• ...and so much more!
  • JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Any luck, yet?

I went out yesterday and JUST missed a whole ton of them. I kept finding spots where there was still a nub of mushroom in the ground where they had been picked.

It really made me sad, and frustrated. This is only my second year actually trying to pursue them, and it really makes me wish that I had some private land to go looking for them on. Since my work spills over into all days of the week, I just can't seem to beat the crowd when it comes to getting out there and grabbing them. *sigh*

On another note - at least it's gorgeous out! The dog is happy!

20130502_180204_zps0c3772c3.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Beautifull Dog!

I haven't found any. My brother found 6 the first time out. He gave them to our Grandmother for letting us hunt on her property. The second time out my niece found a huge yellow sponge and a hand full of greys. I think they ended up with about a dozen total.

I can't see the darn things. I'll step on them before I see them. I didn't think to take any pics since I didn't find any. I think my brother took a couple. Maybe he will text them to me so I can post them.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Couple of parks here in Carmel with wild areas, might have a few. I'm not mobile enough yet, but getting there. Like to get a batch of morels, sometime. I have a big mushroom encyclopedia to look them up.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    I'm just here for the dog! :):

Those ears... :yesway:

:D :rockwoot:

What type of terrain is needed for these shrooms? Jokergirl I might have some private land we could check.

They seem to really grow under dead/dying Elm trees, but can also be found under apple and ash trees. From the few spots I've looked the last couple of years, if there's a lot of black walnut, they won't grow.

The season is pretty short and is usually over once it gets too hot. They like a lot of rain followed by a humid, hot period. LMK if you wanna go looking :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Black walnut (juglans nigra) kills or suppresses a lot of things. It releases a chemical called, for some unfathomable reason, "juglone" into the soil. I'm replacing all the black ones in my yard with regular ones (juglans regia), in large part because of this.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Black walnut (juglans nigra) kills or suppresses a lot of things. It releases a chemical called, for some unfathomable reason, "juglone" into the soil. I'm replacing all the black ones in my yard with regular ones (juglans regia), in large part because of this.

Yay! Someone else that actually knows this information! Most people don't seem to understand why they can never grow anything near their Black Walnut! Ours, thankfully, doesn't seem too aggressive in that aspect, but I've seen some that are horrendous!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

And no matter the variety of walnut tree it is - it won't play nice with evergreens or tomatoes. Not sure about citrus, but I'm guessing the walnut would win that battle, too.

Also, OP, why not train your dog to sniff out mushrooms? I mean, folks in Europe train pigs to sniff truffles (another fungus) - why has no one trained a dog to seek morels?

-J-

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    found 6 grays in madison county so they are perking up in the INDY area and most likely north.

If you have found where one ws picked go back to that exact spot.

I found a nice spot as a kid and picked a good dozen in about an area the size of a big table. I put my hat down on the ground to mark it and came back 24 hours later and there where more including one under the hat i placed on the ground. I know I did not miss that one. I think they can spring up in less than an hour when the conditions are correct.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I went on a morel hunt the other day and found tons of them! Unfortunately, there wasn't much left after the shotgun blast hit them. I don't understand how this is supposed to work. :( Maybe I'll try a .22lr next time.

Top Bottom