• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I've been playing with different types of rests for use with my heavy barreled Savage .22.

Even with a bipod and the heavy barrel, I still get a bit of jump, I would say about 1/4" to 1/2" at 50 yards.

I'd like to eliminate this.

The way I shoot is to let the front support (sandbag, bipod, etc) do the front supporting and use either a sock, fist or nothing in the rear.

Any which way, it jumps a bit.

I'm not a fan of porting or compensating.

I've thought about piling sandbags onto the front, but am trying to figure out how to do this without touching the barrel.

I could use help from benchrest shooters here.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Eddie

Master
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Intended Purpose?

May I ask exactly what it is that you are trying to accomplish? Why don't you want the barrel to move at all? Is your goal not to aim between shots?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I load the bipod.

I am only trying to get the thing precisely sighted in, and eliminate as many factors as I can.

Thanks,

Josh <><

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    If the butt of the rifle is lower than the bipod as in shooting up even slightly. When the round goes off it will cause a muzzle jump. If the butt of the rifle is higher than the barrel when the round goes off it will try to push the bipod down thus no jump.
    This is one reason why BR shootershave a certain height that they put their targets and even put a level on their barrels before the match begins. Their heavier rifles make a difference as well.

That being said even if your rifle is perfectly sighted in today or this minute by the time you take your next shot a slight wind can change it. This is why BR shooters have flags or wind meters posted at different intervals from the bench to the target. A slight amount of wind at the target line may not even be felt at the firing line, yet have an effect on bullet POI.

If this is what you are attempting to do then I would recomend attending a BR match and talk with the guys that do this. Most are very friendly and will help you any way they can. I have a friend that travels all over the country for BR matches. He is an older guy and this is about the only competitive shooting sport he can participate in now days. Interesting sport, a lot of high dollar stuff goes into it but there is still skill more knowledge than physical skill though.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Do you know of any BR shooting near Wabash? I have trouble traveling because of my job.

Thanks!

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hi All,

Looks like the angle at which I'm shooting is the main problem, mostly off the bipod.

Using sand bags seems to be about the same, but the effect is not as pronounced.

What I'm having trouble doing is finding a way to give myself a good cone in which to shoot - I can plunk them downrange on a target I set up, no problem. But if a target is, say, 15* either way, or up, or down, that's when problems start, at least at longer range. If I have to force the muzzle down, the shot will go high as my body goes slack and back to NPOA. Same if it's high - the shot will appear to go low.

I don't always have time or room to move my entire body to adjust NPOA (think squirrel hunting, long range).

This is where I would need the varmint hunters to weigh in. The ones who don't use benches!

Thanks,

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

Below is the definition of the problem, better than I could word it. What I need to figure out is the solution, if there is one...

Josh Smith said:
    xxx said:
    when not set up with proper NPA even the small recoil of the .22 will make the cross-hairs 'jump' off of the poa. (for me it is up and to the right) Adjusting your position and obtaining a good solid npa position eliminates this.
    I can even see the cross-hairs jump when dry-firing a centerfire if a solid npa position is not employed.

THIS!!!!!

Thank you. This is what I've been trying to get at.

Here's the deal: I want a cone in which I can be accurate - say 15 degrees on either side. I have no problem holding at NPoA when set up in controlled conditions - but if a squirrel were to go running and I should need to shift out of NPoA, well, I tend to shoot up and right a bit. I do not like this at all.

Maybe I'm trying to achieve something that cannot be done. But I'd like to think that, with work, I can at least improve upon it.

In other words, I need to be able to take a shot from a less-than-optimum body position if I don't have the time or room to move to NPoA.

Thanks!

Josh <><

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh <><

triton54

Plinker
    Sep 17, 2009
    NE
    U could add some lead to the barrel channel of your stock. Just make sure the lead does not contact your barrel anywhere

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hi Triton,

I was thinking about that.

It's still a hunting rifle though, and as such, I want to keep weight down. It's at about 10lbs right now, and that's near my limit for extended stays in the woods.

Josh <><

Top Bottom