• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Finally picked up my SWR Octane tonight to complete my MP5 clone SBR.

Thanks to Matt from Front Toward Enemy for hooking me up with the Octane.

Sorry for the crappy pic.

IMG_20120220_193937.jpg

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The gun is a MKE At-94P. Started out as a pistol with a 16" barrel.

Sent it to M60Joe to have the barrel cut, threaded and a 3-lug added.

Added US parts to make it 922r compliant.

Here's what it looked like as I bought it:

IMAG0161.jpg

Here's how it looks without the can:

IMG_20120121_155235.jpg

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Why not go the collapsible stock route? I don't know anything about these, so I am just wondering. Looks great though, and it is unique!

Couple of reasons:

1. The collapsible stock looks cool, but cheek weld on those things suck. It's basically just a metal bar, so it's not as comfortable to shoot, IMO.

2. To get enough US compliance parts for an MP5 clone, you need six. I replaced the sear, trigger, hammer and cocking handle with US parts, which makes 4. I added a US made buttstock and US forearm, which makes six. The US made collapsibles aren't as nice as the German stocks or even the POF's, and a german collapsible is like $400. If I used a foreign stock, I would've had to replace more parts with US parts and driven up the cost of my build.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Do you mind sharing what you have into this build NOT including the can? I have wanted to do one for years and have not done the research to know costs. If you don't want to share I understand.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Couple of reasons:

1. The collapsible stock looks cool, but cheek weld on those things suck. It's basically just a metal bar, so it's not as comfortable to shoot, IMO.

2. To get enough US compliance parts for an MP5 clone, you need six. I replaced the sear, trigger, hammer and cocking handle with US parts, which makes 4. I added a US made buttstock and US forearm, which makes six. The US made collapsibles aren't as nice as the German stocks or even the POF's, and a german collapsible is like $400. If I used a foreign stock, I would've had to replace more parts with US parts and driven up the cost of my build.
    Okay, I understand the compliance parts issue, I am dealing with that right now with my Draco, I just didn't think about the fact that it would also apply to an H&K. Also I can see that the collapsible would probably not be comfy. Either way, it looks pretty sweet!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Do you mind sharing what you have into this build NOT including the can? I have wanted to do one for years and have not done the research to know costs. If you don't want to share I understand.

No problem.

$1200 - MKE Pistol
    $ 100 - Stock and Foreend
    $ 100 - Compliance parts
    $ 250 - Gunsmithing (cut, thread and 3-lug)
    $ 75 - Engraving
    $ 200 - Tax stamp

$1825 - Total build cost

Later I can post a cheaper option to do this build that doesnt require the gunsmithing.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'll agree about the stock. While the collapsible looks sweet the fixed sure does shoot better.

Have you thought about sights yet? I've got a low profile claw /picatiny rail with a Trijicon RMR dual but I'd really like to have something co-witnessed. I doubt anyone makes anything that sits that low without welding to the upper.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Couple of reasons:

That stock felt nice for sure. I liked it a lot!

Top Bottom