• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    i know it is but how is the 458 legal for deer in indiana? I WANT ONE!:): what kind of range/accuracy do you get with that?

Indiana allows rifles for deer if the empty brass is between 1.16" and 1.625" and the bullet diameter is .357" or greater. The .458 SOCOM's brass is 1.575" and the bullet diameter is .458", so it's good to go. :)

My rifle will easily shoot sub-MOA groups at 100 yards. As far as range, with a 300-grain bullet, you are looking at a 12" drop at 200 yards on a 100-yard zero.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    WOW. what a place to hunt where you score bucks like those two in back to back years.

I am very grateful for that spot. I tell you what makes it so great. It is just outside of city limits, and the property was extensively timbered years ago and is so overgrown with briars, etc. that you could never hunt from the ground and see anything. Many does call that home, and it shows in the number of bucks circling and entering that property.

My tree is situated between the head of a steep draw and a ridge saddle -- both excellent funnels to bring the majority of the deer past my tree. I am also very fortunate in the fact that the landowner wants no one else in there, and turns down repeated requests for hunting permission from others on an annual basis.

I climbed that tree for the first time on opening morning of the 2009 firearms season, and took my buck which grossed 150 0/8" and netted 144 5/8" at 7:35 AM. I returned on opening day of the 2010 firearms season and took this buck that will gross in the 160's and net in the 150's at 9:45 AM. So, I have less than four hours total combined time in that tree to kill both bucks. You can bet that I'll stay out of there until opening day 2011. :D

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I just compared your 2009 buck and your 2010 buck and those deer HAVE to be brothers. It looks like the exact same deer except this years looks a year older! Two whoppers for sure congratulations. Also congratulations on your 4 does for the year.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I just compared your 2009 buck and your 2010 buck and those deer HAVE to be brothers. It looks like the exact same deer except this years looks a year older! Two whoppers for sure congratulations. Also congratulations on your 4 does for the year.

I was thinking either brothers or father/son, depending on how old this year's buck turns out to be. I've pulled its incisor teeth and plan to send them off for aging. I figure he's at least 5 1/2 years old. I never had last year's buck tested, but figured him at 4 1/2.

Round Ball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Northern Ind.
    Great buck what did he dress out at weight wise? I got a 9 pointer on 11/10/2010 dressed out at 172 with a bow. Sure is a good feeling to get the meat in the freezer. congrats again great buck

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Great buck what did he dress out at weight wise? I got a 9 pointer on 11/10/2010 dressed out at 172 with a bow. Sure is a good feeling to get the meat in the freezer. congrats again great buck

The processor's shop has a set of deer scales, but there were so many deer piled up in front of the door on opening morning that I didn't even bother asking to use them. From looking at his neck, shoulders, and front leg in the photo, you can tell he was eating well. :):

Top Bottom