• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That's an interesting point, although just because someone screams "Aloha Snackbar" before they slam a plane into a building, I don't take that to prove that they did it for religious reasons. It may seem obvious to us, and it probably seems obvious to them, but one thing I've learned is that many of us do things that we think we know the reasons for, but often we did that thing for a reason entirely different, and often unrealized at the time, if ever.

I tend towards the practical. If someone rants about killing infidels for Allah, then gives their life by suicide bombing in the name of Allah, I tend to take them at their word. It was certainly real for them, and the dead innocents are certainly real to me. Any talk about hidden reasons or meaning is so much abstract vapor.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, take away religion and those same people wouldn't be violent?
    I doubt it.

Religion is an excuse to them. Not a cause.
    Remove religion, and they'd be killing you for another reason.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I tend towards the practical. If someone rants about killing infidels for Allah, then gives their life by suicide bombing in the name of Allah, I tend to take them at their word. It was certainly real for them, and the dead innocents are certainly real to me. Any talk about hidden reasons or meaning is so much abstract vapor.

I think it's human nature to tend towards the practical, although I might describe it as tending toward the most visible or discernable. The most visible or discernable things are things that we're familiar with and seem to be things that we can deal with and solve in a practical way. It's human nature to think that way, since most problems that we deal with fall into that category, and so, dealing with problems that way will allow us to solve most of the problems that we face.

But, doing things like discovering the germ theory of disease and learning how to cure and prevent diseases with antibiotics and vaccines was only done by people who had a knack and a drive to delve into those abstract vapors.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I think it's human nature to tend towards the practical, although I might describe it as tending toward the most visible or discernable. The most visible or discernable things are things that we're familiar with and seem to be things that we can deal with and solve in a practical way. It's human nature to think that way, since most problems that we deal with fall into that category, and so, dealing with problems that way will allow us to solve most of the problems that we face.

But, doing things like discovering the germ theory of disease and learning how to cure and prevent diseases with antibiotics and vaccines was only done by people who had a knack and a drive to delve into those abstract vapors.

No doubt, I appreciate the valiant efforts of our scientific community in the medical field. I don't think that it is directly comparable to figuring out human behavior. It's great if there are people out there who are trying to figure out the "why" of terrorism. Seems readily apparent to me, but maybe I am too much of a realist. In the meantime, security and concern for our national interests is still badly needed. To use your medical example.....the only ways that we have to fight cancer are chemo and radiation, which mildly put....suck. But until greater minds find a cure, we've gotta use what we've got.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I will never put anyone on ignore. Not even internet tough guys with their hard looks and niche calibers.

Do you know what the word "irony" means?

15907495-blue-sea-fisherman-in-trolling-boat-in-action-with-downrigger-and-rod-Stock-Photo.jpg

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    So, take away religion and those same people wouldn't be violent?
    I doubt it.

Religion is an excuse to them. Not a cause.
    Remove religion, and they'd be killing you for another reason.

Yep, it's about power, land and resources... Religion is just a unifier and an excuse.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I admit, I don't know many ninjas, but when did patent leather oxfords become the standard issue footwear?

only "ninjas trying to climb the corporate ladder" wear oxfords!

man if churchmouse was involved in this thread, I'd think somebody was wanting a free lunch!

hell next time im in indy, im going to argue with him! I love a good cheeseburger!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    only "ninjas trying to climb the corporate ladder" wear oxfords!

man if churchmouse was involved in this thread, I'd think somebody was wanting a free lunch!

hell next time im in indy, im going to argue with him! I love a good cheeseburger!

Churchmouse is watching...........:popcorn:

Next time you are in the area let me know.....we can shout and scream at each other then go get a "C" Burger.....:)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    or your in Evansville! gerst haus has awesome burgers!

You go to Gerst Haus for burgers? You ordering that off the children's menu? Is it next to the chicken strips?:rolleyes:

Broaden your cultural horizons, try the schnitzel, the spaetzle, the sauerbraten...;)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    You go to Gerst Haus for burgers? You ordering that off the children's menu? Is it next to the chicken strips?:rolleyes:

Broaden your cultural horizons, try the schnitzel, the spaetzle, the sauerbraten...;)

I refuse to be mocked sir! as a 1/4 german I will not tolerate your berating of me over my menu choices! ok their fry's SUCK!!!!! but I have to say the burgers are awesome, and everytime I look at other things on the menu, I always find my eyes drifting to the burgers, I tell everyone about their burgers...another place with a amazing burger is the lamasco tavern, although most times I eat at lamasco, im enjoying the breakfast burrito

.....did we have an argument.....cause if we did.....we might have to "churchmouse" it out over burgers!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not sure INGO could handle "churchmouse" as a verb.

A plethora of risky behaviors could be implicated.

"Hey, you wanna churchmouse tonight?"
    "Sure, but let me lead - last time I couldn't sit for a week."

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not sure INGO could handle "churchmouse" as a verb.

A plethora of risky behaviors could be implicated.

"Hey, you wanna churchmouse tonight?"
    "Sure, but let me lead - last time I couldn't sit for a week."

You could be right, but it might work if we anacronymed it.

"He was CM'd and didn't walk right for three days."

"The last time we CM'd a guy Denny came and arrested us."

"Never try CMing without adult supervision."

"If you take a picture of being CM'd and post it on the internet, the FBI WILL come to your house and take your computer."

Whataya think?

Doug

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If your CM lasts for more than 4 hours, seek medical assistance.

If your mom catches you CMing, dinner will be awkward for awhile.

When you CM, make sure you have a safe word and that your partner knows it.

CMing is a great way to meet new and interesting people.

Yeah, this might turn into a thing.

Top Bottom