• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeff-223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I think both are great guns. My first choice would be the 1911. It may cost you a little more but it's worth it. I am 5'-8"ish and I can carry it concealed without issues.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    M&P is without a doubt easier to lug around in a holster if you're a smaller framed guy.

I occasionally rotated between my M&P9 and my Kimber 1911.
    I'm 6'1 and 285lbs and there was no doubt that the M&P was lighter on the hip.

It's a tough toss up though; they really are two completely different in design and to many, function.
    M&P would definitely be more practical for an EDC but if you're considering the M&P45... At that point, It's plastic vs metal to the 1911.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I think it will end up coming down to what I fin the best deal on

/thread.

But... Really? For a real-live carry gun on which you might, at some point, bet your life and the lives of your loved ones? I hope you find a good deal on the right gun.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It does not HAVE to be a top shelf 1911 to be trusted. I Know my uncles Taurus 1911 is nearly unstoppable and more accurate than I wouldve ever thought. But you cant tell me if you were in a SHTF situation and the only two pistols you could find were an RI 1911 or a Springfield TRP PRO 1911 that you or anyone would choose the RI.

Thanks for clearing that up:yesway: I kinda went with the assumption that the OP was newish to handguns, and didnt want to impart the idea that one must spend 2+K on a 1911 to deem it worthy of carry for defensive purpose.

I am a 1911 fan, I admit it, but I will agree in this instance, the M&P would likely be the less expensive choice. Given the cost of 45 ammo, the break in/familiarization with a used 1911 would likely double the cost of the handgun, where the M&P has a pretty good reputation for reliability, and could be carried with a minimum familiarization fire without much worry.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm a big 1911 fan and have been for the better part of 45 years now. I do on occasion switch over to a different EDC for grins and giggles but always go back to the 1911 in .45acp.
    I recently had the urge to get the M&P so I went shooting with a buddy that owns one.
    The M&P functioned flawlessly and was a pretty decent shooter too.
    The only drawback I found was the fit in my hand. It didn't feel like the old reliable 1911 so I'm sticking to what I have gotten used to.
    I DON'T EVER have function issues with the 1911s. Most issues are grip, ammo, or mags. I found the cure for these issues decades ago. A firm wrist, good ammo, and quality undamaged mags.
    I haven't seen a quality 1911 that wasn't dependable out of the box.
    I had 2 RIAs and both were good guns. BOTH RIAs had crap mags in the box and was the only issue I had with FTF. Neiher one liked hollow points either and took forever to smooth out enough and find the right mags to let them feed the hollow points properly.
    Every gun is different and common sense dictates buying what you're comfortable with and trust your life to.

Top Bottom