• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    So I want to try my hand at muzzleloader this deer season. My neighbor is letting me borrow his CVA Wolf. He doesn't know the first thing nor do I. Anyone shot this blackpowder gun to point me in the direction of the correct combination to make a good shot. I had to lean the crap out of it and the plug almost dint come out so I am ready to load and fire.

:popcorn:

PS please no option on the muzzleloader itself it ain't mine so I don't want to debate that just ammo combinations

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Feb 12, 2012
    I helped my buddy with his CVA Wolf yesterday. He is using 70gr. of Blackhorn 209 with 250gr. Hornady SST and Winchester primers. This load has been very accurate.

Make sure that hole flashhole in the breechplug is completely open.

I am using a CVA Accura and with 100gr pellets (2 50 gr) Winchester Primers and a 250 TC shockwave or Hornaday XTP (.44 cal bullets with a .50 sabbot, comes as a package deal) I am getting clover leafs at 100yrds. The wolf is a great little gun and is super accurate. Plus if you are hunting in brush, the barrel is a tad shorter than some which makes it easier to point (at least for me). Make sure to buy a bullet starter, some anti-lock grease for the breech plug, and swabs for the barrel. These will last if you take the time to clean them. You should swap after every 3-5 shots is my experience.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Powder or pellets, try each if you want for best accuracy. With loose powder, different brands of your choice, try 70 - 100 grains and see what shoots best. Sabots, or whatever round you choose, just find what the guns likes.
    I personally shoot Pyrodex Select powder in two guns and Pyrodex pellets in one. Hornday 350 gr XTP sabots. My traditional Plains Rifle shoots the massive Buffalo Bullets, solid lead hollow point conical. I've known guys to shoot these in-line muzzleloading also. Punch a massive hole in the deer.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    So I went dunhams picked some Remington primers 777 pellets and some 300 gram hornady sabots. WOW muzzleloader a r freakin SWEEEEET!!! I wish I would shot one a long time ago. Coolest thing I have shot in a while. Made 2 shots within an inch of each other at about 55 yards. It is like shooting a cannon. Lol. I luv it. I think I have found a new niche of the firearm world I luv. My wife is super excited lol!!!

jrose361

Plinker
    Nov 5, 2011
    i have a cva wolf and took a deer last week in gun season. like shooting it more the a shotgun

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Speaking of deer and the wonderful state of Indiana. I have to buy a new tag for Saturday don't I? Didn't take one with the shotgun this year. That tag is no good or is it good for muzzleloader now?

inlineman

Marksman
    Apr 16, 2012
    I started years ago shooting flintlocks and percussion long rifles and in the past few years havent lost the passion for muzzleloading I now have probably 6 or 7 handguns and 3 inline rifles dont have any flints or percussion anymore but still enjoy shooting them more than modern guns.My favorite deer season is about to open and I am pumped but if I was tou I would try the powerbelts they are easier to load and in my inlines more accurate and more shots between cleaning. I got 13 shots without cleaning and accuracy was there for 12 shots.

Lemmitt

Plinker
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    245 grain shockwave round and two 50 grain powder pellets is what I shoot out of my cva optima....shot a doe at 120yds dead on during gun season

Lucky

Plinker
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I have not been messing w/muzzleloaders in a good while. Got a couple out and noticed the nipple was getting flared out on one of them and was not working well. So, i went to the store to get one and they we nowhere to be found. The guy at the gun store said "man that's old school" . Guess I have been outta class to long.

Corbinator

Plinker
    Dec 6, 2012
    Don't neglect the high temperature grease on the threads of the nipple and the breach plug. This will ensure easier cleanup when you are done. Also fire at least 1 primer through the gun after each shot and before reloading to ensure the nipple is free of debris.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have not been messing w/muzzleloaders in a good while. Got a couple out and noticed the nipple was getting flared out on one of them and was not working well. So, i went to the store to get one and they we nowhere to be found. The guy at the gun store said "man that's old school" . Guess I have been outta class to long.

I still run a side hammer but changed out my #11 nipple to Musket Cap type. More consistent with today's BP substitutes (in my gun).

Aint nuthin' wrong going old school :)

Top Bottom