My adventures in reloading are about to begin...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So finally purchased the first part of my reloading setup, Lyman Turbo 2200 w/ treated corncob media. Hopefully selling my Sig Tuesday and then will be purchasing rest of my stuff later this week. Definitely going Dillon just haven't decided on 550 or 650.

Running my .44mag brass through now and plan on loading them all back up with my personal favorite 240gr XTP Hornady bullets so I'll have a nice stock of deer hunting rounds for my Henry.

J8pLyHfl.jpg

37aFFfBl.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Have fun! I have the same tumbler. It works good for me and the drain is a nice feature.

My nephew in TN picked this up: For sale or trade a dillon rl550b press currently set up for 45. Also have the dies and conversion kits for 40 and 357sig, 2 extra tool heads plus stands, dillon cv500 vibratory brass cleaner, media separator, extra powder mechanism, strong arm mounts, primer flip tray, spare parts kit, caliper. Also including used brass for both 40 and 45, about a 1000 bullets in 40, 1000 in 45 half 185gn hp the other 230g rn, about 20 storage containers for 45 ammo, 1 box small and 1 box large pistol primers 1000 each.

It was listed for $800. Not sure if he gave full price or not.

I load single stage on a Rockchucker...:)

Last edited:

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ya the progressive is gonna be for reloading .223 and 9mm mainly for 3gun / USPSA and my .44 mag for deer hunting. But I plan on buying a single stage or a manual indexing turret press for reloading my .308 for long range comps

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Its addicting I say! I started about 2 years ago at the height of the craziness. I started on a Lee classic turret and just now went progressive with a lee pro 1000. I'm jealous of you jumping right into a Dillon!
    All I can say is that progressives can really burn thru your components fast so buy lots!

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I purchased a 550b and enjoy it tremendously. Having a lot of fun loading 45acp and 38 spl. Will be loading 450 bushmaster soon.;)

Ordered my Dillon 550b last night will a bunch of accessories and dies / conversion kits for 9mm, 44mag, and .308 win. Will get .223 dies when I get a case trimmer.

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Its addicting I say! I started about 2 years ago at the height of the craziness. I started on a Lee classic turret and just now went progressive with a lee pro 1000. I'm jealous of you jumping right into a Dillon!
    All I can say is that progressives can really burn thru your components fast so buy lots!

Only reason I jumped into a Dillon was cause I sold my Sig the other day for $1k so I had the money to do it. Otherwise the wife would have cut my nuts off and sold those for me to be able to have the money to buy one. Plus I had a good week of 20hrs of overtime that I put towards it too.

We have been married for 10years almost and she has known from day one I live buy the "Buy once, Cry once" motto. I dont buy cheapo **** with bad reviews, I dont buy stuff I know I will want to just upgrade immediately, and in no way could I pass up the Dillon warranty / customer service.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The 550 is a great press, I sold my 650 simply because with the number of calibers I load the change over was a pain. When I was shooting a ton of 38 Super in competition it was great but don't need that volume now. I currently run two 550s, one set up for small primers and one for large...simplifies things plus they look good in the man cave!

lair5_zpsb1e8f04d.jpg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Get ready to literally blow bags of money and time down range!

Its fun though.

Recently picked back up on fishing in order to save some money. Kids and college debt can really put a hole in bank.

arctodus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2014
    crown point
    hi reloaders i have a hornady classic kit just received as a gift. safety bonus from work,have everything i need for .308 have the gs-1500 scale is it good quality?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    You need more brass...more bullets too...and more primers...powder...heck, you only got a day's worth of reloading in that pic :laugh:

In all seriousness you are on your way. Break the "man" rules and read the instructions, go slow and careful to start and remember when reloading distractions are your enemy. Have fun!

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    These have been taunting me for 2 days now. Can't wait til Wednesday when press comes in. But two bags of 9mm bullets are supposed to be here tomorrw and will just make that last day of waiting even worse.

IDkDGYHl.jpg

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well got the press set up today. Did some reading, picked up some HP38 and after a long setup and trial/error for die adjustments, I ended up with a couple sets of rounds ranging from 3.9gr to 4.1gr with a 124gr RN on top.

Load Data:
    - Xtremebullets 124gr Plated RN
    - Hodgdon HP38 3.9-4.1gr in sets of 20 rounds\
    - CCI 500
    - OAL = 1.150
    - Light Taper Crimp (was trying to get around 0.002-0.003 on my calipers, but wasn't super exact everytime)

eJvLaeZl.jpg

FT9Ozful.jpg

Last edited:

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    One issue i did have was a variance in my finished OAL. Every 10 of so I would check 3 rounds for OAL, shooting for 1.150, but would end up with some from 1.1455 to 1.1535. Can't figure out what was causing the issue. All of my dies were tight and when I started noticing the issue I was purposely pausing at the end of each stroke to ensure I wasn't cutting part of the stroke out, and still had same results.

Top Bottom