• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I did some shooting today with one of my rifles. After I finished with the rifle I thought I would put the 36 through a little run. It failed me.

Every time I fired the slide would stop in the open position like I had ran out of shells. Fire hit the slide release fire hit the slide release. It did that through two mags.

I don't know what is wrong with it. Any of you have any ideas? Till I get the 36 fixed I will be using the 30.

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    the spring that gives the slide release tension should be pressing down on the slide release, if it is pushing it upwards it will happen exactly as you said.

bob_dolemite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    You are right handed and you're riding the slide stop with the base of your support hand thumb. The slide locks back because you're pressing up on the slide stop lever because of the recoil. Shoot one handed or offhand and see if it continues. You may have to adjust your grip. That's my call anyway.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Sorry about that guys. Yes It is a Glock 36. Then a S&W doesn't have a slide. Any way I am sorry for my mistake. I will try to give more information in the future.

No I haven't taken it apart in a while. It worked fine three weeks ago.

Last edited:

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    It would be kinda awkward if I shouted "1911!" and started cackling maniacally, right? :D

Seriously, I think post #4 is worth investigating.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Either incorrectly installed slide stop or thumbs riding and extended slide stop

If the spring on it didn't go under the pin, you will experience the slide locking back.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Sorry about the guys. Yes It is a Glock 36. Then a S&W doesn't have a slide. Any way I am sorry for my mistake. I will try to give more information in the future.

No worries, I was just teasing you. But I did think of the Smith when I read the title. :yesway:

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    All guns can fail, revolvers or semis, it's just a lot rarer with a Glock. I have two 36's, one is a Glock and the other is a S&W. I had a Ruger sp101 fail me years ago.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I took it apart to see if it was the spring being in the wrong place. It was the spring but it came of the little frame of the slide release. I put the old one back on. About a year ago or so when it was new I put an extended slide release on it. It worked fine till today. I will order a new one. Any one else have one of these brake, well come apart?

Thanks for all the information. I would say that is why we need to keep checking our guns out. To make sure they work. This tells me I need to check my carry gun more often. That would have been real bad if I had tried to use it in an emergency.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I did some shooting today with one of my rifles. After I finished with the rifle I thought I would put the 36 through a little run. It failed me.

Every time I fired the slide would stop in the open position like I had ran out of shells. Fire hit the slide release fire hit the slide release. It did that through two mags.

I don't know what is wrong with it. Any of you have any ideas? Till I get the 36 fixed I will be using the 30.

Glock. Perfection.... :D

Apparently not.

Top Bottom