• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Ok, so I'm a private collector but not all that familiar with the NFA market so I'm posting what I'd like to do to get some info from the more knowledgeable NFA guys.

I would like to purchase an MP5.....I know there are a few clone's which can be purchased which are not NFA...... I'm not opposed to these clones but I do want it to be an acual "clone" with the original HK design (rollers) rather than some other design like a blowback....of course I would prefer an actual HK, but I'm more concerned with design than anything............I DO NOT CARE that it is full auto...in fact I would rather have semi.....HOWEVER I do want to SBR it, whether it is already or not makes no difference........so my question(s) are.......what do you recommend to meet these requirements? Brand(s)? How much do they run? Is there any specific place where they can be found/purchased on a regular basis?

i've seen several different clone manufacturers, but not being familiar with the clones I don't know which ones are better quality, closest to Hk's design, etc.....and I don't know which ones are still being made or have gone out of business............so what do you guys have to offer in the way of advice??

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    How much are you looking to spend. the hk umc to USC conversions cost around 3k and are TOP NOTCH and make great SBRs. way better than any hk clone you can buy, as they are all pretty much hit or miss with more being miss.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    but are only available in .45...

For a 9mm, I'd look for a real-deal HK94 if money is no object, or a Vector 9mm if it is.

i have seen .40 .357 sig and 9mm conversions on gunbroker in the past. how well they run w/ both barrel change AND modifying magazines to work with the smaller calibers i have no idea, but have never read one bad thing about them.

the vector clones though, i dont think i would EVER trust one to run 100 percent.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    i have seen .40 .357 sig and 9mm conversions on gunbroker in the past. how well they run w/ both barrel change AND modifying magazines to work with the smaller calibers i have no idea, but have never read one bad thing about them.

the vector clones though, i dont think i would EVER trust one to run 100 percent.

why is that? I found two at the last show....$1700

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    price isn't a concern too much for what I want..........an MP5 SBR semi auto 9mm...regardless of who's name is on it, so long as it works and is consistent with an original HK design.....specifically knowing there are some which have altered the recoil system....which I don't want

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i dont know why it is, it just is. sometimes you can tweak the mags and eliminate the failure to feeds. i have not found a cure for the failure to ejects. i have had two come accross my bench that i was hell bent on getting them to at least 98 percent. 6 hours on each and i lost so much money and my head was spinning so badly i decided i would NEVER take another one in for work. funny thing is i almost bought one on this board a few weeks ago to just prove to myself that i could do it. a few emails w/ the seller and i decided i didnt even want to bother.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    hmm...while I'm not afraid of a mechanical challenge...I still think I'll stay away from Vectors.....if they fail that much then they would have to be quite a bit different from the HK design !?!?!

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Then go HK94 and don't look back.

What he said. You will be happier in the end since most clones will need some or a lot of tweaking with adding original HK parts to make it run, maybe. A real HK has a lot of value over the clones for a reason. You can expect to spend about $4000 + for a HK94 converted to a SBR MP5 semi.

Chuck

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    If you are looking an authentic HK in semi auto you would be looking for an HK-94 for a rifle or SP-89 for a pistol. To give you an idea of what authentic HK's are going for, I just sold an HK 94 for $3500.00.

For the clones, do some research over on HKpro.com

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'll probably go the HK94 route...then SBR it later...........they don't seem to be the easiest to find for sale.....I take it they are no longer importing them?

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Go with a Dakota Tactical. Its about the best clone money can buy. Not cheap, but ive never heard a bad thing about them besides the price.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There were plenty of real H&K at the Knob Creek gun show. They weren't cheap though. I think the cheapest sear ready MP-5 SBR transfer was ~$4000.

You can't beat the real thing though. Mine has ran flawlessly for thousands of rounds with only 1 broken roller retainer plate during the silenced Hush Indiana shoot.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    There were plenty of real H&K at the Knob Creek gun show. They weren't cheap though. I think the cheapest sear ready MP-5 SBR transfer was ~$4000.

You can't beat the real thing though. Mine has ran flawlessly for thousands of rounds with only 1 broken roller retainer plate during the silenced Hush Indiana shoot.

when I'm ready to buy I'm not at all afraid of 4k for that weapon....it's my "unicorn" weapon...just a personal favorite.....only had access to them in the Corps for select operations...but I love them......I'd lay down a full scale assault on every drug cartel in Mexico to get one as a civilian if I had to...lol

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I know of the burning desire for an MP5.... my infection is for the MP5k PDW, in three round burst, and suppressed, of course.... :D

wow, just read this post....makes it sound like I have a condition of questionable origin! :):

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    The HK 94 would be the most expensive way to go .
    From your post . Your not a HK collector , so why pay 4k for an original HK 94
    Which isnt even what theses guys are calling an mp5 yet .
    You would have to by a post ban HK 94 for 4k the send it to a smith to do the mp5 conversion another $2500.
    No offense but if your not a " collector " why spend close to 10k on a gun you will never even use as a sear host .
    I'd go Dakota Tactical if you want a high dollar clone . $2600
    Or prusic usa ....aka ghilliebear on hkpro forum .
    His name is Jeff & he will put together exactly what your wanting for less than 2k ...
    I have several of his clones ..... give him a call .
    Pm me ill give u his number ...
    He aims to please & his customer service is second to none

Top Bottom