• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    You write a rude paragraph and now claim you were just asking for imformation..yeah ok:rolleyes:

Dude! Put some diaper rash ointment on that sore butt and move on! Can you answer any of the questions that I have asked? I'm not going to apologize to you for asking what a 9mm pistol that weighs 5 pounds is good for.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Dude! Put some diaper rash ointment on that sore butt and move on! Can you answer any of the questions that I have asked? I'm not going to apologize to you for asking what a 9mm pistol that weighs 5 pounds is good for.

Its good for shooting :ar15:

Why does it have to be good for a purpose? Some poeple like to have guns, just because they can. I built a 9mm AR just for the heck of it. And I think its a ton of fun to shoot. Now once I get my stamp back, it'll be an SBR. But until then, I'd like to be able to shoot it so I built it as a pistol.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    And to the OP, I am genuinely interested in what you can do with it. I guess my main question is, if it's a stepping stone to an SBR, why not just start with an SBR? I've never had either, so my interest is real.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    And to the OP, I am genuinely interested in what you can do with it. I guess my main question is, if it's a stepping stone to an SBR, why not just start with an SBR? I've never had either, so my interest is real.

Read up on the NFA laws first. If you wanted to start as an SBR. You'd have to build the lower, get it engraved, and wait for the stamp to come back. Right now its about 6 months. Once the stamp came back then you could get the upper and put it on the gun. Until then, it just has to sit there.

If you build it as a pistol, you can build the entire thing now and be able to shoot it. And then when you get the stamp back, its just changing out the buffer tube and adding a buttstock.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Read up on the NFA laws first. If you wanted to start as an SBR. You'd have to build the lower, get it engraved, and wait for the stamp to come back. Right now its about 6 months. Once the stamp came back then you could get the upper and put it on the gun. Until then, it just has to sit there.

If you build it as a pistol, you can build the entire thing now and be able to shoot it. And then when you get the stamp back, its just changing out the buffer tube and adding a buttstock.

THANK YOU!!!!! This is EXACTLY the information I was trying to extract. I asked the questions here because I thought it would be easier than reading through NFA law books!

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    So my next question is, if adding a stock would make it an SBR, how long of a barrel can you put on it and still be considered a pistol? Can you put a 10.5" or 12" barrel on it without a stock and still be considered a "pistol"?

Yes, you can put a 10.5" or 12" barrel on it and it would still be considered a pistol. I believe Indiana does have a limit on overall length at 26", but I am not positive on that.

I must admit I have been real curious about this the last few days. I was looking at other pictures of AR pistols around the web and seen what looked like 5.56/.223. Does the same rule apply to them about the stock making it an SBR even though it's chambered with a rifle cartridge?

AR's chambered in rifle cartridges can be built into AR pistols as well. The key is that if the barrel is less than 16" you can't have a stock. You also can't add a vertical foregrip to an AR pistol or it becomes an AOW. Not all states allow Pistol AR's. Check out AR15.com as they have a whole section devoted to AR Pistols.

Also there were numerous AR pistols I seen without any type of buffer tube at all, they had some sort of plug in the back of the lower. How does that work?

.22 AR pistols don't need a buffer tube since the bolt/carrier assembly doesn't actually protrude into the buffer tube. RRA has also developed a piston driven AR that doesn't need a buffer tube either. There are some 9mm buffers/tubes that are much shorter as well.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    AR's chambered in rifle cartridges can be built into AR pistols as well. The key is that if the barrel is less than 16" you can't have a stock. You also can't add a vertical foregrip to an AR pistol or it becomes an AOW. Not all states allow Pistol AR's. Check out AR15.com as they have a whole section devoted to AR Pistols.

Just want to emphasize a few of these points. I'm pretty sure you can't have a buffer tube that'll allow a stock to be put on (Intent to build) and it could never have had a buffer tube that allowed a stock to be put on. So you can't build a pistol after the lower has been built as a rifle. :dunno:

Also, Vertical foregrip is a big no no however the ATF has said that the Magpul AFG is ok on a pistol. Reference letter - https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...YTg1MC00NzVhLWI3NmMtZDRiNTMzNzdhMzUx&hl=en_US

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm not going to apologize to you for asking what a 9mm pistol that weighs 5 pounds is good for.

Your original questions are actually very good, and most people would tend to agree that there is really no GOOD useful purpose to a 9mm AR pistol, other than fun.

Throw the stock, silencer, and optic on, and now you get into a bit of a grey area. You now theoretically have a pretty good HD weapon, but are you really going to trust your life to a platform as unreliable as a 9mm SBR? I'm not...but if I had to, it would be running glock mags on DD's lower as most extended 9mm mags also tend to be very unreliable.

The addition of 5.56 and 300blk makes things even murkier. Why go 9mm over the others if you're facing multiple home invaders with body armor? Why do you think the MP5 is being phased out?

I think the 9mm silenced SBR is a cool idea, I've even tossed around the idea of building one MANY times, and I think it would be a BLAST to shoot. But when it comes down to it, the real reason to get one is purely just fun, as there are other options that are much better in terms of ballistics and reliability.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Throw the stock, silencer, and optic on, and now you get into a bit of a grey area. You now theoretically have a pretty good HD weapon, but are you really going to trust your life to a platform as unreliable as a 9mm SBR? I'm not...but if I had to, it would be running glock mags on DD's lower as most extended 9mm mags also tend to be very unreliable.

:scratch:

:dunno:

What makes it unreliable?

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Name one really reliable 9mm AR? Colt, but even their mags have problems and are expensive...but then you are going to trust RRA, Oly, spikes, LWD? All have had many well documented issues.

Bottom line is that none are nearly as reliable/prictical as a BCM, Noveske, Colt, DD MK18. Nor do they offer the advantages that 5.56 offers over 9mm. I'm not saying the 9mm AR doesnt have its place (training, range, etc), but for me, I will not bet my life on it and keep it next to my night stand.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Name one really reliable 9mm AR? Colt, but even their mags have problems and are expensive...but then you are going to trust RRA, Oly, spikes, LWD? All have had many well documented issues.

Bottom line is that none are nearly as reliable/prictical as a BCM, Noveske, Colt, DD MK18. Nor do they offer the advantages that 5.56 offers over 9mm. I'm not saying the 9mm AR doesnt have its place (training, range, etc), but for me, I will not bet my life on it and keep it next to my night stand.

9MM is very effective. Its light and its been around for a very long time. Yes the mags might have some issues but so do PMAGS. Nothing is perfect

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

Any AR that just comes off the line may or may not have problems. I built a 9mm AR that has been just as reliable so far as my LMT in 5.56

There are reasons that make a gun unreliable and its not the caliber. It depends how its built, and you can fine tune it to be very reliable. Just because in your experience one hasn't ran perfectly doesn't mean ALL 9mm SBRs are unreliable. :twocents:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Any AR that just comes off the line may or may not have problems. I built a 9mm AR that has been just as reliable so far as my LMT in 5.56

There are reasons that make a gun unreliable and its not the caliber. It depends how its built, and you can fine tune it to be very reliable. Just because in your experience one hasn't ran perfectly doesn't mean ALL 9mm SBRs are unreliable. :twocents:

Like some .22s are unreliable because the round is dirty. I have a ruger MK2 that Ive shot for years and only cleaned once holds sub MOA groups and never jams

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    If anybody is actually still interested in the build.......:stickpoke:

I ordered the CMMG ramped 9mm bolt assembly from JSE Surplus.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Handgun rounds in general are not exactly "effective", especially compared to 5.56 and ESPECIALLY against armor.

The guy who everyone badgered was asking the right questions (why X vs Y). (Edit: This is what I was pointing out.)

You can't compare black pmags to any extended 9mm mags (glock aside), it's like comparing Colt vs DPMS. Are there going to be some dpms (not picking on them exclusively) that will run perfectly their entire life? Yes. Will they fail at a MUCH higher rate than a Colt/DD/BCM/Etc? Yes. Same principle.

And I'm not saying that it is the round that makes gun unreliable, but the AR platform was not built for the 9mm round either. It's not had the years of production and fine tuning that a standard AR has, so naturally there will be a lot more problems.

Top Bottom