My 3 Hour Tour...of 5 Indiana Gun Shops!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kharb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Granger
    So I was in Ft Wayne today for business and got done early. I decided while I was eating lunch to make the best of my road trip and visit some gun shops. I came to realize that there were several around and thought I'd make a tour of them. Below are my "reviews", more of thoughts, about my visits.

First stop, 21st Century in Bluffton: Great place, good size, good selection, good prices. Lots of reloading supplies. I took advantage of their 9mm ammo in-store deal going on which was, surprisingly, the only thing I bought today. I spent at least 45 minutes shooting the $#!t with Jahred. Really nice guy. I suggest everyone stop in if in the area and check out this place. Not to spoil the rest of my post, but this was my favorite shop of the day.

Next stop, Gander Mountain: I knew this place sucked but had to stop just to see what they had. I verified it, just in case you didn't believe everyone else, they are WAY overpriced. They also give HORRIBLE advice, listening to the counter guys made me cringe and just walk out. Nothing special here. Avoid it unless they have good ammo sales or you have a gift card you have to burn.

Third stop, Tomlinson's in Churubusco: Nice store, REALLY friendly guy there but didn't catch his name. Was a hoot about how they advertise (word of mouth only, big budget, ha!). Firearm selection was a little limited compared to others and they definitely focus on long guns. LOTS of reloading supplies. Prices are competitive but not the best I've seen. Would definitely stop in again to browse but more so to talk with the guys there as they all seemed really friendly from my observations.

Fourth port of call was ZX guns in Goshen: First impression, am I in the right place? Odd entrance. Next impression, is this a closet? I nearly tripped over another customer twice trying to get by him in the narrow "aisle". It's a tiny shop but they have a lot crammed in there. Prices were reasonable but maybe a little high, selection was good but somewhat limited. Focus seems to be on pistols and accessories. Not a lot in the way of ammo or reloading from what I saw. Both guys working the store were very deep in conversation with "locals", so much so as to barely notice I was there so I was in and out. I know these guys go to shows and I have bought from them before at the 1500 where I know they will bargain. I suggest checking them out at the shows but no big reason to visit the shop unless you live in Goshen and just want somebody to talk to.

Final stop, Midwest in Elkhart: I've been to this store MANY times as this is my normal range. I was surprised to not recognize anyone working there when I walked in. The place was extremely busy, as is normal for both Midwest's, but it was a little bit of a shock for a Wednesday night. Selection is pretty good at this store, though the Mishawaka store is much better because of its size. Pricing is mediocre but I know they can bargain. They sold 4 pistols while I was in there (though I think 2 people were "delayed"). Lots of accessories, limited but some used guns. Range is the selling point here and I recommend it.

Just my opinions on my visits today. YMMV. I love visiting new gun shops (and familar ones too)! All in all it was a good day and I was pretty impressed with my self control.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I agree about ZXGuns, nice but way too small but competitive pricing.

As for Midwest.... I have bought all but one of my guns from them and have gave them over $4000 in just the last 6 months. Well, I visited the Mishawaka store last night with $2,300 to get rid of. They weren't busy at all and only one customer was being tended to. I counted 5 employees that were just walking around mostly chatting with each other. I made 4 very slow laps around the store, checking out the various guns and not one single worker came over to ask if I needed any help. Finally I just got fed up and left and spent the money on a new Imac computer at the Apple store down the road.

Don't know if I'll ever go back to Midwest again. Not good service especially to a regular customer that normally buys a gun every visit.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah, ZX is mainly focused on doing the gun show thing. My most recent purchase was through them at the last Fort Wayne show. Seemed like pretty nice guys, and their prices were pretty competitive.

I need to drive down to Bluffton for sure...maybe when I'm less broke.

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    Fourth port of call was ZX guns in Goshen: ...Not a lot in the way of ammo or reloading from what I saw. ...I suggest checking them out at the shows but no big reason to visit the shop unless you live in Goshen and just want somebody to talk to.

Didn't think they had any reloading stuff. You forgot to check Rocket Guns while in Goshen.:twocents:

kharb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Granger
    I didn't know about Rangers Supply or Rocket Guns. I would've hit them up. I just did a quick Internet search and checked the Local Gun Shops thread.

Michld01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the review! Midwest and 21st are the some of the best IMO.

On a side note, the Midwest range in Elkhart has full-autos for rent!!! :rockwoot::ar15:

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for the reviews. I'll be taking a tour of the 21st Century store just as soon as my GSSF card gets here! Hello Blue Label Glocks :rockwoot:

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Thanks for the review. I live within 30 minutes of 21st Century. Bought several guns there and have always been very happy with their service. They are quite competitive as well.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I like Bruce. I got to know him years ago from my Quail Unlimited days when he was doing paintings for the org. I even have one of his paintings on the wall in my family room. He wasn't there the day I went so I didn't get a chance to talk to him.

Cameron is the guy I usually do business with but he was busy with another customer. He was the only one in the entire store that took the time to say hello and asked where I've been hiding lately.

Top Bottom