) - CCI Primers - 4.1gr HP38 - OAL 1.15: My M&P Pro Series hated this round, but my wifes Shield loved it. Huge difference compared to Federal. Loaded 100 more for the wife to work to 15yards and then 25yards. Shes much happier with her pistol now and alot less recoil than factory rounds.
    Dont mind that she didn't spell "Shield" correctly, it was a long day of testing, lol.
    4G9VySSl.jpg

My M&P Pro definitely likes the 147 gr CPRN alot better. Currently testing a couple loads with HP38, but this one is the most promising:
    147gr CPRN (Xtreme) - CCI Primers - 3.7gr HP38 - OAL 1.150
    At 15 yards my gun just blew the center out of the target, was very pleased with this load.

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My new sets and can't wait to hit the range:
    124gr CPRN - 4.1gr HP38 - CCI Primers - OAL 1.150": Wifes loads, shooting to verify previous data.
    3 Set of 147gr CPRN - 3.5, 3.6, 3.7gr HP38 - CCI Primers - OAL 1.150": All for testing with the M&P Pro.
    240gr XTP (Hornady) - 18.4, 19.0, 19.6 VV N110 - Winchester Standard/Magnum Large primers - OAL 1.600": Henry Big Boy 44 mag, already shot 5 of each at 50yards. Good groups on all but the 19.6gr had 4 rounds make a four leaf clover. Loaded another 100 of these last night.

3iSaeMDl.jpg

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Can't wait to start doing some .308 and .30-30 but I'm not touching anything til I get 2 more toolheads. I have the 9mm and .44mag too perfect right now and just don't want to cause any issues down the road trying to reset all my dies. The wait will suck, but the end results will be better IMO.

Top Bottom