Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    <vent>

Over Christmas time, the line going to our ice maker gave out and got the basement all wet. (Shame on me for letting that cheap vinyl water line stay in the system for so long).

During the cold winter we just had, the main water line coming into the house pulled loose. It was only about 5 feet deep so, that was fun.

Then the other day, the water line to the water heater sprang a leak. Once again the basement is all wet, carpet pulled up, fans going, blah, blah, blah...

Then the drain from the down stairs toilet plugged up and water backed up around the wax ring of the toilet and ruined the floor in the bathroom...inpromptu remodel underway now.

Yep, ole Murph has got to be a plumber.

</vent>

(I hate plumbing too!)

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    I can appreciate that. Every time I have to sweat a joint in copper I end up looking like a crackhead with burnt hands and fingers since I don't do it enough to be good. Still need to finish out the spigot in the garage for my wife that I've got jerry rigged for now.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Today, Grandpa and I primed and ran the well pump at his cottage for the first time this year and we were thanked with a water fall from right at floor level under the toilet.

I didn't catch it until it had thoroughly wet the would be work area and the way leading to it in the dirt crawlspace... it will have to wait until next week.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    <vent>

Over Christmas time, the line going to our ice maker gave out and got the basement all wet. (Shame on me for letting that cheap vinyl water line stay in the system for so long).

During the cold winter we just had, the main water line coming into the house pulled loose. It was only about 5 feet deep so, that was fun.

Then the other day, the water line to the water heater sprang a leak. Once again the basement is all wet, carpet pulled up, fans going, blah, blah, blah...

Then the drain from the down stairs toilet plugged up and water backed up around the wax ring of the toilet and ruined the floor in the bathroom...inpromptu remodel underway now.

Yep, ole Murph has got to be a plumber.

</vent>

(I hate plumbing too!)

Top tip....never shake a plumbers hand.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    That reminds me, the faucet in our spare bathroom started to drip last winter and when I shut off the water to fix it, the shutoff looked like it was gonna need to be replaced, so I decided I wasn't gonna shut off the main for that kind of fix in the middle of winter (really I just didn't feel like messing with it and that was my rationalization). With it just being me and my wife, it's not been a big deal and it's been shut off for several months now. Guess I better on that, or think of another excuse to put it off longer.

I'm gonna try to find a better under-sink shutoff than the cheap things you get at the bigbox stores. I saw one once that had a ball valve in it and that looked like the way to go.

I did take apart the toilet in that bathroom a couple of years ago and replaced all the hardware, and when I got it back together and made that first test flush, I learned that my particular brand of toilet needed a special gasket between the tank and bowl. Most of the water in that first flush ran out all over the bathroom floor.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That reminds me, the faucet in our spare bathroom started to drip last winter and when I shut off the water to fix it, the shutoff looked like it was gonna need to be replaced, so I decided I wasn't gonna shut off the main for that kind of fix in the middle of winter (really I just didn't feel like messing with it and that was my rationalization). With it just being me and my wife, it's not been a big deal and it's been shut off for several months now. Guess I better on that, or think of another excuse to put it off longer.

I'm gonna try to find a better under-sink shutoff than the cheap things you get at the bigbox stores. I saw one once that had a ball valve in it and that looked like the way to go.

I did take apart the toilet in that bathroom a couple of years ago and replaced all the hardware, and when I got it back together and made that first test flush, I learned that my particular brand of toilet needed a special gasket between the tank and bowl. Most of the water in that first flush ran out all over the bathroom floor.

That's much, much better than the kind of water you get when the drain, downstream from your toilet is plugged and you start plunging the plunger. :puke:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Every time I do a plumbing project around the house, I always need to make numerous trips to Lowes to get the right parts for the job! I could buy the entire plumbing aisle and still need "something" I don't have! I even buy random fittings and parts and keep a good supply of stuff in my garage for emergency repairs, but still, I always have to make that trip to Lowes.:xmad:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Every time I do a plumbing project around the house, I always need to make numerous trips to Lowes to get the right parts for the job! I could buy the entire plumbing aisle and still need "something" I don't have! I even buy random fittings and parts and keep a good supply of stuff in my garage for emergency repairs, but still, I always have to make that trip to Lowes.:xmad:

An old timer told me a long time ago that almost every plumbing job you'll do will require a minimum of 3 trips back to the store. My experience has been, he's pretty much right. :laugh:

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Plumbing projects suck. My saving grace is the Ace hardware in our city. They have the most knowledgeable people working there. I don't even bother with Lowe's or Menard's. And they have an inventory of everything you could possibly need for home projects.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    An old timer told me a long time ago that almost every plumbing job you'll do will require a minimum of 3 trips back to the store. My experience has been, he's pretty much right. :laugh:

Or in my case a trip to immediate care to fix an splintered and infected finger. It was a simple pull the toilet and replace the wax ring. Things went terribly wrong from that point.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Just started to fix a leak in the bathroom faucet. Trying to get the valve stem out, I rounded off the corners of the cap. Figured why fight it, went and bought a new faucet and installed it today.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I look for an Angie's list "big deal" say 'plumber for an hour $59' then store it away for the inevitable break down. Do my own water softner install and maintenance. Next thing to go will be one or both water heaters. Does Angie work outside of big cities?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

Yeah, and when you go to the big box store, I love it when there's a thing that you only need one of, but it only comes in a pack of three. So, you buy the three-pack and put the other two away somewhere, thinking you'll have those for next time, but the next time you need one you can't find the two you put away, so you're stuck buying another three-pack. Then, when you're putting the two new one's away, THAT's when you find the other two, so now you have four.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I can appreciate that. Every time I have to sweat a joint in copper I end up looking like a crackhead with burnt hands and fingers since I don't do it enough to be good. Still need to finish out the spigot in the garage for my wife that I've got jerry rigged for now.

Part of the problem is the government mandated lead free soldier. The old school soldier was way easier to flow and I think lasted longer. The "hazard" of lead leaching into your water is way out of proportion to reality. In most older cities the main supply is solid lead pipe. Once the deposits it the water coat the pipe, the lead is completely sealed off.

Top Bottom