• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    MrColionNoir wants to know why his G19 malf'd at an HSP course.

Here are the details he gives on the gun in question.

Ammo: Aguila 124g
    Magazines: Factory Glock Magazines
    Modifications: 3.5 Ghost Disconnect
    Bought the Gun Brand New

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbe-CdSGiJI[/ame]

Thoughts?

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    He's confessed to not cleaning or lubing it for 3000 rounds. It's like running your car without oil then asking why your engine seized.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    IMO it's fine to run it without cleaning and lube up until it starts acting up. It's a great indicator of how hard you can run it before expecting trouble. It also helps you learn how to clear a malf under pressure.

But...

Don't you think once you get to that point you should clean and lube and start over? Especially if it's something you bet your life on?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    He traded out the Glock for an M&P, but took the Glock for the class. I'm not sure why he did that, but the Glock was dirty and mistreated and paid him back for it.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I'd at least remove crust from the chamber. Not running a brush down the barrel is one thing, but the carbon buildup on the feed ramp and chamber can obviously create feeding and ejection issues. Not only does it create an abrasive surface, but it shrinks the dimensions of the chamber.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well theres your problem. 3k rnds with no lube or cleaning.

I will never understand why some people think they can out right abuse somthing and think it will never fail or have any trouble what so ever.

Be it an ATV or a gun. Clean it lube it, take care of it properly and it WILL last forever. Abuse it and neglect it and you will DESTROY it. Period.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Well done video documenting his issue. That said WHY would you go to a High End course with a non cleaned / lubed pistol?

Don't get me wrong I run anything in my carry rotation through a "testing" phase, let them get dirty / minimal lube (Don't own a plastic uber gun and will not totally abuse a 1911 or other metal frame running them totally dry) but AFTER they are proven I keep my hardware cleaned/maintained.

Yes it is interesting to see if a platform will go 2000, 3000, 4000 rounds with no maintenance but WHY go to a course like this. If I want to do malfunction drills I will use dummy rounds etc.

Would you carry a personal protection gun like this? Go to war with a dirty sidearm or primary? LEO's I am guessing you ensure your gear is good to go every day?

Honest curiosity, with no disrespect for the guy in the Vid who looked to be a very solid shooter.

Train like you fight!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    As everyone else has said, not cleaning the pistol causes the action to slow down on dirt and grit, or the chamber to become gummed up and create resistance on the case ejecting. It cycles slower, or not completely. Malfucntions increase. It happens.

All that being said, I run my G19 range gun about the same way. When it starts to act up too often, I clean it. I also run Aguila ammunition because its cheap. I've been to classes (high end, low end, all of the above) with a dirty gun. I've had a malfunction or two in class. It doesn't slow me down much and I just don't worry about it. But I am lazy.

I do not carry the same gun I train with, however. I have a different G19 that I carry.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    As everyone else has said, not cleaning the pistol causes the action to slow down on dirt and grit, or the chamber to become gummed up and create resistance on the case ejecting. It cycles slower, or not completely. Malfucntions increase. It happens.

All that being said, I run my G19 range gun about the same way. When it starts to act up too often, I clean it. I also run Aguila ammunition because its cheap. I've been to classes (high end, low end, all of the above) with a dirty gun. I've had a malfunction or two in class. It doesn't slow me down much and I just don't worry about it. But I am lazy.

I do not carry the same gun I train with, however. I have a different G19 that I carry.

Why do you have a different G19 to train with?

Top Bottom