• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I hate to say these words out loud...but I have kinda reached a Firearm Nirvana. I have all the necessary guns for my sport, self protection/home defense and group standard for SHTF. I am now in the "always wanted" and collectors area of firearm ownership. Please no stupid comments on how rediculous the above sounds, YES I KNOW THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS OWNING ENOUGH!!!:popcorn:

So on the top 10 of my list is the GSG-5 or MP5 depending on funds. Is this a great gun to own all the time or just a "fun gun to shot"... don't waste your money? I don't really need another .22 as I have a 10/22 a Mark III and a bolt. However it has a very cool Tom Clancy feel to it, and who knows when I might have to take some revenge into my own hands when some middle eastern terrorist might kidnap my family.:dunno:

Maybe I should just hold out for the Olympic Arms 9mm that uses glock mags.

What do you think INGO?

GSG5.jpg

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have the GSG-5P and the 5PK and love them.

You will not regret getting a GSG. Fun guns and cheap to shoot.

Plus, they can be made to look very tacticool as well. :D

I'm going to SBR one of mine and get a suppressor when I get off my lazy butt and do it.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Extra mags are about $30.

I've collected about 15 of them at this point. You need lots of mags because you go through a lot of ammo with these fun guns!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have one and it is a bunch of fun. Has the feel of the firearm that ATF doesn't want us to have, until you pull the trigger. Lack of recoil, plus superb accurace, and the reliability of the real deal makes for a great rifle.

As for mags, the new Pro-mags are excellent mags. Never thought I would say that about a Pro-mag, but their GSG-5 mags are as reliable as the factory mags, and at $14 or so a much better deal.

Little funny story about the GSG-5 recoil. My daughter, who is well known as a great handler of all types of firearm, put down a MAK-90 she was playing with to shoot the GSG-5 for the first time. On her first shot she almost fell forward. She was expecting a little more recoil, but as I stated above, the GSG-5 as almost none.

Get one, you will not be sorry.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I think it's an 'extra' gun. One that if you like it fine; and if not, you could sell it. There are some firearms I have that I have labeled as that. I could sell them (just sold an XD9 lol) b/c they are expendable to me and I don't need them.

You'll probably enjoy it; but, you may just enjoy buying a CMMG .22LR kit for your AR and shooting the crap out of it. Plus you get AR trigger time. The kits are cheaper as well. ..

just a thought.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have an AR with a .22 kit, but I really enjoyed shooting the GSG5. They definitely shoot differently. It's on my list to pick up at some point.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I'm picking one up at the end of the month. They deff. look pretty cool, and almost all of the reviews I have read seem pretty positive. I think I am gonna do a lil changing around of parts, and end up with something looking like this....

DSCN0823.jpg

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm picking one up at the end of the month. They deff. look pretty cool, and almost all of the reviews I have read seem pretty positive. I think I am gonna do a lil changing around of parts, and end up with something looking like this....

Sweet I would like some pics.

Has anyone done a range report on the GSG-5?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think it's an 'extra' gun. One that if you like it fine; and if not, you could sell it. There are some firearms I have that I have labeled as that.

:+1: Hit the nail on the head.

I watched these for well over a year before I bought one on an impulse. I've only taken it to the range once and it's nice, but after a while I thought maybe I'd just sell it and be done. I didn't have it listed long, but jsut recently took it off the market and bought some accessories for it. When it all comes in I'll take a picture of it and post a before and after if you want to see it.

As far as the function of the gun.... I can't complain. I use the factory GSG mag and the Pro-mags without hickups. I was also shocked when I found good things to say about a pro-mag. Pro-mag is usually the bottom of the barrel that I wouldn't count on in a million years, but in this case they seem to have gotten it right.

All in all it's a good gun, like it was mentioned before it's more of a fun gun, that I could easily live without if I had to. It doesn't do anything that a 10-22 doesn't do.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I picked one up some time ago, and absolutely love it. I have always been extremely fond of the H&K MP style, and of course this one was much more affordable to own and shoot. I have 10 mags for it and put a nice, fairly inexpensive red dot on it, and it is extremely accurate. I don't have an official range report, but at 50-75 yards I can consistently spin the 3"-5" spinner targets. (Some of the inconsistency comes from my own urge to fire rapidly down range.) :ar15:

I have had one jam with it, and that is when a friend unknowingly loaded his Remington Bulk in the mag. I use the federal bulk pack, and it has never had a single issue running that ammo.

I have no intentions of getting rid of mine, and I rarely make a trip to the range without it. Aside from my 10/22 bull barrel and my carry piece, this gets more action than any other that I own.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana

I did a mini range report many months ago. I can't seem to find it, though.

What I can tell you is that both my GSGs (I have the P and PK) have eaten everything I've fed them, with the exception of a couple of FTE early on with that cheap Remington green box .22lr.

Accuracy is pretty good. I have cheap red dot sights on both of mine. I used an HK rail to mount the red dots. You can find these on the internet fairly easily or on several GSG specific forums.

I have honestly never used the iron sights on the guns, so I can't speak about those.

Cleaning the guns is not my favorite. You've got to remove screws and getting the receiver separated from the rest of the gun always causes me some trouble. But I'm sort of a mechanical idiot. I can always get things back together -- it just takes me a little time.

Fit and finish on the guns is good as well. They feel like solid in my hand and the finish is pretty nice. It's not the most durable, though. It scatches fairly easy.

You can really accesorize the GSGs. Like I said in an earlier post, I plan on purchasing a supressor and making my 5PK into an SBR. It will be a sweet little gun when it is finished.

The barrels can readily accept a supressor with an inexpensive adaptor.

There is an informative GSG forum on AR15.com. Lots of great photos and mod suggestions there.

i hope this helps a little!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Cleaning the guns is not my favorite. You've got to remove screws and getting the receiver separated from the rest of the gun always causes me some trouble.

I took my completely apart the other night and cleaned it and it was a pain in the rear until the lightbulb turned on. I keep a couple spray cans of Carbon cleaner handy for tricky guns. It's not the best technique because it takes out every lubricant in the gun, but it works well to remove the junk. I was amazed at how much crud came out when I sprayed it. I then cycled and added oil to the gun until it sounded slick and smooth again.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

I've posted mine a couple of times. It's more reliable than a 10/22 and just as accurate as a 16" 10/22.

By far it's my favorite plinker. Comparing it to a 9mm conversion is wrong IMO. You get 400 pulls of the trigger with the GSG 5 compared to 50 with a 9mm.

Getting a .22lr conversion for an AR... #1 .22lr is dirty. Very dirty. Unless you have a junk AR laying around I wouldn't want all that crap in my AR's gas system. They won't be nearly as accurate either w/o a .22lr barrel. Which leads to the complete .22lr AR upper... why buy a .22lr AR upper when you could buy a complete GSG5 for the same price and have 2 guns? Why buy the .22lr upper when you could buy a 5.45x39 AR upper that takes $17 30 round magazines and shoots the AK74 round at $150 per 1,080 rounds?

To me the .22lr AR upper filled a small gap in time when there wasn't a cool .22lr to shoot and there weren't any other inexpensive caliber conversions you could buy.

Buy the GSG5 before any other .22lr. If you want a new upper for your AR get a chromed barrel S&W 5.45x39 upper.

As for magazines, never tried the promags, but I bought all my factory gsg5 mags the week before obama won it, so I payed 20 bucks each (yeah I maxed out every card I had that week, lol).

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've posted mine a couple of times. It's more reliable than a 10/22 and just as accurate as a 16" 10/22.

By far it's my favorite plinker. Comparing it to a 9mm conversion is wrong IMO. You get 400 pulls of the trigger with the GSG 5 compared to 50 with a 9mm.

Getting a .22lr conversion for an AR... #1 .22lr is dirty. Very dirty. Unless you have a junk AR laying around I wouldn't want all that crap in my AR's gas system. They won't be nearly as accurate either w/o a .22lr barrel. Which leads to the complete .22lr AR upper... why buy a .22lr AR upper when you could buy a complete GSG5 for the same price and have 2 guns? Why buy the .22lr upper when you could buy a 5.45x39 AR upper that takes $17 30 round magazines and shoots the AK74 round at $150 per 1,080 rounds?

To me the .22lr AR upper filled a small gap in time when there wasn't a cool .22lr to shoot and there weren't any other inexpensive caliber conversions you could buy.

Buy the GSG5 before any other .22lr. If you want a new upper for your AR get a chromed barrel S&W 5.45x39 upper.

As for magazines, never tried the promags, but I bought all my factory gsg5 mags the week before obama won it, so I payed 20 bucks each (yeah I maxed out every card I had that week, lol).

:+1:

Well said.

You and I agree Prometheus! :faint:

Top Bottom